New pics of Evo One - worst fears confirmed

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
When did Sprint start designing hardware?

HTC Hero is another phone they did this to. Took a great design and turned it into a generic POS. I was really hoping HTC was putting their foot down on redesigns like this when they said they were shrinking their product line. If they keep this up they'll be no different than they were. Still waiting for a pure, uninfluenced HTC on Sprint. Until that happens, looks like I'm still sticking with Samsung.

chance1117

May 8, 2010
Visit site
It looks fine to me. I like the One X better however the battery trade off is worth it. My only concern is SLCD2 or AMOLED? From the videos I have seen the SLCD2 would be the most important feature! Can't wait to find out more!

Edit: Also the battery looks like it may be removable. Looks to have a camera button!

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
You'd rather get an outdated phone over a modern spec'd phone that looks outdated?

Well if its a nexus than yes. Software is key for the nexus. So it has a modern design and at least i know i will have the latest OS in a timely fashion. I know i wont have to wait for HTC to not only make their hardware work with the OS, but also make their Sense work as well with the new OS. And lets be honest it can take months for that to happen.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
You'd rather get an outdated phone over a modern spec'd phone that looks outdated?

To be fair, if you consider the GN outdated now, a few months after initially released, then this phone will be outdated by the time it releases as well. Especially considering its dual core.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
This phone will NOT be outdated anytime soon. The EVO line has always hovered near the top spec-wise. Hell, the EVO 3D still holds up decently today. The Krait chip > the Tegra 3. It will also do very well against the GSIII, depending on which Exynos variation Samsung goes with.

For a high-end device, the Nexus, hardware wise, is slayed by the One X, which should be on par for high-end phones through Summer and Fall.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
This phone will NOT be outdated anytime soon. The EVO line has always hovered near the top spec-wise. Hell, the EVO 3D still holds up decently today. The Krait chip > the Tegra 3. It will also do very well against the GSIII, depending on which Exynos variation Samsung goes with.

For a high-end device, the Nexus, hardware wise, is slayed by the One X, which should be on par for high-end phones through Summer and Fall.

I never said it was. I said if he thinks the GN is already outdated, THEN this phone will be outdated by the tinsmith releases in June. That is fair to say.

It'll happen the way it always does. The new EVO will cone out and be king of the hill for 2 months or so, then the SGIII will come out and destroy it. Just like last year.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
It looks fine to me. I like the One X better however the battery trade off is worth it. My only concern is SLCD2 or AMOLED? From the videos I have seen the SLCD2 would be the most important feature! Can't wait to find out more!

Edit: Also the battery looks like it may be removable. Looks to have a camera button!

Apparently the AMOLED rumor was false and it is the SLCD2. There is speculation that the color variance on the back is due to the addition of a door where the removable battery is, but I'm not so sure. I am really curious as to what is behind that little white sticker on the bottom right corner, though.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
The design is awful and it's actually bigger than the standard one X, this phone will be big with a case on it. I just sold my evo og and bought a smaller evo design and the size is perfect but I might the kickstand.

Sprint is broke anyways and that kickstand looks like it's gonna break pretty easy, i wouldn't touch this phone till the fall till all the bugs and issues are worked out.

I wanna see the photon 2 and what MOTO does with ICS

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Apparently the AMOLED rumor was false and it is the SLCD2. There is speculation that the color variance on the back is due to the addition of a door where the removable battery is, but I'm not so sure. I am really curious as to what is behind that little white sticker on the bottom right corner, though.

Probably hiding a serial number. Personally I'm hoping its hiding the charging contacts, bit I get the feeling Sprint pulled them to save money.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm not understanding all the hate. I like the design of the 1X just fine, and I think this looks absolutely STELLAR as well. Anyone who follows Android would immediately know this is an EVO based on the black slab with red accents. I think this looks absolutely fantastic, and I don't fault Sprint for sticking with the black and red color scheme on their flagship EVO devices (the Shift and Design were abberations in my opinion and not worthy of the EVO name). Bringing back the kickstand? LOVE IT. It was the greatest thing I missed when I switched from my OG EVO to the 3D. I even love that its now in the center of the phone : greater stability. Dedicated camera button to boot? Awesome. The Nexus is a nice phone, but I'm an HTC guy...I just love Sense. If my 3D wasn't so damn great, I'd pick this up on launch day for sure. And yep...I use the 3D feature all the time haters! Haha!

Also, in my opinion, removing red accents from an EVO would be the equivalent of removing the galloping pony off the grill of a Ford Mustang. It should just never happen. Nice design HTC/Sprint. I really like it.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Before you guys go running for a rope and a rickety chair to stand on, remember that pictures rarely do phone design justice. Often times you have to see it from all angles with your own eyes and hold it in your hand before you can adequately pass judgement.

chance1117

May 8, 2010
Visit site

Hope SLCD2 is right. If so this is my phone! If there is a removable battery and a micro SD slot and a kickstand Sprint made a lot of people happy. Those are exchanged for a less attractive design. I 100% okay with a little less attractive phone. I just don't understand why sprint chose red over yellow for the evo series. It seems weird to have Verizon colours on a sprint phone.

Reactions: zhecht

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm not understanding all the hate. I like the design of the 1X just fine, and I think this looks absolutely STELLAR as well. Anyone who follows Android would immediately know this is an EVO based on the black slab with red accents. I think this looks absolutely fantastic, and I don't fault Sprint for sticking with the black and red color scheme on their flagship EVO devices (the Shift and Design were abberations in my opinion and not worthy of the EVO name). Bringing back the kickstand? LOVE IT. It was the greatest thing I missed when I switched from my OG EVO to the 3D. I even love that its now in the center of the phone : greater stability. Dedicated camera button to boot? Awesome. The Nexus is a nice phone, but I'm an HTC guy...I just love Sense. If my 3D wasn't so damn great, I'd pick this up on launch day for sure. And yep...I use the 3D feature all the time haters! Haha!

Also, in my opinion, removing red accents from an EVO would be the equivalent of removing the galloping pony off the grill of a Ford Mustang. It should just never happen. Nice design HTC/Sprint. I really like it.

Changing the colors wouldn't be an
issue, but completely changing the body and making it a brick is.

Before you guys go running for a rope and a rickety chair to stand on, remember that pictures rarely do phone design justice. Often times you have to see it from all angles with your own eyes and hold it in your hand before you can adequately pass judgement.

Pictures do the One X plenty of justice. Although I do agree with you, I think in this case the pictures show this phone for what it is, a pig.

A little change is one thing people, but Sprint is stuck in the designs of 2 years ago. What if the iPhone they got was twice as thick? Or if the opacity was squared off and looked like a laptop from the 80's? Horrible design choices pure and simple. They're so busy trying to make it look like an EVO that they're not keeping up with the times.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Probably hiding a serial number. Personally I'm hoping its hiding the charging contacts, bit I get the feeling Sprint pulled them to save money.

I'm hoping for the same thing, but the change in the device footprint is going to make the standard HTC docks unusable.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
This is hilarious! Back when the Evo and Evo3D's came out and I said I thought they were ugly I got flamed. Now they release a new phone that looks like an Evo and everyone thinks it's ugly. I guess I was ahead of the times back then. #vindicated

Actually this phone doesn't look that bad. It's not great, but it's an improvement over the existing Evo's. I'll wait 2 years for everyone to decide to agree with that. :)

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand people who are willing to forgive this because its an Evo. It's not that hard to have great hardware and great design - many many phones do that, e.g. One X to name the obvious example, iPhone. And these phones are desirable objects, not just a spec sheet.

If Sprint thinks the Evo brand is some kind of magical loyalty club and they can sell anything under that name, they are mistaken.

If this is indeed the final phone (and many more sites are reporting it), then Spring decided to ignore the One X design completely just to make it an ugly Evo brick.

Reactions: crzycrkr

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I own a htc thunderbolt and my friend has HTC OG Evo 4G so I am pretty familiar with the product. I am not a fan of Evo series but I can relate to those who feel the design is not what one one expect. The Evo One resembles out line wise to the orginal HTC EVO 4G but the glossy back piece at top phone and the matte finish bottom part does not match. The red accents on the HTC Evo 4G is sort of a surprise as the come company seem to go away from that styling queue(IMO for the best). Overall the HTC Evo One as Evo device could be better in comparison to the One Series could be a lot better. The HTC Evo 4G looks alot better than this device.

Sprint-EVO-4G-HTC-SlashGear-3-11-SlashGear-409x500.jpg
htc-one-x-photos.jpg

What happen Sprint? Making the HTC Evo One should have been easy. Take a black HTC One X then it's camera, htc logo, docking pins,capacities buttons and turn them red. Plus add a evo logo and matching red beats audio headphones. (Kickstand IMO is great but the polycarbonate body is better...much better)

Reactions: crzycrkr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781