Looks like Sprint has messed up another sleek design again

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Yes, yes, I know your thoughts, we're discussing it in the other thread. But I'll still respond. Sprint without a doubt had a big hand in the vastly different design.

Yeah, no. HTC designed it. The Evo brand is an HTC one, not a sprint one. Any changes would have been at HTC's direction, not Sprint's.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, no. HTC designed it. The Evo brand is an HTC one, not a sprint one. Any changes would have been at HTC's direction, not Sprint's.

You can keep believing that if you like, but you would be wrong. Sprint without a doubt had a hand in this. Also, from everything I have read, the EVO name is Sprints just like the Droid name is Verizons. ALthough, I don't know how to confirm that, but I have read a few articles contemplating the possibility of an EVO from a different manufacturer on Sprint

Edit, after a bit more digging, HTC has trademarks on the names of the specific EVO phones, but I wasn't able to find anything for the EVO name itself. It still makes no difference one way or the other as buyer and seller obviously both have input on the device

Last edited:

Raadius

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
htc-one-x-review-phone-2.jpg

htc-one-x-review-phone-6.jpg

Yeah, AT&T won the design award.

I don't know how Sprint/HTC can drop the ball on something so easy as DESIGN. The One X stands out from the crowd of same old Android phones. Im seriously dissapointed on the route Sprint/HTC took. It looks like very damn Android phone, just with a kickstand...

Reactions: crzycrkr

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
You can keep believing that if you like, but you would be wrong. Sprint without a doubt had a hand in this. Also, from everything I have read, the EVO name is Sprints just like the Droid name is Verizons. ALthough, I don't know how to confirm that, but I have read a few articles contemplating the possibility of an EVO from a different manufacturer on Sprint

Edit, after a bit more digging, HTC has trademarks on the names of the specific EVO phones, but I wasn't able to find anything for the EVO name itself. It still makes no difference one way or the other as buyer and seller obviously both have input on the device

HTC owns the Evo brand. They have sold Evo phones abroad. They made the decision to make this phone look as it does.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
HTC owns the Evo brand. They have sold Evo phones abroad. They made the decision to make this phone look as it does.

In a sense (haha) they do. But I've read some things in the past that Sprint owns the TM on EVO (all caps), versus HTC selling an Evo. It's similar to the Droid branding with Verizon. They don't own it, but they license it from LucasFilm and they have exclusivity to it.

There are also several videos around about the original design for the EVO 4G and Sprint absolutely was involved all the way to the end. They discuss it with the design team from HTC. Including changing the front speaker grill from red to a silver grill at the very last minute. If you look back at some of the first pics of the OG EVO you'll see the red speaker. They didn't want it to look like the Incredible that was headed to Verizon (which was basically a mini-EVO) so that was a final cosmetic change they made.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
In a sense (haha) they do. But I've read some things in the past that Sprint owns the TM on EVO (all caps), versus HTC selling an Evo. It's similar to the Droid branding with Verizon. They don't own it, but they license it from LucasFilm and they have exclusivity to it.

There are also several videos around about the original design for the EVO 4G and Sprint absolutely was involved all the way to the end. They discuss it with the design team from HTC. Including changing the front speaker grill from red to a silver grill at the very last minute. If you look back at some of the first pics of the OG EVO you'll see the red speaker. They didn't want it to look like the Incredible that was headed to Verizon (which was basically a mini-EVO) so that was a final cosmetic change they made.

HTC owns the trademarks to it, which is why they sell evo branded devices outside the US. The arrangement is exactly like what is happening with the one series.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
HTC owns the trademarks to it, which is why they sell evo branded devices outside the US. The arrangement is exactly like what is happening with the one series.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I guess we'll see about the One series as time goes on and we see if ATT's exclusivity is permanent (Like Sprint and the EVO) or if it's short-term (like Verizon and the G'Nex). And you were correct, sort of: HTC holds the TM's for the individual phones but not for EVO by itself. Lots of other people do, though.

I don't believe that HTC is looking to give the One series phones exclusivity in perpetuity to any one carrier. It defeats the point of them developing the global branded One series to begin with, like Sammy and the GSII. I think that's why you don't see a renaming or redesign of the ATT version. Nor will you see it with T-Mo version of the One S. Obviously the Sprint version is a special case and HTC mentioned that when they announced the One series earlier this year (not the EVO line in particular, but the carrier branding in special cases). I'd like to think that Sprint was able to get HTC to sign off on it due to their long history together and the massive success of the EVO line. It's obvious that they had some pull or the name and design wouldn't have changed at all, for better or for worse.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Looks like Sprint has F*%&*$ up another sleek design again

You say they continue to do it, but I don't know of the ton of other phones they have changed so drastically. Also, how silly are people bashing this design going to feel when they see it and realize that the changes are minor. I haven't seen it either so I'm just supposing, but I won't be surprised to see that the physical changes are less than anticipated today. I certainly don't care for the mock-ups we've seen this morning and I'm hoping for something different tomorrow. I just don't trust the picture of the Sprint phone because there is no branding on it at all and that isn't the Sprint way.

Minor? You're way off base. I don't mind that some people may like the look of this phone. But don't call the design changes minor. You could NEVER tell that the Sprint Evo 4G LTE came from the HTC One X, by looking at them.

Here's the changes I see:

1. Aluminum band.
2. Kickstand.
3. Shiny black plastic on back.
4. Glass is flush instead of a very slight curve (sideview).
5. Corners on glass are square, not curved.
6. Area where dedicated buttons are on front is matte, not part of the glass.
7. Not white.
8. Speaker grill is different.
9. The back is flat, with rounded corners, instead of a the back being curvy.
10. Dedicated camera button.

The argument that "the hardware is still good" has merit, because that's what many Android users care about.

The argument that it looks "good" is flat-out wrong. It doesn't look that bad, unless you compare it to the One X, which is the best looking Android phone to date.

Call me shallow, but remember when you saw the first iPhones? How it absolutely looked cool...the HTC One X will get the same reaction. This phone will not.

13 years at Sprint. Maybe I'll get in on the next Republic Wireless beta, then my ugly phone will only cost $19/month.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Looks like Sprint has F*%&*$ up another sleek design again

The argument that it looks "good" is flat-out wrong. It doesn't look that bad, unless you compare it to the One X, which is the best looking Android phone to date.

I'm personally in your camp. I don't care much for the design decisions either. But you write these two sentences as if it's fact, while this entire topic is entirely subjective. Saying something looks "good" is NEVER flat out wrong, as it's based on the viewpoint of the person saying it. You can certainly disagree with it, but it doesn't make it wrong.

Just trying to keep some perspective here. Let's not forget that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. An angel from heaven to one person may be a pig to someone else, and that's just fine.

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Can't understand why Sprint continues to change the design of a beautiful piece of equipment.. Tired of bricks and plastic slabs..No difference in phones and horrible network speeds its time to go to Tmobile.

The phone is amazing and looks nice you can go ahead and jump ship go to tmobile we are going to have lte and enjoy the network boost......:p

tjsongman

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much drama over esthetics of a BEAST of a phone, spec wise! 90% of us are going to throw it in a case anyway. The rest will have it grab people's attention and they can show off their BAD ASS phone (that isn't pretty from the back)! Come on people...

anon(9438)

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I personally think its a great design. Its still a metal unibody, with a plastic case on top. And its good, because that makes it easier to slide off to get to the microsd slot. Plus, it looks way better in videos, where you can get a good perspective of the overall design. Its not a simple slab like everyone says, and its not all plastic, just the top of the back.

Personally, I think it looks amazing, and most importantly, they kept the internals the same, only adding a kickstand, and microsd slot.

elvis077

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Can't understand why Sprint continues to change the design of a beautiful piece of equipment.. Tired of bricks and plastic slabs..No difference in phones and horrible network speeds its time to go to Tmobile.
Yep, do it and shut up. I will be happy with the evo 4g lte.

Dakota 35-2

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
However the placement of the charging port was pretty stupid...no utilizing the kickstand while charging the phone...I guess my work days just got more productive...Damnit

***Disregard any and all typos as my large thumbs cannot fit the keyboard correctly***

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance