Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Evo 3d vs. Nexus S 4g Video (side by side)

Check out these videos:

Links posted below (accidently copied mobile links).

Very interesting results.
    Last edited by Tenebrous; 07-03-2011 at 09:20 AM.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Evo 3d vs. Nexus S 4g Video (side by side)

Hmm, sorry for using mobile links. Here are the regular links.

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

No comments? Really? As someone who was looking at both phones, these videos were helpful. However, it would be nice to hear (read) other opinions too.

It may be unfair to test a device with a UI skin versus a pure Android phone. Nonetheless, I wasn't surprised at the results.

I think I made a derision. I'd go for...... Nexus S 4G. Because I am old fashion. I usually check email, text, and calling. I don't see why I want to play games or watch movies on phone in my daily. You can tell I am busy person with great social than isolate and impatient person.

Thanks for great result!

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

I used the Nexus S for two weeks, traded it in within my 30 days for Evo 3d and have had it since the day it came out, here's my opinions on the two phones (watched the first part of the video, pretty similar to what he says but here goes):

Nexus S-- Much nicer build quality, much nicer screen (yes slightly lower resolution, but AMOLED just looks sooo much nicer compared to qHD). Very smooth for using basic integrated apps, but single-core 1Ghz CPU chugs pretty often if you try to get into "hardcore user" type stuff. Not too very difficult to root/flash, I ended up with both vanilla AOSP and CM7 on mine, overclocked to about 1.3Ghz (note, still chugged noticeably on games and other things).

Overall, much better out-of-the-box experience, if you just want a great phone to use as-is and do things similar to what LegendarySoul said he wanted to do, then DEFINITELY get this phone.

Evo 3D-- Lower build quality, I remember being disappointed with the out-of-the-box impression. The back cover is a cool rubberized texture, but the rocker/power keys are covered with it too, making them very annoying to press compared to the Nexus S (this was the hardest thing about the switch from Nexus S to Evo 3D) qHD looks nice, I switched everything over to Serif font just because it had the resolution to show it off and it looked really cool. Not anywhere near as vibrant as AMOLED though. 3d screen and camera are pretty cool, but if you buy this phone for that express purpose, you'll probably be disappointed at the options (not many movies/games, and can't use the GUI in 3d). However, if you just want this phone for the specs then the 3d is a very cool side-feature. Not rooted yet so can't say anything about flashing or customizing. Bloatware boarders on absurd. Now to the good part The hardware on this sucker is just outstanding. Dual-core 1.2 GHz means that even when 3d gaming or doing really hardcore stuff, I haven't even seen it so much as stutter.

If you're a hardcore user and really like to tinker with, and get the absolute max out of your phone, DEFINITELY go with the Evo 3d. Just messing with them side by side would make you think Nexus S is better, (HINT: This is why reviewers don't like the Evo 3d very much! They only test it for a day or so and don't actually use them both for 2 weeks like I did ) but once you get down to the nitty gritty the Evo 3d blows it out of the water.

Hope someone finds this useful, if not at least it was fun to write
    Thanked by 2:
    LegendarySoul likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanx for the write-up. I tend to agree, but would add that while the Evo has 3d capabilities and ostensibly provides a better gaming experience, the Nexus has out of the box wireless tethering and NFC integration. Now the wireless tethering can be addressed with rooting, however the NFC integration with the Nexus gives it a more useful advantage that rooting cannot address. For example, one can buy an NFC chip and program it with their Nexus or use it as it becomes more popular in the coming year. Already web sites are starting to appear that sell NFC chips and Amazon even has them.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

Good point, I remember being excited about the NFC in the Nexus but completely forgot about it when I switched to the Evo since it's basically useless in the States at this point. If / When it gets big here then that becomes more of an issue.

Also worth noting is that wireless tethering can still be done with "Easy Tether" on the Evo 3D already, and of course root tethering will be possible within a week or two (like you said)

ROM
    n/a for now

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrous View Post
    Thanx for the write-up. I tend to agree, but would add that while the Evo has 3d capabilities and ostensibly provides a better gaming experience, the Nexus has out of the box wireless tethering and NFC integration. Now the wireless tethering can be addressed with rooting, however the NFC integration with the Nexus gives it a more useful advantage that rooting cannot address. For example, one can buy an NFC chip and program it with their Nexus or use it as it becomes more popular in the coming year. Already web sites are starting to appear that sell NFC chips and Amazon even has them.
    Honestly, can someone explain why as consumers we should be excited for NFC? I mean I understand why Apple and Google are happy and Visa and MC probably are not. To me, it looks like a new way to facilitate monetary transactions. Are there going to be things you can only buy with NFC? Will credit cards not be supported at the end of the two year contract and you will have to go back to using cash? I love gadgets and new things as much as the next person but I hink an extra processing.core will be more handy when these phones start to get long in the tooth in a few years.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

@Jimmy NFC is basically Bluetooth's cooler older brother.

At its core it's just a wireless data transmission protocol, but what that means (because it's so powerful) is that any 2 devices that have NFC can hook up in any way

For example, as you alluded to, you could touch your phone to a pad at Walmart to pay for something instead of swiping your card through the machine. That probably won't ever be the ONLY way to pay for something, but it's much more convenient (pretty popular in Japan).

Extending on that, if you owe someone $7.23 for your split of a pizza, you could just both whip out the phones and transfer the money over (owing someone money is the biggest hassle in the known universe.)

Outside of payments, it has many other phone-to-phone concepts. The old "tell me your number and i'll type it in and send you a text with my name and blah blah blah" routine of exchanging numbers will die, just press "exchange" and tap phones together and it'll auto-add to contacts. Similarly transfer any type of file, game save, whatever you might want.

Other non-phone-to-phone examples could be ID (the university I work for is especially excited for this one, our current key-card system feels old and we all want NFC-entry to our offices lol), and even to the extreme end anything crazy like house automation (Turn off the lights/TV/AC, whatever when you leave and turn it all back on when you walk in the front door) etc

Essentially NFC symbolizes (but as of now doesn't fully embody) all of the cool possibilities of wirelessly doing things

(lol sorry for the rant, I just like the idea of NFC xD)
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,612 Global Posts

I've found the Nexus S quite laggy because of its low amount of RAM available.
    Its battery life was great though.

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

I think that the guy missed pointing out in these videos AND the SGX2 ones is that the EVO 3D could have been a hair slower because it is rendering much more pixels thanks to a difference in resolution. It is especially evident in the CNN page, where it has more videos and articles listed. If there was a way to downgrade the EVO 3D's resolution, I'm sure it would be just as fast as SGX2, and DEFINITELY faster than the Nexus.

That being said... I love the blacks on the SGX2, but some of the videos the people looked pinkish, which suggests super-saturation... not sure if that is enough to really push me away from the SGX2 if it was out now in the US. I think higher resolution should win out, not to mention that HTC is very people friendly (AND actually pushes out updates.) Still, those blacks...

I don't get why some people say "oh but the best 3d doesn't have NFC" by the time it's actually usable and fully supported her in the states the Nexus's hardware will be pretty outdated. So I don't see that as a plus at all.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Chitwood View Post
    Honestly, can someone explain why as consumers we should be excited for NFC? I mean I understand why Apple and Google are happy and Visa and MC probably are not. To me, it looks like a new way to facilitate monetary transactions. Are there going to be things you can only buy with NFC? Will credit cards not be supported at the end of the two year contract and you will have to go back to using cash? I love gadgets and new things as much as the next person but I hink an extra processing.core will be more handy when these phones start to get long in the tooth in a few years.
    Here is a great video that shows some of the things that the NFC chip can do. This is a must watch video for looking at the NFC capabilities very interesting.

Last edited by Tenebrous; 07-04-2011 at 12:26 AM.

ROM
    n/a for now

Quote Originally Posted by strat1227 View Post
    @Jimmy NFC is basically Bluetooth's cooler older brother.

At its core it's just a wireless data transmission protocol, but what that means (because it's so powerful) is that any 2 devices that have NFC can hook up in any way

For example, as you alluded to, you could touch your phone to a pad at Walmart to pay for something instead of swiping your card through the machine. That probably won't ever be the ONLY way to pay for something, but it's much more convenient (pretty popular in Japan).

Extending on that, if you owe someone $7.23 for your split of a pizza, you could just both whip out the phones and transfer the money over (owing someone money is the biggest hassle in the known universe.)

Outside of payments, it has many other phone-to-phone concepts. The old "tell me your number and i'll type it in and send you a text with my name and blah blah blah" routine of exchanging numbers will die, just press "exchange" and tap phones together and it'll auto-add to contacts. Similarly transfer any type of file, game save, whatever you might want.

Other non-phone-to-phone examples could be ID (the university I work for is especially excited for this one, our current key-card system feels old and we all want NFC-entry to our offices lol), and even to the extreme end anything crazy like house automation (Turn off the lights/TV/AC, whatever when you leave and turn it all back on when you walk in the front door) etc

Essentially NFC symbolizes (but as of now doesn't fully embody) all of the cool possibilities of wirelessly doing things

(lol sorry for the rant, I just like the idea of NFC xD)
    strat1227, thanks for explaining in good detail the possibilities of NFC. It does seem like it could have some useful features. I actually use Bluetooth a lot in my day to day life so I'm reaping the rewards of near field transmissions now. I assume there are technical reasons for not implementing them using the BT protocol? At some point I'm going to get this: .

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

NFC is just a bunch faster than BT is capable of

BT does have its advantages though, NFC requires the two devices to be very close (like you holding it up to something, couldn't do a headset or anything more than about 6" away)
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Bah, I intended to include the link to the video in my post above - sorry. I corrected it and here it is again.

NFC Capabilities:
    Last edited by Tenebrous; 07-04-2011 at 01:25 AM.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

I love that NFC is being used in some facet, but IMO google's NFC app is the least convincing usage of NFC

Basically everything that app can do is like a dumbed down version of what Tasker can do without NFC tags, thay're just a fancier (more expensive) way to do it

When we start getting things that NFC can do that other things can't (pay for things, etc (see my earlier post)), then I'll be chomping at the bit, as of now, a resounding meh.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

I love that NFC is being used in some facet, but IMO google's NFC app is the least convincing usage of NFC

Basically everything that app can do is like a dumbed down version of what Tasker can do without NFC tags, thay're just a fancier (more expensive) way to do it

When we start getting things that NFC can do that other things can't (pay for things, etc (see my earlier post)), then I'll be chomping at the bit, as of now, a resounding meh.
    Hmm, I disagree. It seems pretty sweet to set up your own nfc tags. For example, as in the video, it would be kewl to set up a tag in your car, so that whenever you go in your car with your phone, it will turn off the wireless feature, turn off the ringer, and turn on the Bluetooth. No more sitting in your car and adjusting your settings manually. Then you go home or work/school and use either the same tag or another to turn off the Bluetooth, turn on the ringer, and turn on the wireless. Again, no more manual adjustments of the phone. That is pretty kewl.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

All that is stuff that Tasker can do already though (note that in the video he points out you can run Tasker tags, that's because Tasker is basically a beefed up version of that)

Yes you can't do a swipe to initiate it, but Tasker has like 10 kajillion triggers already, anything I could possibly use a NFC to trigger I can set a Tasker to do without having to buy an NFC card lol

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

On the Nexus phone do the contacts sync with their facebook or twitter accounts?
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

All that is stuff that Tasker can do already though (note that in the video he points out you can run Tasker tags, that's because Tasker is basically a beefed up version of that)

Yes you can't do a swipe to initiate it, but Tasker has like 10 kajillion triggers already, anything I could possibly use a NFC to trigger I can set a Tasker to do without having to buy an NFC card lol
    OK, clearly you have your mind made up already, but there are differences and improvement. For example, in tasker, if you want it to recognize your car, you would need to enter in the specific coordinates of where your car is located and you would need to go to that same location to get the desired effect. However, what happens if you go somewhere else, maybe you cannot find your same parking space, then what - back to manual? Maybe you are on a road trip or vacation, those specific coordinates you entered would not be too useful. Or maybe you can set it up by time, but what if you work late, or go out, what if your are working late and you forgot that tasker will change your settings automatically, etc. What if you are at a friends house, etc. Tasker is nice, but the NFC capability is definately an upgrade. With NFC, anytime and anywhere you are in your car, wherever you may park, or wherever you have your chip, maybe on a key chain, you can instantly change your settings the way you like it without haveing to enter them manually.

I can only speak for myself, but my life is not so organized that I only arrive at certain places at certain specific times or only park at the same exact places. Sometimes, variety is nice, or not even a choice, and NFC allows for such variety with minimal actions.
    Last edited by Tenebrous; 07-04-2011 at 01:55 AM.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

I'm not saying it's not nifty, I'm saying that until it has uses that a 5 doller app can't replicate, I'm not going to get very excited about it, that's all :-)

I have a tasker for my car, it's based on plugging into my car charger :shrug:

Similarly for home and work, when I'm in range of specific wifi networks it goes into my desired mode

So again, there's no situation I can think of that nfc does something I can't already do (as of yet)
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

I'm not saying it's not nifty, I'm saying that until it has uses that a 5 doller app can't replicate, I'm not going to get very excited about it, that's all :-)

I have a tasker for my car, it's based on plugging into my car charger :shrug:

Similarly for home and work, when I'm in range of specific wifi networks it goes into my desired mode

So again, there's no situation I can think of that nfc does something I can't already do (as of yet)
    Well, I am not sure what, if any, effects charging your phone every time you drive, whether you need it or not, has on the battery. However, I would prefer not to do that - unless, i actually need my phone charged. Nevertheless, this is just one example. There are more, for example NFC's can be used as coupons or as means of exchanging money between two NFC phones - I am NOT endorsing gambling, but, who really caries cash anymore, so let's say you bet five dollars on a game with a friend, you could use your NFC equipped phones to transfer $5, without having to go the bank and use an ATM machine (perhaps, no ATM charges too).

Oh well, you raised decent points, but I still think that NFC already has more real world usability than 3d, which hurts after a while, and more future growth potential as well. In other words, I would not be so cavalier as to dismiss it so easily.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

Lol look one page back ;-)

I'm a huge fan of nfc, but right now it's useless in north america. I mentioned everything you said and more, my most recent comments uwere made solely about nexus s's "nfc tag launcher" app not nfc on the whole

Edit: lol after re reading your post it's actually pretty funny how similar it was to mine on the first page xD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast