Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default unlimited.io brings us LazyPanda S-OFF for Evo LTE

Not that S-ON was really standing in the way of us flashing anything we wanted -- unlimited.io has gone and delivered to us S-OFF. Hats off.

LazyPanda S-OFF Public Beta | Unlimited.IO

Default Re: unlimited.io brings us LazyPanda S-OFF for Evo LTE

Downloads removed until DL mode fix is in place.
    My Wallpaper Collection!!! Updated 7/12/2011 (some NSFW)
    http://picasaweb.google.com/102508753250975172853/Wallpaper#

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    ROM
    MeanROM

I'm trying to run S-OFF, and the HTC drivers we're told to first download from the site (the standard lazy panda page, LazyPanda S-OFF Public Beta | Unlimited.IO). Don't seem to work for me. They most certainly say "windows" next to the download link, but when I run it, it says, "This driver installer is not supported in this operating system!"

Now I am running windows 8, but I've seen several posts from people running W8 on the S-OFF thread saying that it worked flawlessly for them. I also tried running the installer in both windows 7 and windows xp compatibility mode.

Any ideas?

It seems like people were able to install ROMs with S-ON so what is the benefit of having S-OFF?
    Sprint Samsung GS3 (cya SPRINT!) > 32GB Nexus 5

Quote Originally Posted by digink View Post
    It seems like people were able to install ROMs with S-ON so what is the benefit of having S-OFF?
    Initially there was no advantage to S-OFF. In addition to being able to flash ROMs, you could flash radios and kernels in recovery S-ON, which couldn't be done before. This was extremely convenient.

With the OTA, it appears as if HTC has locked down the bootloader such that S-OFF cannot be achieved (yet), and reports are that you can no longer flash radios or kernels via recovery S-ON.

So, best bet is to go ahead and achieve S-OFF before taking the OTA. That will set you up with more flexibility if it takes forever for the lazy panda team to crack the new bootloader.

Quote Originally Posted by kbp08tls View Post
    Initially there was no advantage to S-OFF. In addition to being able to flash ROMs, you could flash radios and kernels in recovery S-ON, which couldn't be done before. This was extremely convenient.

With the OTA, it appears as if HTC has locked down the bootloader such that S-OFF cannot be achieved (yet), and reports are that you can no longer flash radios or kernels via recovery S-ON.

So, best bet is to go ahead and achieve S-OFF before taking the OTA. That will set you up with more flexibility if it takes forever for the lazy panda team to crack the new bootloader.
    Krap, of course I accepted the OTA.

I didn't want to root yet until there were ASOP roms, hopefully there is a method to turn S-OFF when CM drops or something.
    Sprint Samsung GS3 (cya SPRINT!) > 32GB Nexus 5

I used this method and it worked for me. But as an FYI, some people have been having issues (soft brinking their phones) so I would highly encourage people who are going to try to achieve S-OFF to read this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1737123

Particularly check out post #475 for the list of steps that you can use to avoid any issues. I went through these steps and achieved S-OFF with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
    I used this method and it worked for me. But as an FYI, some people have been having issues (soft brinking their phones) so I would highly encourage people who are going to try to achieve S-OFF to read this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1737123

Particularly check out post #475 for the list of steps that you can use to avoid any issues. I went through these steps and achieved S-OFF with no problems.
    Before or after the OTA? As of yesterday, this was not working with the updated bootloader.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

I believe before the OTA.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Did it via Ubuntu live CD. Painless.

Mobile post via Tapatalk

ROM
    CM7

Yeah, doesn't seem to work after OTA.

EVOLTE and AC FTW!