Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 59
Like Tree15Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default EVO 3D optics really that subpar?

    Sorry guys but I feel extremely compelled to rant as I am very upset with HTC and the cameras they put into the EVO 3D. I went to the mall today to spend some more time with the Sensation to put to bed my fear that its screen might be a little clearer and more colorful than the 3D. As soon as I turned the sensation on, I was horrified to find that it was a lot brighter than my 3d. After realizing that the Sensation was set to almost max brightness I proceeded to adjust the 3D to a similar level. Alas, they both appeared identical. Even with a different wallpaper it was obvious that there was really no discernable difference between the screens in terms of brightness and clarity. I went on to test the colors by observing identical apps on both screens and thought the Sensation's colors did have a little more pop, but it is practically impossible to differentiate between the two without having them next to each other and making a very concentrated effort to find a difference. That being said, I was very satisfied and concluded that both screens are in fact equivalent.

    I proceeded to check the cameras in relation to stills and videos. Boy what a difference, like night and day. The Sensation's stills were colorful and sharp - very impressive. The 3D's camera seemed very dull, lacking color, and were not sharp -almost seem to be out of focus. Although I knew that the 3D camera was garbage, I thought that the video capture was OK. Boy was I wrong. The T-mobile rep, a friend of mine since I have spent so many hours with his model, pulled out his Galaxy S and took a short video of the activity in the mall. The video was very impressive, sharp, vibrant, looked like a professional camera. The Sensation also matched the GS with sharp, colorful, fluid video. My turn.. The 3d's video looked washed out and lacked any color and clarity. Wow...my heart almost hit the floor.

    After all that I was shocked even more a few minutes later when I used the mirror app on both phones to check the front camera. Isn't the front cam on the 3D supposed to be 1.3 mp while the Sensation's version is only VGA? Something is wrong or someone is not telling the truth. My picture on the Sensation appeared sharp and colorful -representing my true color while the same pic appeared grainy and washed out on the 3D. What the hell? I ran a number of tests, same result. I did notice that the image on my 3D was much bigger than the one on the Sensation which tells me they are not the same camera. The Sensation was just much clearer.

    In the end, I think I am experiencing buyer's remorse, something that never ever, ever crossed my mind before. The simple truth is that the 3d's optics got exposed today and lets me know that a major part of the phones upgrade was severely compromised to include the 3D feature. I love the 3D but not to this extent of sacrifice. I already sold my beloved 4G but am seriously thinking about keeping the phone for another 2 weeks to see if software could improve these shortcomings. If not I am afraid I will have to give up the QHD display I covet so much and wait for the Samsung Within. Not at all interested in the Photon and its pentile fake QHD display. Although I like the colors of the Samsung display, I am turned off by the fact that they are still using last generation resolution. At this point I am reserved to pursue the lesser of the evils.

    All I want to know is did HTC really F-up this bad with the 3D optics or can this be fixed with software? I don't want to hear about settings because I never had to change anything on my 4G whose camera runs circles around the 3D in good light and the Sensation had stock setting as well and performed impressively. My wife's 5mp EVO shift's cam take much, much better pics than my next generation 3D. I have taken well over 60 pics and don't have one single one that I can keep. This is unacceptable, amazing 3D ability or not...
  2. #2  
    iEd
    iEd is offline
    iEd's Avatar

    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,888 Global Posts

    Default Re: EVO 3D optics really that subpar?

    When I first considered the EVO3D the camera was the last thing on my mind. I had heard so many great things about the EVO 4G model except the battery life. So I waited for the update model. I would have preferred a 8 or 10 MP single cam but the 3D is fun.

    The cam does have some issue but I have been in the new smart phone game since the IPhone 1st gen and that was a dog as far as making phone calls you couldn't even copy and paste with the original iOS but eventually they got it right.

    Maybe HTC will get it right with the cam but I think they may drop 3D in the next model EVO like I said it's fun. Some of the 3D content I have viewed really jumps off the screen but you really don't need it.

    The price we pay for getting the first one of anything is that it's kinda of a test model I knew that going in with THE EVO3D just like I knew that going in with the Iphone-1 As far as the other features of the EVO3D they are great, more than great.

    As I have mentioned before on this forum. Look at the Iphone 4 you cant hold it this way fiasco. I'd much rather have a so so cam than I cant hold the phone a certain way.


    For me taking pictures is the last thing I will ever do on this phone. I have a Nikon for when I really want to take pictures.

    Email, texts, phone calls ,internet is what I use it for. For these things it's one of the best out there.
  3. #3  
    dtblair24's Avatar

    Posts
    185 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 10

    Default Re: EVO 3D optics really that subpar?

    Well I am no expert whatsoever but I hear people claim that it's all in the software, so hopefully they can do something to help our cameras out a bit. I have never been phased by the camera too much, but I did feel ****ty when I compared my cam to a nexus s 4g for some indoor situations with no natural light.
  4. #4  
    Viscott's Avatar

    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

    Default Re: EVO 3D optics really that subpar?

    I agree with the OP. The camera just sucks big time on the EVO 3D. I like to use the camera on the phone to send a tweet of the food I am about to eat or maybe a nice Cali sunset. The close up shots are blurry and very grainy (Noise) compared to the clear crisp pictures I used to be able to take on my EVO 4G. Maybe the optics are fine and they can fix it with software, but I doubt it. The sensors in the new camera have to be less quality then the 4G with the amount of noise and flat colors. I find that I have to over expose the shots 1 stop. What you see on screen is always brighter than what is captured. The photos are under exposed, washed and very, very noisy.

    I am a pro photographer and shoot with a Nikon D3s. So I know a thing or two about camera noise. Now I know it's a camera in a phone, I am just saying it's a major step down from the EVO 4G.

    Still love the phone but the 3D I can do without if there was a compromise in the camera.

    HTC: Maybe you should have asked your customers a simple question; Do you want 3D if it will sacrifice 2D camera picture quality? Yes - No?

    You can't really share your 3D pictures so what is the point, the 3D wow, neato factor has worn off.

    I think Sense 3.0 on the EVO 4G would make me happy.

    --Jon
    HTC One (M8)
    Treo 700w > Blackberry 8830 > Instinct > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D > HTC EVO 4G LTE > HTC One (M7) > HTC One (M8)
    Thanked by:
    linzgeneral likes this.
  5. #5  
    Cubfan's Avatar

    Posts
    965 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    There is always going to be something.

    Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
  6. #6  

    Default Re: EVO 3D optics really that subpar?

    I dont think the problem is the camera on the 3D, i think the problem is you guys. NOT trying to be an *** either. Im just saying, the camera on the Evo 3D is a BILLION times better than the 4G. Like its not even close, it flat out embarrasses the 4G in every fathomable way... Compared to other cameras, it certainly holds its own, especially in low light. Hell i rarely even use the flash anymore. I think people expectations are just a bit too high. MP's don't mean squat. Its all about the sensor. Is it perfect? Of course not. But the camera quality is still pretty damn good. Here's a couple of pictures I've taken so far. A couple of Macro shots (which the 4G could NEVER do), and a couple of other pictures including a low light picture and one with lots of color...


    Two low light pictures, no flash used. Notice there's ZERO "noise" ...





    3 macro shots.. Evo 4G could NEVER do this..







    And just a couple of regular pictures..





    Color looks fine to me..




    Are these professional grade pictures? Of course not. But what phone can take professional grade pictures? For what people typically take pictures for, social network and small prints, its more than suffice.
    How to flash a rom on your htc Evo
    Proud owner of a CR-48--My review of my CR-48

    iPhone > Instinct > Hero > Evo 4G > Evo 3D

    Evo 3D OOWNNSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Twitter

    PS3- SpiderMonkee
    Thanked by 6:
    CarrieK likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: EVO 3D optics really that subpar?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerzyiroc View Post
    I dont think the problem is the camera on the 3D, i think the problem is you guys. NOT trying to be an *** either. Im just saying, the camera on the Evo 3D is a BILLION times better than the 4G. Like its not even close, it flat out embarrasses the 4G in every fathomable way... Compared to other cameras, it certainly holds its own, especially in low light. Hell i rarely even use the flash anymore. I think people expectations are just a bit too high. MP's don't mean squat. Its all about the sensor. Is it perfect? Of course not. But the camera quality is still pretty damn good. Here's a couple of pictures I've taken so far. A couple of Macro shots (which the 4G could NEVER do), and a couple of other pictures including a low light picture and one with lots of color...


    Two low light pictures, no flash used. Notice there's ZERO "noise" ...





    3 macro shots.. Evo 4G could NEVER do this..







    And just a couple of regular pictures..





    Color looks fine to me..




    Are these professional grade pictures? Of course not. But what phone can take professional grade pictures? For what people typically take pictures for, social network and small prints, its more than suffice.
    Thanks for sharing your pics, they look far better than what I've been able to capture. what are your settings? BTW, my 4G took better pics than these (in adequate light)
    Thanked by:
    Jerzyiroc likes this.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: EVO 3D optics really that subpar?

    Quote Originally Posted by linzgeneral View Post
    Thanks for sharing your pics, they look far better than what I've been able to capture. what are your settings? BTW, my 4G took better pics than these (in adequate light)
    The settings are stock. I never touched them. The key for me is to always half press the camera button to let it focus before taking the picture. Before that i would just go all willy nilly and just snap the picture and they always looked like crap lol. My 4G took slightly slightly better pictures in absolute perfect lighting. But besides that the 3D blows it away especially in low light. I took well over 4000 pictures with my 4G in the course of the year I had it. I loved it. But the low light quality was absolutely horrendous. I dont mind sacrificing just a tad tad bit of quality in perfect lighting to gain an incredible amount of quality in mid to low light. The other thing to remember too is video quality. That is where the 3D REALLY shines above the 4G. Especially with the audio capture in the video. Here's a video I took comparing the two..

    How to flash a rom on your htc Evo
    Proud owner of a CR-48--My review of my CR-48

    iPhone > Instinct > Hero > Evo 4G > Evo 3D

    Evo 3D OOWNNSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Twitter

    PS3- SpiderMonkee
    Thanked by 5:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: EVO 3D optics really that subpar?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerzyiroc View Post
    The settings are stock. I never touched them. The key for me is to always half press the camera button to let it focus before taking the picture. Before that i would just go all willy nilly and just snap the picture and they always looked like crap lol. My 4G took slightly slightly better pictures in absolute perfect lighting. But besides that the 3D blows it away especially in low light. I took well over 4000 pictures with my 4G in the course of the year I had it. I loved it. But the low light quality was absolutely horrendous. I dont mind sacrificing just a tad tad bit of quality in perfect lighting to gain an incredible amount of quality in mid to low light. The other thing to remember too is video quality. That is where the 3D REALLY shines above the 4G. Especially with the audio capture in the video. Here's a video I took comparing the two..

    Thanks, good video, made me feel a bit better. Now if I could only get my 3D cam to perform like yours ...lol...
  10. #10  
    Viscott's Avatar

    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

    Default Re: EVO 3D optics really that subpar?

    Some samples from the 3D.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EVO 3D optics really that subpar?-full.jpg   EVO 3D optics really that subpar?-1024.jpg   EVO 3D optics really that subpar?-rubix.jpg  
    HTC One (M8)
    Treo 700w > Blackberry 8830 > Instinct > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D > HTC EVO 4G LTE > HTC One (M7) > HTC One (M8)
    Thanked by:
  11. #11  

    Default Re: EVO 3D optics really that subpar?

    ThosE are great shots!
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: EVO 3D optics really that subpar?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viscott View Post
    Some samples from the 3D.
    Looks a bit washed out. Tthanks for sharing, nice car.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: EVO 3D optics really that subpar?

    Where did you see that shirt. I want one
  14. #14  

    Default Re: EVO 3D optics really that subpar?

    Quote Originally Posted by htc_prep View Post
    Where did you see that shirt. I want one
    H&M lol
    How to flash a rom on your htc Evo
    Proud owner of a CR-48--My review of my CR-48

    iPhone > Instinct > Hero > Evo 4G > Evo 3D

    Evo 3D OOWNNSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Twitter

    PS3- SpiderMonkee
  15. #15  
    rockky's Avatar

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts

    Default Re: EVO 3D optics really that subpar?

    Evo 3D camera is p o o r!
    Bottomline:
    HTC is deadlast in smartphone manufacturers (camera quality). (SonyE, Nokia, Apple, Samsung)..
    Don't ignore that fact.
  16. #16  
    iEd
    iEd is offline
    iEd's Avatar

    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,888 Global Posts

    Default Re: EVO 3D optics really that subpar?

    Those are some great pics from Jerzyiroc. I did notice in the ED3 video that when panned up to the sky there was green tinting on the sky. I didn't see that with the 4G video.

    I'm noticing on my E3D cam that the more natural light of close to natural I have the I don't get the green tint. When I take a pic in very low light with the flash like under my desk I get the green tint.
    In a nice sun lit room the pics are great very colorful no noise.
    Thanked by:
  17. #17  

    Default Re: EVO 3D optics really that subpar?

    Quote Originally Posted by rockky View Post
    Evo 3D camera is p o o r!
    Bottomline:
    HTC is deadlast in smartphone manufacturers (camera quality). (SonyE, Nokia, Apple, Samsung)..
    Don't ignore that fact.
    Well please show some comparison shots if indeed it is "fact". The shots he showed are clear.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: EVO 3D optics really that subpar?

    I have similar feelings about the optics on the 3D. Although I have already decided (after being an owner for about 10 hours now) that the 3D is not a mature technology, and is not really represented on this phone very well.

    My complaints about the optics are two things.
    1. The camera(s) should have been at least 8mp. No going back to 5, HTC.
    2. I have a purchased version of Pro HDR (great app) - and the high and low brightness controls on the 3D are far inferior to the 4G I would get beautiful (albiet non-professional) HDR images from the 4G, but the 3G hardly has any difference between the high and low capture.

    Beyond all that, I love the phone. Sense 3.0 is great, even coming from Cyanogen on the 4G, and it's got great responsiveness with swype, calls, texts, and all that kind of stuff.
    Sprint Galaxy S3 - rooted but still stock for now.
    Nook Color running CM7
  19. #19  
    tibbys's Avatar

    Posts
    107 Posts
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

    Default Re: EVO 3D optics really that subpar?

    personally i dont think the 3d cameras suck, i just think theyre not what they could be....my nexus s 4g takes sharper, cleaner pictures...there is more pop. The 3d is definitely 100x better than the OG Evo but i still dont understand why it looks so washed out and poopy
  20. #20  
    cj100570's Avatar
    Spoken Word

    Posts
    391 Posts
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean

    Default Re: EVO 3D optics really that subpar?

    Either you like the camera quality or you don't. Lets all move along now....
    It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on!
  21. #21  

    Default Re: EVO 3D optics really that subpar?

    Quote Originally Posted by rockky View Post
    Evo 3D camera is p o o r!
    Bottomline:
    HTC is deadlast in smartphone manufacturers (camera quality). (SonyE, Nokia, Apple, Samsung)..
    Don't ignore that fact.
    Poor? Fact? No sorry. The only fact here is that you have no clue about what you're talking about.. moving on...


    Quote Originally Posted by FractalSphere View Post
    I have similar feelings about the optics on the 3D. Although I have already decided (after being an owner for about 10 hours now) that the 3D is not a mature technology, and is not really represented on this phone very well.

    My complaints about the optics are two things.
    1. The camera(s) should have been at least 8mp. No going back to 5, HTC.
    2. I have a purchased version of Pro HDR (great app) - and the high and low brightness controls on the 3D are far inferior to the 4G I would get beautiful (albiet non-professional) HDR images from the 4G, but the 3G hardly has any difference between the high and low capture.

    Beyond all that, I love the phone. Sense 3.0 is great, even coming from Cyanogen on the 4G, and it's got great responsiveness with swype, calls, texts, and all that kind of stuff.

    As far as the 3D content, while not perfect, if taken right can be pretty damn good. The picture quality can be really good if you know how to take them right, especially if you adjust the alignment as well. As far as 3D video, it's been really good. I've taken some pretty cool stuff so far. With 3D content like Youtube videos and what not, that really depends on how it was taken originally. Watch and tell me it doesn't look pretty damn cool and work well.

    1. MP's don't mean squat. People really need to stop it with this MP stuff. You can have a 16MP camera but if the sensors are garbage then whats the point? Sensor quality > MP's. FACT
    2) Example the Evo 4G. The Evo 4G would take nice pictures if it was in PERFECT lighting conditions. But as I proved in the overall camera quality absolutely BLOWS the 4G away in everything outside of PERFECT conditions. And while the colors on the 4G might look a little better, the Evo 3D pictures are usually much sharper which I would rather have. The 4G was nothing short of HORRID in low light. Hell even medium light. I took almost 5000 pictures with my 4G, trust me I know what the 4G's camera is/was capable of. I'm not sure what you mean about "hardly has any difference between high and low capture". Are you talking about the brightness level of the pictures? If thats the case then I'm very confused..

    Here's some pictures I just took...

    First pic.. Exposure all the way down


    Exposure all the way up


    Exposure set to the middle with ISO all the way down to 100


    Exposure set to the middle with ISO all the way up to 800


    So if you're talking about the difference in brightness I'm not sure whats going on with your phone.. If you're talking about something else please elaborate. Because the camera quality in the EVO 3D absolutely blows the Evo 4G away, especially in mid-low light.
    Last edited by Jerzyiroc; 07-16-2011 at 06:06 PM.
    How to flash a rom on your htc Evo
    Proud owner of a CR-48--My review of my CR-48

    iPhone > Instinct > Hero > Evo 4G > Evo 3D

    Evo 3D OOWNNSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Twitter

    PS3- SpiderMonkee
    Thanked by:
  22. #22  

    Default Re: EVO 3D optics really that subpar?

    I'm sorry but if you think those pics are good, then your easily impressed. Looks like your phone has Glaucoma. The phone is great, the camera, not so much
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

    Default Re: EVO 3D optics really that subpar?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerzyiroc View Post
    Poor? Fact? No sorry. The only fact here is that you have no clue about what you're talking about.. moving on...





    As far as the 3D content, while not perfect, if taken right can be pretty damn good. The picture quality can be really good if you know how to take them right, especially if you adjust the alignment as well. As far as 3D video, it's been really good. I've taken some pretty cool stuff so far. With 3D content like Youtube videos and what not, that really depends on how it was taken originally. Watch and tell me it doesn't look pretty damn cool and work well.

    1. MP's don't mean squat. People really need to stop it with this MP stuff. You can have a 16MP camera but if the sensors are garbage then whats the point? Sensor quality > MP's. FACT
    2) Example the Evo 4G. The Evo 4G would take nice pictures if it was in PERFECT lighting conditions. But as I proved in the overall camera quality absolutely BLOWS the 4G away in everything outside of PERFECT conditions. And while the colors on the 4G might look a little better, the Evo 3D pictures are usually much sharper which I would rather have. The 4G was nothing short of HORRID in low light. Hell even medium light. I took almost 5000 pictures with my 4G, trust me I know what the 4G's camera is/was capable of. I'm not sure what you mean about "hardly has any difference between high and low capture". Are you talking about the brightness level of the pictures? If thats the case then I'm very confused..

    Here's some pictures I just took...

    First pic.. Exposure all the way down


    Exposure all the way up


    Exposure set to the middle with ISO all the way down to 100


    Exposure set to the middle with ISO all the way up to 800


    So if you're talking about the difference in brightness I'm not sure whats going on with your phone.. If you're talking about something else please elaborate. Because the camera quality in the EVO 3D absolutely blows the Evo 4G away, especially in mid-low light.
    Thanks for the pics but where are the good, sharp ones?
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default Re: EVO 3D optics really that subpar?

    Quote Originally Posted by tbistONE View Post
    personally i dont think the 3d cameras suck, i just think theyre not what they could be....my nexus s 4g takes sharper, cleaner pictures...there is more pop. The 3d is definitely 100x better than the OG Evo but i still dont understand why it looks so [HL]washed out and poopy[/HL]
    highlighted quote = "sucks".
  25. #25  
    bdGDL08's Avatar

    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts

    Default

    I'm not disappointed in this camera.

    This was taken with my 3VO:


    This was taken with a point and shoot:


    The phone performs relatively well. I don't have a need for a point and shoot because of it.

    ~Drew
    CarrieK likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B