Root.. now what????

jramir3836

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys I final had the guts to root my 4g lte . so now what? I did it to get wifi tether not it doesn't work at all. I been seeing all these post about custom roms .. wat is that? two things id like to do is wifi tether and use a usb drive with an otg cable . hhelp and please recommend some cool stuff to do when phone is rooted

thanks

calvinserrano

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Have you unlocked your bootloader, maybe s-offed, or flashed TWRP?

Sprint blocked 3rd party Wifi-Tether apps from working in the new JB update even if you're rooted.

Second, OTG cables have only worked on my phone if I'm running and AOSP based ROMs, like SuperJELLY or Cyanogenmod 10.1

Maybe, just maybe this ROM would be able to fix your needs. The MeanBean Series by MikeyXDA is a great ROM. Wifi Tether is pre-installed and works perfect. It has ElementalX's kernel and it might just work for OTG cables (I havent tested it out yet). It also runs Stock Sense with a few upgrades.

If you are willing to install ROMs I would follow and learn from wwjoshdew on youtube for learning how to install ROMs and unlocking all the stuff to.

Cocomania78

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I have a couple of questions. I'm also rooted and running MeanBeam by Mikey. I wasn't the one who rooted my phone and now I'm a bit apprehensive of upgrading.
(1) How do I know if I'm s-off or on?
(2) I have an OTA update notification. Do I take this update? If so, once it downloads then what?
Here are my det's

-Running MeanBean_1.7 (I know sooo...far behind. That's why I want to update)
-Android 4.1.1
-PRL 25012
-Kernel: 3.4.10-g014d33eroot@abm030 #1 SMP PREEMPT
BaseB - 1.12.11.1119
Build - 3.15.651.16 CL124461 release-keys

I just need a step by step process on how to update this thing. Video, tutorial, anything

I went to XDA, but there are soo many posts and all for those that have already been doing the rooting process and are familiar with it. I need rooting in lamens terms

Thanks in advance!;)

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a couple of questions. I'm also rooted and running MeanBeam by Mikey. I wasn't the one who rooted my phone and now I'm a bit apprehensive of upgrading.
(2) I have an OTA update notification. Do I take this update? If so, once it downloads then what?
Here are my det's

-Android 4.1.1
-PRL 25012
BaseB - 1.12.11.1119

I just need a step by step process on how to update this thing. Video, tutorial, anything

I went to XDA, but there are soo many posts and all for those that have already been doing the rooting process and are familiar with it. I need rooting in lamens terms

Thanks in advance!;)

With your phone powered off. hold the vol.down and the power button together and it will boot into the bootloader. Up at the top you'll see something like ship-s-on or off and thats how you can tell.
As far as the OTA update i think Mikek uses a app to push updates for his rom. If you take it, it should download the latest version and either install it or ask you if you want to install it. Hope this helps, if you need more help just ask.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Have you unlocked your bootloader, maybe s-offed, or flashed TWRP?

Sprint blocked 3rd party Wifi-Tether apps from working in the new JB update even if you're rooted.

Second, OTG cables have only worked on my phone if I'm running and AOSP based ROMs, like SuperJELLY or Cyanogenmod 10.1

Maybe, just maybe this ROM would be able to fix your needs. The MeanBean Series by MikeyXDA is a great ROM. Wifi Tether is pre-installed and works perfect. It has ElementalX's kernel and it might just work for OTG cables (I havent tested it out yet). It also runs Stock Sense with a few upgrades.

If you are willing to install ROMs I would follow and learn from wwjoshdew on youtube for learning how to install ROMs and unlocking all the stuff to.

The wifi tether app from TrevE works great with JB and sprint but you need to be rooted.

[App-Mod/Source] WifiTether for JB TouchWiz Roms - xda-developers

crowrb29

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Here are my det's

-Android 4.1.1
-PRL 25012
BaseB - 1.12.11.1119

Thanks in advance!;)

Just go into the ota updater and accept the update. Wipe the cache/ dalvik cache and th you'll be good. After it downloads it should immediately ask if you want to install, it will then boot straight into recovery and flash the updated zip. Keep in mind that if your making a big jump in versions, or this is your first time trying, go into TWRP and back up your Rom

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Cocomania78

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey Benny! Thanks for the response. Totally appreciated! :) Ok so I did that and it says I'm s-on. Now what? Do I take the OTA update that says "This will update your ROM (MeanBean) to version MeanBean_3.06"? If so, once it's downloaded what do I do? Restart into bootloader? Also my Titanium backup is saying that it "could not acquire root privileges" ? Does that mean my phone is locked somehow? Thanks for your help.

Coco

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey Benny! Thanks for the response. Totally appreciated! :) Ok so I did that and it says I'm s-on. Now what? Do I take the OTA update that says "This will update your ROM (MeanBean) to version MeanBean_3.06"? If so, once it's downloaded what do I do? Restart into bootloader? Also my Titanium backup is saying that it "could not acquire root privileges" ? Does that mean my phone is locked somehow? Thanks for your help.

Coco
I think the update app will download the update and ask if you want to update
As far as TB im not sure, Maybe open your superuser app and see if the binary updates, This will happen if it recently updated

tallcady

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi, Sorry to highjack this post but quick questions. I just got a phone with superJELLY and am totally lost. I do not have google play which makes a lot of things impossible, I just dont have the app and cant add it. So I have two questions, one how to add google play and also how can i switch to cyanongenmod? Thanks so much