Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Now that I've rooted, I have no use for it.

    I'm rooted, but now I don't know why. What are the benefits of rooting? Should I stay rooted? Any good apps that require root?
  2. #2  
    BlackHawkA4's Avatar
    Drop the Bag

    Posts
    2,360 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pew446 View Post
    I'm rooted, but now I don't know why. What are the benefits of rooting? Should I stay rooted? Any good apps that require root?
    I see no point in rooting yet because there is no vanilla roms.

    That's just me though. Lol

    Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Now that I've rooted, I have no use for it.

    The usual suspects are ad blockers, Titanium backup, wifi tether, etc.
    Do a search here, and spend some quality time over on XDA looking through the different ROMs and mods available.
    Check out some of these threads:
    I rooted my LTE and its like I have a whole new phone!!!
    [MOD]Apple Core, Baltimore, Who's your friend? (Apple patent fix)
    [ROOT/RECOVERY/ROM/MOD] - Links (updated 6/29) Hasn't been updated in a while, but still a good jumping off point.
    What root apps are you using?
    Thanked by:
    Pew446 
  4. #4  
    PittsPgh's Avatar

    Posts
    99 Posts
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom Reborn

    Default Re: Now that I've rooted, I have no use for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkA4 View Post
    I see no point in rooting yet because there is no vanilla roms.

    That's just me though. Lol

    Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    The first and main reason I rooted was to undo the Apple crap. I wanted my youtube vids to play in the Youtube app.
    Then I installed Titanium to back everything up. TRWP for a Nandroid backup as well.

    BTW: I don't jump on the first solution I read. I keep reading till I understand what is working and not working. Usually by then there are one click solutions out by then.

    I did eventualy go full blown and did the S-Off. To update the radios. Now getting ready to install Flex360's Rom. Stock with all the goodies, as he puts it.
    looks promising.


    Paul
  5. #5  
    gitit20's Avatar

    Posts
    426 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,234 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ace Rom 1.7 / ACS 1.2

    Default Re: Now that I've rooted, I have no use for it.

    YOu can use adaway to block off the adds in all the apps you can also use wifi tether for root users and not have to pay extra for that package there are a lot of other apps you can install that let you do things you can change themes icons and so on as well

    Quote Originally Posted by Pew446 View Post
    I'm rooted, but now I don't know why. What are the benefits of rooting? Should I stay rooted? Any good apps that require root?
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Now that I've rooted, I have no use for it.

    I haven't rooted my LTevo yet mainly because the battery is so good.
    i will eventually - but it was virtually the first thing i did on my EVO 4G.

    As others have said - if you are not looking to change the phone too much (changing ROMS etc) then your biggest bets are: Free WiFi tether, getting rid of bloatware, more robust back ups and a slew of apps that require superuser permissions.

    For me the Green Battery Pro app on my EVO 4g was a must. That app alone made rooting essential with Tiatnium and mybackup being close behind it.
    I actually rarely used the wifi tether - but it did save my *** a few times when i really needed it so there's that...

    anyway - YMMV but i don't think you'll regret doing it now that it's done...
    good luck, have fun!
  7. #7  
    BlackHawkA4's Avatar
    Drop the Bag

    Posts
    2,360 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PittsPgh View Post
    The first and main reason I rooted was to undo the Apple crap. I wanted my youtube vids to play in the Youtube app.
    Then I installed Titanium to back everything up. TRWP for a Nandroid backup as well.

    BTW: I don't jump on the first solution I read. I keep reading till I understand what is working and not working. Usually by then there are one click solutions out by then.

    I did eventualy go full blown and did the S-Off. To update the radios. Now getting ready to install Flex360's Rom. Stock with all the goodies, as he puts it.
    looks promising.


    Paul
    I still can't believe that apple was able to stop google apps from launching on a google operating system.

    That's just .... I don't even have a word.

    Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
  8. #8  
    BlackHawkA4's Avatar
    Drop the Bag

    Posts
    2,360 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PittsPgh View Post
    The first and main reason I rooted was to undo the Apple crap. I wanted my youtube vids to play in the Youtube app.
    Then I installed Titanium to back everything up. TRWP for a Nandroid backup as well.

    BTW: I don't jump on the first solution I read. I keep reading till I understand what is working and not working. Usually by then there are one click solutions out by then.

    I did eventualy go full blown and did the S-Off. To update the radios. Now getting ready to install Flex360's Rom. Stock with all the goodies, as he puts it.
    looks promising.


    Paul
    I still can't believe that apple was able to stop google apps from launching on a google operating system.

    That's just .... I don't even have a word.

    Google. You can't have google apps.

    Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
  9. #9  
    BlackHawkA4's Avatar
    Drop the Bag

    Posts
    2,360 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

    Default

    For real. With maps too. This is ridiculous. I need cm10.

    Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
  10. #10  
    rsk2mc's Avatar

    Posts
    298 Posts
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    ROM
    Viper ROM

    Default

    It's not that they can't open Google apps, it's the method of like opening apple patented in the 90s. The real question is why did they wait so long to use it

    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    Motorola Q -> Blackberry storm -> iPhone 3gs -> Blackberry Tour -> Droid Incredible ->Thunderbolt ->Epic 4G Touch->Evo 4G LTE

    "ROOTED"

    HERE WE GO BROWNIES HERE WE GO
  11. #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rsk2mc View Post
    It's not that they can't open Google apps, it's the method of like opening apple patented in the 90s. The real question is why did they wait so long to use it

    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    They actually bought that patent and it shouldn't even be valid since there was so much prior art. The earliest I can think of is MS mail before it was outlook, but I'm sure there was something even before that. It just goes to show that with enough money and lawyers ANYTHING is possible.

    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
  12. #12  
    BlackHawkA4's Avatar
    Drop the Bag

    Posts
    2,360 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

    Default

    How do you patent launching apps on a smart phone in the 90s.

    Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
  13. #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedMic View Post
    I haven't rooted my LTevo yet mainly because the battery is so good.
    i will eventually - but it was virtually the first thing i did on my EVO 4G.

    As others have said - if you are not looking to change the phone too much (changing ROMS etc) then your biggest bets are: Free WiFi tether, getting rid of bloatware, more robust back ups and a slew of apps that require superuser permissions.

    For me the Green Battery Pro app on my EVO 4g was a must. That app alone made rooting essential with Tiatnium and mybackup being close behind it.
    I actually rarely used the wifi tether - but it did save my *** a few times when i really needed it so there's that...

    anyway - YMMV but i don't think you'll regret doing it now that it's done...
    good luck, have fun!
    Can't find the green battery pro app. Has it been renamed? And does it require root access? And for what?

    Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
  14. #14  
    PreMo15's Avatar

    Posts
    78 Posts
    ROM
    Viper4G

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pew446 View Post
    I'm rooted, but now I don't know why. What are the benefits of rooting? Should I stay rooted? Any good apps that require root?
    IMO, rooting is the only way to realize the full potential of the Android platform. There are SO many more options available to you in terms of apps, ROMs, kernels and mods...and the guys over at XDA really know how to make a phone sing. Case in point:


    Home screen


    Quick Settings in Notification bar

    Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by PreMo15; 08-02-2012 at 11:35 PM.
  15. #15  
    BlackHawkA4's Avatar
    Drop the Bag

    Posts
    2,360 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PreMo15 View Post
    IMO, rooting is the only way to realize the full potential of the Android platform. There are SO many more options available to you in terms of apps, ROMs, kernels and mods...and the guys over at XDA really know how to make a phone sing. Case in point:

    Click to view quoted image

    Home screen

    Click to view quoted image

    Quick Settings in Notification bar

    Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums
    That's awesome. What Rom is that.

    Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
  16. #16  
    PreMo15's Avatar

    Posts
    78 Posts
    ROM
    Viper4G

    Default Re: Now that I've rooted, I have no use for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkA4 View Post
    That's awesome. What Rom is that.

    Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    It's Chogardjr's Kang Chaos ROM with Pneuma's Iced Out Chaos theme applied. The theme thread has a link to the ROM in the OP.

    [THEME-INVERTED] [8/1-12] Iced Out Chaos- v3.2 - A Pneuma Theme - xda-developers
  17. #17  
    BlackHawkA4's Avatar
    Drop the Bag

    Posts
    2,360 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PreMo15 View Post
    It's Chogardjr's Kang Chaos ROM with Pneuma's Iced Out Chaos theme applied. The theme thread has a link to the ROM in the OP.

    [THEME-INVERTED] [8/1-12] Iced Out Chaos- v3.2 - A Pneuma Theme - xda-developers
    I really need to buy an alarm clock. A real one. I think that's why I havent rooted this phone yet lol.

    Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Posting Permissions