Sprint announces the EVO 4G LTE

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't think he's referring to the name, he's referring to the beautiful One X body that just got destroyed in the new EVO. He's not alone. Forums and site are getting lit up with how Sprint fuglied this thing. Good phone, bit hands down ugly

I really like it.

And this is not the one X, it an evo. want a one x go to AT&T

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I really like it.

And this is not the one X, it an evo. want a one x go to AT&T

Lol, wow, really? Yeah, its and ugly EVO with a 2 year old design scheme. Maybe one of these days Sprint will realize HTC has better designers than they do and just leave them to it rather than butting in and screwing it up.

Also, since no one else seems to be talking about it, they got rid of the contacts on the back, so none of the nice easy docks

Last edited:

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I think it was perfectly possible to replace the sim card slot with sdcard, and put in the bigger battery, and keep the One X design with the polycarbonate shell.

Call it the HTC Evo One X. A much better name than '4G LTE' which makes no sense since Evo 3D was already the succesor to the 4G and it doesn't have 4G in the name.

Why can't we get a powerful AND beautiful phone?

Dude. Lte requires a sim. The ONLY way to add a microSD card slot was to completely change the build.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Who else? You can be damn sure HTC didn't want to dilute the HTC One brand when they stated many times they want to reduce the no. of devices.

And that is precisely why HTC made all of the changes. This is not a One series device, so it shouldn't look like one.

The material choices would be all HTC.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
And that is precisely why HTC made all of the changes. This is not a One series device, so it shouldn't look like one.

The material choices would be all HTC.

Considering HTC just made a big deal about how they weren't going to be making a whole bunch of different phones, and how they were cutting down to a few, I'm not sure about this. I still say Sprint had more to do with this than HTC, just like with the Hero.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
And, just for the record, it looks like a great phone, and I love the aluminum body. Its just the very dated design and the lack of charging contacts I hate.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Considering HTC just made a big deal about how they weren't going to be making a whole bunch of different phones, and how they were cutting down to a few, I'm not sure about this. I still say Sprint had more to do with this than HTC, just like with the Hero.

I still doubt it. HTC has two embedded 'brands' right now: One and Evo. We've already seen the one series, and today we saw the first of the Evo. They are clearly different brands with different missions. Frankly, the OneX design would have been totally inappropriate as an Evo, and the fact that HTC didn't use it proves that.

And people are forgetting that, with the Evo debut, HTC only has four new handsets for 2012. That's still far, far, less than last year.

Also, I think people aren't understanding what HTC meant when they announced the one series. Nowhere did they say that they would only offer the one designs, and nowhere did they say that there wouldn't be different designs bases on the one hardware. What they said is that they would be simplifying their lines based around a small group of software and hardware experiences. The experience you get on the E4GLTE will not be any different than the experience you get on the OneX, and THAT was the biggest issue HTC wanted to address.

Reactions: RUSH

Dakota 35-2

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I want it...as far as looks...It will be covered in an OtterBox or Ballistic ASAP anyways...When will you guys learn its what's on the inside that counts...Kinda like a lady...If she is ugly you use a paper bag, sometimes 2...Like the OtterBox, if one layer isn't enough, sometimes 2 layers, and hell if you want extra protection, 3...Hah

***Disregard any and all typos as my large thumbs cannot fit the keyboard correctly***

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I still doubt it. HTC has two embedded 'brands' right now: One and Evo. We've already seen the one series, and today we saw the first of the Evo. They are clearly different brands with different missions. Frankly, the OneX design would have been totally inappropriate as an Evo, and the fact that HTC didn't use it proves that.

And people are forgetting that, with the Evo debut, HTC only has four new handsets for 2012. That's still far, far, less than last year.

Also, I think people aren't understanding what HTC meant when they announced the one series. Nowhere did they say that they would only offer the one designs, and nowhere did they say that there wouldn't be different designs bases on the one hardware. What they said is that they would be simplifying their lines based around a small group of software and hardware experiences. The experience you get on the E4GLTE will not be any different than the experience you get on the OneX, and THAT was the biggest issue HTC wanted to address.

I understand what you're saying, and you bring up some good points I agree with. But, I still have to go with Sprint pushing for the design. The fact HTC didn't use the One X design proves nothing. If anything the big slabs that differ from any of HTC's unlocked phone designs so greatly prove that Sprint has a big say. Phone manufacturers give carriers what they want. Sprint is behind on the times design wise. This is a very good phone, and I love the aluminum, but the design is very obviously dated.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I understand what you're saying, and you bring up some good points I agree with. But, I still have to go with Sprint pushing for the design. The fact HTC didn't use the One X design proves nothing. If anything the big slabs that differ from any of HTC's unlocked phone designs so greatly prove that Sprint has a big say. Phone manufacturers give carriers what they want. Sprint is behind on the times design wise. This is a very good phone, and I love the aluminum, but the design is very obviously dated.

But you miss something important: if HTC wanted sprint to have the one x they would have simply said 'this is what you get'. They very clearly did not. And the only answer is that they wanted the evo this way.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

kooja_IIT

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
people, carriers have some influence over the phones they sell, but not necessarily are they directly involved in the design process. What most likely happened is that sprint asked htc for a version of the one x to be part of the evo family. Since it would be an evo htc wanted to distinguish it looks wise. As far as the slightly bigger battery, kickstand, and microsd card goes, those are definitely requests made by sprint.

Reactions: crzycrkr

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
But you miss something important: if HTC wanted sprint to have the one x they would have simply said 'this is what you get'. They very clearly did not. And the only answer is that they wanted the evo this way.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Except that business is rarely that cut and dry. That may work for Apple, but not HTC. They work together and there is a give and take on design. Sprint without a doubt had a hand in the styling here.

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
The phone was a joint sprint HTC project. HTC had a lot of success with the EVO brand, and this is consistent with that. They aren't abandoning the one x design, they are staying committed to the EVO brand design. The one x unveiled at mobile world congress was a concept design. AT&T didn't get the same one either. The fact that HTC worked directly with sprint on this one tells me it's going to be something we aren't going to see the likes of on other carriers.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Reactions: crzycrkr

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
The phone was a joint sprint HTC project. HTC had a lot of success with the EVO brand, and this is consistent with that. They aren't abandoning the one x design, they are staying committed to the EVO brand design. The one x unveiled at mobile world congress was a concept design. AT&T didn't get the same one either. The fact that HTC worked directly with sprint on this one tells me it's going to be something we aren't going to see the likes of on other carriers.

Completely agree. Just wish the outward design was a bit more sleek and updated. The design itself is tired, just with better materials and a better build quality. A bit more rounded on the corners, the drilled out speaker holes rather than the outdated grill, maybe one or two other minor things and its perfect. Instead its an updated 2 year old design

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I beg to differ... What ever changes/modifications that were made to make the EVO 4G LTE was done for a reason. I'm loving the name and I'm sure many are too.

The ("dedicated camera button; 200mAh power battery; kickstand; 16GB of storage,) plus a few more is what makes me love this device even more.

What I'm going to do now, is to kick back, relax, and wait for my upgrade to kick in. http://www.blueislandsdiving.comClick to view quoted image

Unlimited data + dream device + incredible 4G LTE speed = Sprint's HTC EVO 4G LTE. Click to view quoted image

This is quite debatable. I live in a big metro area and it took forever for Sprint Wimax to arrive and the 4G in my 'Evo 4G' was basically a lie.

We have to wait and see how well Sprint's LTE deployment goes. Verizon has really fast and widespread LTE already, they need to match that.

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Network Vision and LTE deployment for sprint is scheduled through 2013 and looks to be a much much more aggressive deployment of wimax. I'm excited to see how quick it rolls out to different areas.