Now that I've rooted, I have no use for it.

Pew446

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm rooted, but now I don't know why. What are the benefits of rooting? Should I stay rooted? Any good apps that require root?

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm rooted, but now I don't know why. What are the benefits of rooting? Should I stay rooted? Any good apps that require root?

I see no point in rooting yet because there is no vanilla roms.

That's just me though. Lol

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

PittsPgh

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I see no point in rooting yet because there is no vanilla roms.

That's just me though. Lol

The first and main reason I rooted was to undo the Apple crap. I wanted my youtube vids to play in the Youtube app.
Then I installed Titanium to back everything up. TRWP for a Nandroid backup as well.

BTW: I don't jump on the first solution I read. I keep reading till I understand what is working and not working. Usually by then there are one click solutions out by then.

I did eventualy go full blown and did the S-Off. To update the radios. Now getting ready to install Flex360's Rom. Stock with all the goodies, as he puts it.
looks promising.

Paul

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
YOu can use adaway to block off the adds in all the apps you can also use wifi tether for root users and not have to pay extra for that package there are a lot of other apps you can install that let you do things you can change themes icons and so on as well

DisplacedMic

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I haven't rooted my LTevo yet mainly because the battery is so good.
i will eventually - but it was virtually the first thing i did on my EVO 4G.

As others have said - if you are not looking to change the phone too much (changing ROMS etc) then your biggest bets are: Free WiFi tether, getting rid of bloatware, more robust back ups and a slew of apps that require superuser permissions.

For me the Green Battery Pro app on my EVO 4g was a must. That app alone made rooting essential with Tiatnium and mybackup being close behind it.
I actually rarely used the wifi tether - but it did save my ass a few times when i really needed it so there's that...

anyway - YMMV but i don't think you'll regret doing it now that it's done...
good luck, have fun!

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
The first and main reason I rooted was to undo the Apple crap. I wanted my youtube vids to play in the Youtube app.
Then I installed Titanium to back everything up. TRWP for a Nandroid backup as well.

BTW: I don't jump on the first solution I read. I keep reading till I understand what is working and not working. Usually by then there are one click solutions out by then.

I did eventualy go full blown and did the S-Off. To update the radios. Now getting ready to install Flex360's Rom. Stock with all the goodies, as he puts it.
looks promising.

Paul

I still can't believe that apple was able to stop google apps from launching on a google operating system.

That's just .... I don't even have a word.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

looks promising.

Paul

I still can't believe that apple was able to stop google apps from launching on a google operating system.

That's just .... I don't even have a word.

Google. You can't have google apps.

rsk2mc

Banned
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It's not that they can't open Google apps, it's the method of like opening apple patented in the 90s. The real question is why did they wait so long to use it

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Dissonance

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
It's not that they can't open Google apps, it's the method of like opening apple patented in the 90s. The real question is why did they wait so long to use it

They actually bought that patent and it shouldn't even be valid since there was so much prior art. The earliest I can think of is MS mail before it was outlook, but I'm sure there was something even before that. It just goes to show that with enough money and lawyers ANYTHING is possible.

evang07

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I haven't rooted my LTevo yet mainly because the battery is so good.
i will eventually - but it was virtually the first thing i did on my EVO 4G.

As others have said - if you are not looking to change the phone too much (changing ROMS etc) then your biggest bets are: Free WiFi tether, getting rid of bloatware, more robust back ups and a slew of apps that require superuser permissions.

For me the Green Battery Pro app on my EVO 4g was a must. That app alone made rooting essential with Tiatnium and mybackup being close behind it.
I actually rarely used the wifi tether - but it did save my ass a few times when i really needed it so there's that...

anyway - YMMV but i don't think you'll regret doing it now that it's done...
good luck, have fun!

Can't find the green battery pro app. Has it been renamed? And does it require root access? And for what?

PreMo15

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site

IMO, rooting is the only way to realize the full potential of the Android platform. There are SO many more options available to you in terms of apps, ROMs, kernels and mods...and the guys over at XDA really know how to make a phone sing. Case in point:

48b160da-539b-cf0a.jpg

Home screen

48b160da-5478-b4bf.jpg

Quick Settings in Notification bar

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
IMO, rooting is the only way to realize the full potential of the Android platform. There are SO many more options available to you in terms of apps, ROMs, kernels and mods...and the guys over at XDA really know how to make a phone sing. Case in point:

Click to view quoted image

Home screen

Click to view quoted image

Quick Settings in Notification bar

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

That's awesome. What Rom is that.