Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 99
Like Tree22Likes
  1. #26  
    BigDinCA's Avatar

    Posts
    870 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Looks like Sprint has messed up another sleek design again

    Quote Originally Posted by Droid800 View Post
    HTC owns the Evo brand. They have sold Evo phones abroad. They made the decision to make this phone look as it does.
    In a sense (haha) they do. But I've read some things in the past that Sprint owns the TM on EVO (all caps), versus HTC selling an Evo. It's similar to the Droid branding with Verizon. They don't own it, but they license it from LucasFilm and they have exclusivity to it.

    There are also several videos around about the original design for the EVO 4G and Sprint absolutely was involved all the way to the end. They discuss it with the design team from HTC. Including changing the front speaker grill from red to a silver grill at the very last minute. If you look back at some of the first pics of the OG EVO you'll see the red speaker. They didn't want it to look like the Incredible that was headed to Verizon (which was basically a mini-EVO) so that was a final cosmetic change they made.
    Thanked by:
  2. #27  
    Droid800's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    3,692 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDinCA View Post
    In a sense (haha) they do. But I've read some things in the past that Sprint owns the TM on EVO (all caps), versus HTC selling an Evo. It's similar to the Droid branding with Verizon. They don't own it, but they license it from LucasFilm and they have exclusivity to it.

    There are also several videos around about the original design for the EVO 4G and Sprint absolutely was involved all the way to the end. They discuss it with the design team from HTC. Including changing the front speaker grill from red to a silver grill at the very last minute. If you look back at some of the first pics of the OG EVO you'll see the red speaker. They didn't want it to look like the Incredible that was headed to Verizon (which was basically a mini-EVO) so that was a final cosmetic change they made.
    HTC owns the trademarks to it, which is why they sell evo branded devices outside the US. The arrangement is exactly like what is happening with the one series.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  3. #28  
    HalizDad's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,099 Posts
    ROM
    Stock for once.

    Default Re: Looks like Sprint has messed up another sleek design again

    Automotive paint will take care of any ugliness...
    Thanked by:
  4. #29  
    BigDinCA's Avatar

    Posts
    870 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Looks like Sprint has messed up another sleek design again

    Quote Originally Posted by Droid800 View Post
    HTC owns the trademarks to it, which is why they sell evo branded devices outside the US. The arrangement is exactly like what is happening with the one series.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    I guess we'll see about the One series as time goes on and we see if ATT's exclusivity is permanent (Like Sprint and the EVO) or if it's short-term (like Verizon and the G'Nex). And you were correct, sort of: HTC holds the TM's for the individual phones but not for EVO by itself. Lots of other people do, though.

    I don't believe that HTC is looking to give the One series phones exclusivity in perpetuity to any one carrier. It defeats the point of them developing the global branded One series to begin with, like Sammy and the GSII. I think that's why you don't see a renaming or redesign of the ATT version. Nor will you see it with T-Mo version of the One S. Obviously the Sprint version is a special case and HTC mentioned that when they announced the One series earlier this year (not the EVO line in particular, but the carrier branding in special cases). I'd like to think that Sprint was able to get HTC to sign off on it due to their long history together and the massive success of the EVO line. It's obvious that they had some pull or the name and design wouldn't have changed at all, for better or for worse.
    Thanked by:
  5. #30  

    Default Re: Looks like Sprint has F*%&*$ up another sleek design again

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDinCA View Post
    You say they continue to do it, but I don't know of the ton of other phones they have changed so drastically. Also, how silly are people bashing this design going to feel when they see it and realize that the changes are minor. I haven't seen it either so I'm just supposing, but I won't be surprised to see that the physical changes are less than anticipated today. I certainly don't care for the mock-ups we've seen this morning and I'm hoping for something different tomorrow. I just don't trust the picture of the Sprint phone because there is no branding on it at all and that isn't the Sprint way.
    Minor? You're way off base. I don't mind that some people may like the look of this phone. But don't call the design changes minor. You could NEVER tell that the Sprint Evo 4G LTE came from the HTC One X, by looking at them.

    Here's the changes I see:

    1. Aluminum band.
    2. Kickstand.
    3. Shiny black plastic on back.
    4. Glass is flush instead of a very slight curve (sideview).
    5. Corners on glass are square, not curved.
    6. Area where dedicated buttons are on front is matte, not part of the glass.
    7. Not white.
    8. Speaker grill is different.
    9. The back is flat, with rounded corners, instead of a the back being curvy.
    10. Dedicated camera button.

    The argument that "the hardware is still good" has merit, because that's what many Android users care about.

    The argument that it looks "good" is flat-out wrong. It doesn't look that bad, unless you compare it to the One X, which is the best looking Android phone to date.

    Call me shallow, but remember when you saw the first iPhones? How it absolutely looked cool...the HTC One X will get the same reaction. This phone will not.

    13 years at Sprint. Maybe I'll get in on the next Republic Wireless beta, then my ugly phone will only cost $19/month.
  6. #31  

    Default Re: Looks like Sprint has F*%&*$ up another sleek design again

    Quote Originally Posted by hodan View Post
    The argument that it looks "good" is flat-out wrong. It doesn't look that bad, unless you compare it to the One X, which is the best looking Android phone to date.
    I'm personally in your camp. I don't care much for the design decisions either. But you write these two sentences as if it's fact, while this entire topic is entirely subjective. Saying something looks "good" is NEVER flat out wrong, as it's based on the viewpoint of the person saying it. You can certainly disagree with it, but it doesn't make it wrong.

    Just trying to keep some perspective here. Let's not forget that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. An angel from heaven to one person may be a pig to someone else, and that's just fine.
    Current Device: LG G2 (D800 - AT&T)
  7. #32  
    Kekoh's Avatar

    Posts
    114 Posts
    ROM
    Viper4G

    Default Re: Looks like Sprint has messed up another sleek design again

    It looks good to me, I like it more than the One X. That camera hump is fugly
    donntiger and darklands_ like this.
  8. #33  
    bigrey81's Avatar

    Posts
    187 Posts
    ROM
    4.1.2 and 4.2 stock

    Default Re: Looks like Sprint has messed up another sleek design again

    Quote Originally Posted by truthteller10 View Post
    Can't understand why Sprint continues to change the design of a beautiful piece of equipment.. Tired of bricks and plastic slabs..No difference in phones and horrible network speeds its time to go to Tmobile.
    The phone is amazing and looks nice you can go ahead and jump ship go to tmobile we are going to have lte and enjoy the network boost......
    darklands_ likes this.
  9. #34  

    Default Re: Looks like Sprint has messed up another sleek design again

    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much drama over esthetics of a BEAST of a phone, spec wise! 90% of us are going to throw it in a case anyway. The rest will have it grab people's attention and they can show off their BAD *** phone (that isn't pretty from the back)! Come on people...
    darklands_ likes this.
  10. #35  

    Default Re: Looks like Sprint has messed up another sleek design again

    I personally think its a great design. Its still a metal unibody, with a plastic case on top. And its good, because that makes it easier to slide off to get to the microsd slot. Plus, it looks way better in videos, where you can get a good perspective of the overall design. Its not a simple slab like everyone says, and its not all plastic, just the top of the back.

    Personally, I think it looks amazing, and most importantly, they kept the internals the same, only adding a kickstand, and microsd slot.
  11. #36  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by truthteller10 View Post
    Can't understand why Sprint continues to change the design of a beautiful piece of equipment.. Tired of bricks and plastic slabs..No difference in phones and horrible network speeds its time to go to Tmobile.
    Yep, do it and shut up. I will be happy with the evo 4g lte.
    darklands_ likes this.
  12. #37  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elvis077 View Post
    Yep, do it and shut up. I will be happy with the evo 4g lte.
    Amen.

    ***Disregard any and all typos as my large thumbs cannot fit the keyboard correctly***
    darklands_ likes this.
  13. #38  

    Default

    However the placement of the charging port was pretty stupid...no utilizing the kickstand while charging the phone...I guess my work days just got more productive...Damnit

    ***Disregard any and all typos as my large thumbs cannot fit the keyboard correctly***
  14. #39  
    cert15z's Avatar

    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

    Default Re: Looks like Sprint has messed up another sleek design again

    Sprint has done a great job. I cannot wait to get my hands on this phone.
    darklands_ likes this.
  15. #40  

    Default Re: Looks like Sprint has messed up another sleek design again

    i love the design! how can you guys not the one x design is meh, its just white, sprint's 4g lte at least has some style
  16. #41  
    crzycrkr's Avatar

    Posts
    1,516 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

    Default Re: Looks like Sprint has messed up another sleek design again

    Quote Originally Posted by darklands_ View Post
    i love the design! how can you guys not the one x design is meh, its just white, sprint's 4g lte at least has some style
    Oh, there's definitely some kind of style there, lol
  17. #42  
    Raadius's Avatar

    Posts
    70 Posts
    ROM
    Tiamat_Evo-v4 1.0+

    Default Re: Looks like Sprint has F*%&*$ up another sleek design again

    Quote Originally Posted by hodan View Post
    Minor? You're way off base. I don't mind that some people may like the look of this phone. But don't call the design changes minor. You could NEVER tell that the Sprint Evo 4G LTE came from the HTC One X, by looking at them.

    Here's the changes I see:

    1. Aluminum band.
    2. Kickstand.
    3. Shiny black plastic on back.
    4. Glass is flush instead of a very slight curve (sideview).
    5. Corners on glass are square, not curved.
    6. Area where dedicated buttons are on front is matte, not part of the glass.
    7. Not white.
    8. Speaker grill is different.
    9. The back is flat, with rounded corners, instead of a the back being curvy.
    10. Dedicated camera button.

    The argument that "the hardware is still good" has merit, because that's what many Android users care about.

    The argument that it looks "good" is flat-out wrong. It doesn't look that bad, unless you compare it to the One X, which is the best looking Android phone to date.

    Call me shallow, but remember when you saw the first iPhones? How it absolutely looked cool...the HTC One X will get the same reaction. This phone will not.

    13 years at Sprint. Maybe I'll get in on the next Republic Wireless beta, then my ugly phone will only cost $19/month.
    I agree.

    Ill probably leave Sprint and join AT&T just for the white one.

    I can understand if the specs on the Sprint version blew the AT&T version out of the water, but its a dead heat. Plus Sprint is not gonna have LTE in my area (Los Angeles) until the second half of 2013, AT&T has LTE here already. Another plus for me. So it comes down to design. AT&T wins. All you guys saying the white one is ugly is the same people lusting after it once it was announced at MWC this year. You're not fooling us.

    Oh and if you haven't notice, the AT&T version looks sexy! Sprint REALLY dropped the ball.

    EDIT:



    Look at this , white beats headphones and AC adapter, this makes the iPhone and any other phone look cheap as hell. Good god HTC why did you up the Sprint version?!
    Thanked by:
  18. #43  

    Default Re: Looks like Sprint has messed up another sleek design again

    Its weird everybodies crying about the new design I actually think its beautiful sucks for you people who don't I love it!!!
  19. #44  

    Default Re: Looks like Sprint has messed up another sleek design again

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDipshizz View Post
    However the placement of the charging port was pretty stupid...no utilizing the kickstand while charging the phone...I guess my work days just got more productive...Damnit

    ***Disregard any and all typos as my large thumbs cannot fit the keyboard correctly***
    you can have it like this

  20. #45  

    Default Re: Looks like Sprint has messed up another sleek design again

    it simply wouldn't be an evo, if it was the one X look. You can't just take a phone and slap The EVO name on it.

    This is the EVO not the One X, if you hate(don't like the evo) then stop complaining and go to AT&T and go get it, we won't miss you.
    Jay901 likes this.
  21. #46  

    Default Re: Looks like Sprint has messed up another sleek design again

    Quote Originally Posted by truthteller10 View Post
    Can't understand why Sprint continues to change the design of a beautiful piece of equipment.. Tired of bricks and plastic slabs..No difference in phones and horrible network speeds its time to go to Tmobile.
    Polycarbonate isn't plastic? The One X isn't a plastic slab? Pretty easy solution, don't buy the EVO LTE and switch to TMO.
  22. #47  

    Default Re: Looks like Sprint has messed up another sleek design again

    Quote Originally Posted by oversight View Post
    Polycarbonate isn't plastic? The One X isn't a plastic slab? Pretty easy solution, don't buy the EVO LTE and switch to TMO.
    Ya and the EVO lte isn't made out of plastic either.
  23. #48  

    Default Re: Looks like Sprint has messed up another sleek design again

    I can't believe this whole thread is people ing about the "drastic" design change over the HTC One X. Apparently my idea of drastic is not the same. The two phones look similar, they are different colors and the One X has that damed fish eyed camera lens.

    I personally find the color better on the One X but prefer the specs, material and design a bit better with the EVO 4G LTE. I could understand ing about specs or hell even the battery dilemna but the colors??? WTF? Get over it they are designed from the same mold with very minor differences.

    Hello people these phones have a bad *** camera that can take 99 pics in like 20 secs. We are arguing over color?

    Sprint has its issue right now, my main gripe being getting the damn network up to speed but I wouldn't switch over to AT&T or Verizon unless it was free. And T-Mobile is only as good as where they have strong coverage zones even though they are not a bad company.

    I'll be sticking with Sprint, mourning the non-removable battery and pre ordering the EVO 4G LTE next month. Either of them are true monsters and would make a great phone.

    Have not hear anything first hand about the speaker volume yet but I hope to GOD that they gave us good speakers. The EVO 3D volume sucks.
  24. #49  

    Default Re: Looks like Sprint has messed up another sleek design again

    Quote Originally Posted by ab30494 View Post
    it simply wouldn't be an evo, if it was the one X look. You can't just take a phone and slap The EVO name on it.

    This is the EVO not the One X, if you hate(don't like the evo) then stop complaining and go to AT&T and go get it, we won't miss you.

    Very well said!!!
  25. #50  
    BigDinCA's Avatar

    Posts
    870 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Looks like Sprint has F*%&*$ up another sleek design again

    Quote Originally Posted by hodan View Post
    Minor? You're way off base. I don't mind that some people may like the look of this phone. But don't call the design changes minor. You could NEVER tell that the Sprint Evo 4G LTE came from the HTC One X, by looking at them.

    Here's the changes I see:

    1. Aluminum band.
    2. Kickstand.
    3. Shiny black plastic on back.
    4. Glass is flush instead of a very slight curve (sideview).
    5. Corners on glass are square, not curved.
    6. Area where dedicated buttons are on front is matte, not part of the glass.
    7. Not white.
    8. Speaker grill is different.
    9. The back is flat, with rounded corners, instead of a the back being curvy.
    10. Dedicated camera button.

    The argument that "the hardware is still good" has merit, because that's what many Android users care about.

    The argument that it looks "good" is flat-out wrong. It doesn't look that bad, unless you compare it to the One X, which is the best looking Android phone to date.

    Call me shallow, but remember when you saw the first iPhones? How it absolutely looked cool...the HTC One X will get the same reaction. This phone will not.

    13 years at Sprint. Maybe I'll get in on the next Republic Wireless beta, then my ugly phone will only cost $19/month.
    Yeah, way to not pay attention to anything. I posted that before the official announcement, as we were all just killing time here waiting for it to go down. If you actually read through the thread at all you would have seen a lot of people changing their line of thinking once it was announced.

    Also, you were wrong on a couple of things:

    There is no aluminum band around the side. It is a chassis machined from one solid piece of aluminum. They just chose to polish the side instead of paint it or anodize it. They wanted it to look different than the back of the phone. I'm not saying I like the look or not, just that you're wrong.

    The One X does not have curved glass. It's an optical illusion when you look at it from the side. The sides are scooped out as the reach the center of the display edge. I love that look and wish they had kept it for the new EVO, but they didn't. That doesn't change the fact that you were wrong.

    While you are correct in the new EVO not being white, neither is every One X HTC makes. Check the HTC site and you will see them in black and gray as well.

    And I got confused when you said initially that "I don't mind that some people may like the look of this phone.", only to end by saying "The argument that it looks "good" is flat-out wrong.". Which is it? Are we entitled to our own opinions or only to yours?
    glazedfaith likes this.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B