No root method after 7/11 update?

NDroid0303

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
is there anyway to root after the 7/11/12 ota update? I was rooted prior to the update but I guess it unrooted me. I went to try to re-root but non of the root methods on xda seem to be working with the new build. Anyone know of a work around or a way to get root access after OTA?

sabbys

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
It appears a current work-around has not been developed yet. I suggest following the progress over at xda, I would imagine someone will come up with an exploit. It seems plenty of folks are in your situation.

sabbys

yankele

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Not trying to beat a dead horse, but if you are planning to root a fairly new phone like ours, never take the OTAs as they usually (as on the OG EVO and 3VO) patch the current exploits.

I agree with the post above, over at XDA they are working hard on this and soon they find a work around.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

NDroid0303

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Not trying to beat a dead horse, but if you are planning to root a fairly new phone like ours, never take the OTAs as they usually (as on the OG EVO and 3VO) patch the current exploits.

I agree with the post above, over at XDA they are working hard on this and soon they find a work around.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

Yeah I dont know what I was thinking.

Dragon7507

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Don't feel bad, I fell into the same pit :( . My newest question, would a full factory reset get the phone back to "pre update" or would it just erase the phone and keep the latest OTA? If this is the case I would just wipe my phone then restore with Titanium Backup instead of just having half the applications I have now

Deutch

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
I did the same thing and accepted the OTA. I usually know better because I've been rooted my Moment, OG evo, and 3D. For some reason I thought that not accepting OTA's because of killing root was a thing of the past since the bootloader can be unlocked from HTC.

I took the OTA hoping for a multitasking fix. Stupid mistake.

Dragon7507

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Also there are many of us that had not yet rooted or unlocked at all and accepted the OTA OR will be getting the phone in the near future that will have the update on it, so need to have a good method for those phones as well.

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. Right now, the only way to get root if you are s-on and on the update is to unlock the bootloader, flash recovery, then flash superSU from recovery. There are no so-called "soft root" methods available.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

digink#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
The thing is, that method unlocks the bootloader. I am just wanting to do a soft root for access to Titanium Backup. Not really a desire as of now to run custom roms yet.

I am in the boat of waiting for the kind dev's to crack a new soft root method.

With a soft root method would i be able to make a full nand backup of my stock ROM?.. That is once a soft root becomes available.

cherylbaker

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I am still a Little foggy on the teens used and what they mean.. What exactly does unlock the bootloader do? Is that the thing you get from HTC Dec? So you unlock bootloader and than flash recovery.. What does that do. Finally you said get superuser from recovery? Could you explain that..are the instructions too do this on an unlocked unrooted ota upgraded phone the same as prior to its? .. Sorry for all the questions..it has been awhile since I have done all this and things are quite different and I do not want to brick my wonderful phone

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

hselomein

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The thing is, that method unlocks the bootloader. I am just wanting to do a soft root for access to Titanium Backup. Not really a desire as of now to run custom roms yet.

I am in the boat of waiting for the kind dev's to crack a new soft root method.

My method not only unlocks the boot loader, it also installs the custon recovery, so that you can install SU to be able to root the phone. Use my method, you do not have to install a custom Rom afterwards. and then you be able to use Titianium backup and and Nandroid backup.

for you the method would be,

1. unlock using HTC unlock.
2. install custom recovery
3. install SuperUser (SU) via the recovery
4. reboot

now your stock sprint rom is "hard" rooted. you are correct there is no "soft" root as of now. as of now, you must unlock the bootloader to to do any type of root. if you are concerned about warranty and support. its easy to relock your phone, just a single command, sprint will serivce locked and unlocked phones. they just need it to be locked to run the RUU they like to do when you have a software issue.

digink#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
My method not only unlocks the boot loader, it also installs the custon recovery, so that you can install SU to be able to root the phone. Use my method, you do not have to install a custom Rom afterwards. and then you be able to use Titianium backup and and Nandroid backup.

4. reboot

now your stock sprint rom is "hard" rooted. you are correct there is no "soft" root as of now. as of now, you must unlock the bootloader to to do any type of root. if you are concerned about warranty and support. its easy to relock your phone, just a single command, sprint will serivce locked and unlocked phones. they just need it to be locked to run the RUU they like to do when you have a software issue.

Will it give S-OFF? Do we even really need it with your method?

So pretty much i can remain stock and make a full backup of my stock ROM, that way if I ever wanted to revert/unroot i wouldn't lose my stock setup?

digink#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site

4. reboot

btw both links in your method are broken.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084