Returning E4GLTE back to factory setting when on a ROM

Star-Lord

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I bought an Evo 4G LTE but I wasn't aware it was rooted and a had a ROM running on it. How do I return it to stock factory settings? I've tried resetting factory settings through power button and settings. That didn't work and a lot of the guides on the net and xda are confusing.

I just want to return the phone to factory settings and go from there.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Is there a reason you want to go back to factory settings? Can you go into your bootloader and copy what it says at the top so we can help you?

Star-Lord

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
In case I need to take it to Sprint or HTC.

At the top it says:

---LazyPanda---
JEWEL PUT SHIP S-OFF RL
CID-SPCS_001
HBOOT-1.12.111

First four lines is what I see on the bootloader screen

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
For Windows, first download the RUU below.

2.13.651.1 for HTC Jewel

That is a .exe file. If you have the drivers and adb installed on your computer, all you need to do is follow the steps on the screen. If I remember correctly, I think your phone has to be in the bootloader for this to work.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Use THIS to make the bootloader look stock if you need to take it in. Sprint doesn't care about the bootloader being unlocked but HTC will

Star-Lord

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Great! What computer are you on? Ie. Windows, Linux, Mac...?

I'm using Windows.

For Windows, first download the RUU below.

2.13.651.1 for HTC Jewel

That is a .exe file. If you have the drivers and adb installed on your computer, all you need to do is follow the steps on the screen. If I remember correctly, I think your phone has to be in the bootloader for this to work.

Thanks, I don't have anything installed on my computer though.

Use THIS to make the bootloader look stock if you need to take it in. Sprint doesn't care about the bootloader being unlocked but HTC will

Will it make it back to factory settings though?

I don't mind having a rom, but I'd rather it be something I pick myself.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Ah! You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can flash any rom you want on the device and it will come up as a 'factory reset'. Is that what you are looking for? What it sounds like you want to do is unroot and go s-on, just so you can unroot and go s-off to flash a new rom. You don't need to go through all of that. Just pick out a rom, download it, and flash it in your custom recovery.

Star-Lord

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Ah! You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can flash any rom you want on the device and it will come up as a 'factory reset'. Is that what you are looking for? What it sounds like you want to do is unroot and go s-on, just so you can unroot and go s-off to flash a new rom. You don't need to go through all of that. Just pick out a rom, download it, and flash it in your custom recovery.

Pretty much what I wanted to do was go S-Off, Unroot, and go back to factory settings. I wasn't too sure whether to use a rom or not at first. But if I want to pick another rom, I don't need to go through all of the hassle of unrooting, S-Off, and so on?

Choose a rom you want and flash it, jsut start with a rooted stock rom and go from there. Hrers what i run and its very solid...[ROM] OMJ's ELTE Custom ROM | 3.16.651.3 | AROMA | Deodexed | v3.4 | 3/25/13 - xda-developers
So basically choose a ROM and flash it?

Do you know what rom you are using now?
I believe it's called Stock W/ Goodies.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, Stock w/Goodies is a good one. If you are going to flash another rom, save yourself the work and just take it from where the last owner left off. I'm a huge fan of MeanBean.

Do you know how to flash a rom?

Star-Lord

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
It is a nice ROM. If HTC updates to another Android version, would I be able to update even if I have a ROM?

I'm not too overly familiar with flashing but i can learn.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
MeanBeans not bad just to much for me..now that mikey moved to the Note2 you wont be flashing updates 3 or 4 times a week...lol

Star-Lord

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to look into that. If I wanted to flash a rom, is it as simple as saving it to my SD card and flashing it from the bootloader?

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to look into that. If I wanted to flash a rom, is it as simple as saving it to my SD card and flashing it from the bootloader?

Yeah, save the .zip file into the SD card and then flash it from the recovery, which you get to from the bootloader.

To be more specific, boot into your bootloader, navigate down one or two options until you see Recovery, select that and it should boot into the recovery software. Once you are in the recovery software, you need to first do a wipe, which should be one of the main options. You want to clear your system, to a factory reset, and then clear the two caches. Now you are ready to install the rom. Go to the install or flash option, navigate to the SD card and flash away!

The first thing you should do is make a backup when you are in the recovery. It will save you major headaches if you don't get it right the first time.

Also, if you don't do the wipe, you will get stuck in a boot loop. The remedy to that is just rebooting to your bootloader (power and volume up, probably how you are used to doing it) and going back to recovery and restoring your backup.

- - - Updated - - -

MeanBeans not bad just to much for me..now that mikey moved to the Note2 you wont be flashing updates 3 or 4 times a week...lol

Yeah, he updated a lot. I was kind of sad to see him leave the HTC dev community.

Star-Lord

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Excellent, I get it now. Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to look around at more ROMs and see which I like. Although Stock With Goodies is really great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12