I've played with the HTC EVO 4G LTE ... Ask me anything!

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
this is more of a question about the LTE service sprint is running. Do you know if they will follow the path of verizon and let you put a gsm sim in there when you travel to non cdma countries?

Not possible with the E4GLTE. The SIM's embedded, so there's no swapping.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
There is ZERO excuse for an oem skin not allowing you to uninstall bloatware. The only reason the situation is better is because ICS allows you to disable apps and oem's can't modify the base OS.

This sort of thing is why people hate oem skins. I guarantee that 99% of people don't know how to disable an app and thus will spend all their time with their phone cluttered with crapware.

Yep. We've all got some edumacation to do. :p

jlo8720

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
phil, when you played with the phone at the media event, there wasn't sprint LTE 4g correct? you said those media events (for obvious reasons) are never good for testing benchmarking the service, but were you at least on it? if not, was the 3g service good/bad/of note?

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
The Rezound came it at (Launch price)299.00 (With Ear Buds) with contract.
The E4G LTE will be(Launch Price) 199.00 (No Ear Buds) with contract.

I guess those buds initially cost you a C-note

Verizon woulda priced at thing at $300 regardless - their top-of-the-line Android phones always release at $300, and Sprint's have always been $200

phil, when you played with the phone at the media event, there wasn't sprint LTE 4g correct? you said those media events (for obvious reasons) are never good for testing benchmarking the service, but were you at least on it? if not, was the 3g service good/bad/of note?

Phones are always on wifi at events like this

J3wBaccA

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
What color/colors is the LED notification light? Is it multicolored like the GNexus or just green and amber like the OG Evo?

Thanks!

Xxdakyddwestxx

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Phone Arena or HTC posted this morning on Twitter that the One X and the EVO 4G LTE will be the first phones with Beats Audio that do NOT include the Beats headphones. Very disappointed, I was looking forward to getting them in the box...

I know about the lack of beats in the box but I just want to know why there is no beats logo on the device anywhere. I seen in the design video a prototype with the beats logo. I feel like it compliments the design and color.

Xxdakyddwestxx

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Does any one know chances of people making different back covers for the top part. I like the look of the two tone just don't care much for all the finger prints it will pick up. Seeing how its removeable could anyone see them making ones with different textures?

dswatson83

May 27, 2010
Visit site
There has never been a way to turn it off. You would need to root and flash it. Touchwiz lets you use the stock launcher if you prefer, so if anything they might do that. Wouldn't really matter though since it so close to stock

There are plenty of 3rd party launchers like golauncher and even one specifically for ICS phones that will give you a more stock feel and experience without flashing. I've rooted my Evo but chose to use those rather than flash

fhnguyen

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Is the screen the size of the new evo the same as the old evo or is it like the evo3d

Is this question phrased right?? :confused:

The screen is one of the biggest selling points on the phone.

With that said, On any spec sheet, the screen is listed as 4.7"... Evo and Evo3d were both 4.3".

fhnguyen

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I searched the forum, but there is no note of how different the car dock will be without the pins... Hopefully, there will be confirmation/clarification soon.

tyea

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Non replaceable battery is a show stopper for me. Other than that I'm looking forward to the use of updated voice codec (HD voice). Voice quality is a huge selling point for me,and I hope to see it as a standard on all future phones. I have a NS4G, and within 8 months I have become a flashaholic, but I'm getting burnt out on trying to make my phone work as fast as my wife's epic 4g touch.
My question is, "will the developer community for the nexus phones remain significantly larger than for the evo LTE, or for that matter, all other android phones?" I like to have the latest android software, but I now have doubt that cdma nexus phones will get updates significantly sooner than other phones, especially with cyanogen and other developers remaining active with the latest phones.
The 28 nanometer class chips may prove to be miserly power consumers, and the integrated LTE system on chip is also tempting new generation chip efficiency, but if software updates are glacial, and I can't find a non-wall-socket recharging solution, I'll probably buy a used sprint galaxy nexus within the year. I had a palm pre, and now the nexus s4g, and I'm impressed with the durability of the Samsung ns4g, which is another reason why I might find a used galaxy nexus.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

timtlm

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Is the camera button dual-stage? Meaning half press focus, and full press takes the shot (like the Evo 3D and any other basic point and shoot camera)?

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I have a relative who is a beta tester for sprint, and he let me play with it for a minute. He had a pre release handset, (his kickstand wasn't spring loaded, but the released phone's will be). He was showing me the camera, and it could have been the lighting, but the camera looked really orange (REALLY orange). It would only get remotely close to normal with one exposure setting (incandescent I think, but I'm not totally sure).However, that was in a dark basement with the TV on,so I could be mistaken. He also commented on the 3d rumor: No. He normally gets his ~3 months before release. Just wanted to say its out there in the wild, but the fact that they haven't got the final hardware for their testers yet, so maybe mid-late June/early July.

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't get why people act like such android purists but aren't willing to root. If you want a stock experience go nexus. If you don't want a nexus, root. The original evo had a great community for getting new roms.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

I'm of two minds on this one, so I'll chime in, too. I like Android because it does give me the opportunity to try what are essentially alternate OSs on my phone (with the varied enough flavors between AOSP, Sense, etc, the front-end interface makes it different enough - yes, I know it's all Android/linux under the hood). But I do like to try out what a carrier and manufacturer set up before I pass judgement. I want to try Sense 4.0 I want to see how it runs on ICS. Will I simply root and gain access to things like Titanium backup and nandroid backups? Yes, absolutely. I dislike that you cannot (so far) back up your data and apps (or restore data from an app to that same app a new phone) without root access.

But I'll hold off on loading new ROMs until I see it in action and until there are some MATURE ROMs out there.