Guide: How to return to stock for a phone you think you bricked

Sammyc53

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Alright, I had a TERRIBLE time returning to stock on my 4G LTE. RUU didn't work, I lost recovery, USB/ADB didn't work, and I even had a hard time copying files to SD cards offline. EVERYTHING was going wrong. I thought I was hosed. I googled and googled for days, and couldn't find a solution that helped my at all. I tried every version of RUU to no avail.

However, I DID end up finding and EASY fix! I'm a rooting noob, but I have worked in IT for many years. I was very frustrated with how long it took me to do it. (Please don't tell anyone)
I thought I'd post them to help people in the future.

First, an overview of what state I was in:
No ROMs on the device, it wouldn't boot an OS, it did boot the bootloader, but no recovery. I had the S-ON, but it also had the rocked/tampered warning. I had to do this via the "fastboot oem lock" command (Google it, there are plenty of tutorials.

Next, I grabbed the RUU from the ShippedRoms (I don't think I can link to them). Grab one for your phone that is equivalent to what you are running, or newer. (You can older run an older one if you have S-Off).

Run the RUU executable, but don?t proceed by hitting next. In the background, the Exe has extracted all the file in your Temp folder. We want those.
Head over here:
C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Temp (replacing ?user? with your username). Start>Run: %temp% works too.
Search for a ROM.ZIP
Copy it to your SD via a cord, SD reader, or however you do it.
Rename to PJ75IMG.ZIP (For EVO 4G LTE). Each phone model has a unique filename format you must follow! There is a handy chart somewhere that list these.

Insert SD back into phone and boot to bootloader. It will find this new ZIP file and run it, install the OS, install a recovery, and get you back to stock. Worked like a champ for me first time! After hours and hours wasted trying to RUU via the EXEs (I tried all of them, with different cords, difference PCs, etc).

I imagine this will work for most Androids. Just find the right RUU, and rename the ROM.ZIP to the correct filename.

I couldn't believe how easy it was, and that I couldn't find any instructions anywhere that outlined this said process. So, here it is. I hope it helps.

TaNeisha Seward

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much! You saved me! This worked like a charm!

**scratch the above note**
It appeared to work and I posted success too soon. As it currently stands I'm still unable to get past the bootloader screen. Followed your instructions. It loaded the PJ75IMG.zip and rebooted and still stuck in the bootloader. Tried running the RUU in fastboot and keep getting an unknown error [155] in the RUU. Did a recovery through RUU, tried again and nothing. Still stuck in the bootloader. Now I'm stuck. I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

daemon#AC

May 31, 2010
Visit site
^this with me as well.

Unlocked bootloader
wiped
flashed cm10
bootloops
get back to bootloader
wiped
re-flashed, and noticed that it was unable to mount internal storage (is this my problem, and how do i fix it)

RUU doesn't seem to want to take, did what was described above, still thinks i'm in CM when I try to reboot

Any help?

ETA: Yes, I'm an ***** and didn't make a backup before I wiped.

Jason Asana

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
i have had a bricked EVO 4G LTE for a almost a year now. It doesn't turn on unless it is plugged into my computer. Even plugged in, all i can get to work is the bootloader screen. I was wondering if you could give me step by step instructions and links to fix this problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae