Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default new to rooting, guide to completely root and put on a mod?

Hi so im pretty new to rooting and ive seen guides but not a whole comprehensive one. Is there any that show how to s-off, root, unlock, get a recovery and put a rom on it? specifically CM10

also is there a way to un root?
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: new to rooting, guide to completely root and put on a mod?

[ROOT] RegawMOD EVO 4G LTE Rooter | Updated 09.07.12 - xda-developers

That tool seems to unlock, root and install a recovery very easily. There is also a video tutorial.

S-off from here is easy, I used them on my Rezound: Unlimited.IO
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

so i do the regawmod thing, then s-off, then install CM10?

How do i put it on there?
    Flashoholic!!

ROM
    Bad Boyz Rom

Quote Originally Posted by curiousmileo View Post
    so i do the regawmod thing, then s-off, then install CM10?

How do i put it on there?
    Go HERE and follow the instructions and there is no need to use regawmod, This will get you s-off and then you will need to install a recovery which is how you will install custom roms

Quote Originally Posted by benny3 View Post
    Go HERE and follow the instructions and there is no need to use regawmod, This will get you s-off and then you will need to install a recovery which is how you will install custom roms
    This is great, but if you have a 64-bit OS, it won't work. I was very disappointed when I read that.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by genescuff View Post
    This is great, but if you have a 64-bit OS, it won't work. I was very disappointed when I read that.
    lol well that ended that. i dunno is thre like a video of someone s-offing, rooting, and installing a mod
    Flashoholic!!

ROM
    Bad Boyz Rom

Dont give up just yet. You can make a 32 bit ubuntu live cd or a bootable flash drive and use the linux method. This does not install ubuntu on your pc it just boots into ubuntu from the cd or flash drive and when you reboot your back on windows

Create a USB stick on Windows | Ubuntu

Burn a DVD on Windows | Ubuntu

Thanked by:
    dskwerl and genescuff like this.

Dont give up just yet. You can make a 32 bit ubuntu live cd or a bootable flash drive and use the linux method. This does not install ubuntu on your pc it just boots into ubuntu from the cd or flash drive and when you reboot your back on windows

Well, that changes everything. I have an ubuntu live cd in 64bit, but it won't take long to make a 32bit.

Trying this tonight. Many thanks.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

EDIT: Unlimited says you should have at least a 2GB SD card in your phone. I'm going to have to try this another time.
    Last edited by genescuff; 12-05-2012 at 08:28 PM.
    Flashoholic!!

ROM
    Bad Boyz Rom

Quote Originally Posted by genescuff View Post
    Well, that changes everything. I have an ubuntu live cd in 64bit, but it won't take long to make a 32bit.

Trying this tonight. Many thanks.

EDIT: Unlimited says you should have at least a 2GB SD card in your phone. I'm going to have to try this another time.
    i have seen alot post where it never bothered the sdcard, if anything you can copy your stuff to your pc go s-off and then copy it back

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 10

This seems to be the biggest snag I've seen people encountering along the way. To get S-OFF, you need a 32-bit operating system. If you don't have access to a system that already has 32-bit installed, a Ubuntu LiveCD is unquestionably the way to go. You can use a CD or USB stick to do it, and it gives you a temporary 32-bit operating system to root your phone from. When you're finished, take out the CD/USB stick and reboot and your computer is right back where you started.

More people should be aware that Ubuntu is free and makes an excellent platform for this sort of stuff, while leaving your current setup completely intact.
    Thanked by:
    benny3 
    benny3 likes this.
    Troll Headhunter

ROM
    Drew's CMX/Stock/Stock

How would I go about flashing a recovery without root? I was of the school of thought that it was done by typing flash_image recovery /sdcard/downloads/nameofrecovery.zip through terminal emulator, but that requires root.
    Last edited by Va1ha11a; 12-06-2012 at 06:47 PM.
    Flashoholic!!

ROM
    Bad Boyz Rom

Quote Originally Posted by Va1ha11a View Post
    How would I go about flashing a recovery without root? I was of the school of thought that it was done by typing flash_image recovery /sdcard/downloads/nameofrecovery.zip
    You will need your bootloader unlocked, what i do is rename the recovery img to recovery, place it the folder which has fastboot and adb on your pc. plug in your phone and boot it into the bootloader, toggle to fastboot and hit power, you should now have fastboot usb highlighted, you will need a cmd prompt open from your fastboot directory and in the cmd window type
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    when its done you can toggle down to recovery in the bootloader and hit power and you will go into recovery

Thanked by 2:
    dskwerl and Va1ha11a like this.
    Troll Headhunter

ROM
    Drew's CMX/Stock/Stock

And than from there flash a rom (yours, cm10, PA) with root. Alright, repartitioning for the linux install (I know I don't need to, but I've been meaning to do so) so i can run a 32 bit OS and use dirtyracun. Will report back if necessary. Thanks for the help Benny.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums
    Flashoholic!!

ROM
    Bad Boyz Rom

And than from there flash a rom (yours, cm10, PA) with root. Alright, repartitioning for the linux install (I know I don't need to, but I've been meaning to do so) so i can run a 32 bit OS and use dirtyracun. Will report back if necessary. Thanks for the help Benny.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums
    Yes just copy your rom of choice to the sdcard. Any custom rom will be rooted, you can get a stock rooted also if you want to stay stock

Thanked by:
    Va1ha11a likes this.
    Troll Headhunter

ROM
    Drew's CMX/Stock/Stock

Yes just copy your rom of choice to the sdcard. Any custom rom will be rooted, you can get a stock rooted also if you want to stay stock
    Yeah, but that sort of defeats the purpose of flashing ROMs
    Flashoholic!!

ROM
    Bad Boyz Rom

Yeah, but that sort of defeats the purpose of flashing ROMs
    Some like to keep it stockish and get rid of the bloat and do a little customizing themselves

Troll Headhunter

ROM
    Drew's CMX/Stock/Stock

Sorry for all the questions, my old phone (optimus s) didn't have a bootloader (unlocked or otherwise) or s-off.

So, which should I get first: htcdev bootloader unlock or dirtyracun s-off?

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 10

Sorry for all the questions, my old phone (optimus s) didn't have a bootloader (unlocked or otherwise) or s-off.

If you go to http://unlimited.io and look at DirtyRacun, it's all explained there. Unlocking the bootloader is part of the S-OFF process.

Thanked by:
    benny3 

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

I used the HTC EVO Hacks method here: How to Root HTC Evo 4G LTE! [Unlock Bootloader][TWRP Recovery] | HTC Evo 4G Hacks! If you have any questions about installing the drivers, then watch the video, and it will tell you how to update the drivers. If the video doesn't work, then just refresh the site and it should work.

This method just unlocks the bootloader, so you will need to use fastboot or flash image GUI to flash the kernel of the ROM you are wanting to flash. This site helped me with the fastboot method: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte-...ot-1-15-a.html

You need to use fastboot first, then reboot into recovery, then wipe everything from TWRP, then flash the ROM you want, (then GAPPS if you are using an AOSP ROM). Using both of these sites helped me out a lot, and I am now running CM10 flawlessly even with S-ON. This is just the method that I used, because Dirty Racun was more complicated than I wanted to work with. But if you have any questions about the HTC EVO hacks method, then just ask me here, and I'll try to help the best way that I can.
    Last edited by Cmorris8848; 12-09-2012 at 11:16 AM.
    Thanked by:
    benny3 
    Troll Headhunter

ROM
    Drew's CMX/Stock/Stock

You will need your bootloader unlocked, what i do is rename the recovery img to recovery, place it the folder which has fastboot and adb on your pc. plug in your phone and boot it into the bootloader, toggle to fastboot and hit power, you should now have fastboot usb highlighted, you will need a cmd prompt open from your fastboot directory and in the cmd window typeFor linux you need to add the following
    sudo ./ fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    when its done you can toggle down to recovery in the bootloader and hit power and you will go into recovery
    Otherwise thanks though!

I'm an ***** I think. I rooted my EVO LTE and I went to go flash a rom using TWRP and realized that I was trying to use TWRP with hboot 1.19. Am i screwed here? Anybody know the best method to get to be able to load any image. I can still get to recovery and fastboot. At this point I'd be happy getting back to its original state pre-root even.

Thoughts? I appreciate all the help. Between AC and XDA I've learned enough to be dangerous.
    I love my EVO LTE

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

Quote Originally Posted by andrewvig View Post
    I'm an ***** I think. I rooted my EVO LTE and I went to go flash a rom using TWRP and realized that I was trying to use TWRP with hboot 1.19. Am i screwed here? Anybody know the best method to get to be able to load any image. I can still get to recovery and fastboot. At this point I'd be happy getting back to its original state pre-root even.

Thoughts? I appreciate all the help. Between AC and XDA I've learned enough to be dangerous.
    Using TWRP is fine with 1.19. I have 1.19, and I don't have any problems with TWRP.

i wonder what I'm doing wrong then. It just spools when I install the rom and it reboots. I let it sit there for a long time too.
    I love my EVO LTE
    Flashoholic!!

ROM
    Bad Boyz Rom

i wonder what I'm doing wrong then. It just spools when I install the rom and it reboots. I let it sit there for a long time too.
    Sounds like you need to flash the boot img

You have to flash the boot image how you do it is extract boot.img from the ROM zip file into the fastboot folder and open cmd prompt and put phone into fastboot type in "fasrboot flash boot boot.IMG" hit enter plug in your phone and when its done type in "fastboot reboot" and you should be able to boot up
    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast