I've played with the HTC EVO 4G LTE ... Ask me anything!

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
There is ZERO excuse for an oem skin not allowing you to uninstall bloatware. The only reason the situation is better is because ICS allows you to disable apps and oem's can't modify the base OS.

e.g. not being able to uninstall the trial versions of SoundHound/TuneIn that come in Sense when I install the pro versions I own, and thus having 2 versions of the same app on the phone, is insanity.

This sort of thing is why people hate oem skins. I guarantee that 99% of people don't know how to disable an app and thus will spend all their time with their phone cluttered with crapware.

I guess I don't see why that's an issue. The majority doesn't care. Plus with the processing power and amounts of memory I doubt anyone will notice any lag with whatever bloat is installed. People just need a reason to gripe. If its not the design it's the bloat ware. If its not the bloat it's the non removable battery. If its not the battery it's Sense. You guys can pick a different phone, you know?

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I guess I don't see why that's an issue. The majority doesn't care. Plus with the processing power and amounts of memory I doubt anyone will notice any lag with whatever bloat is installed. People just need a reason to gripe. If its not the design it's the bloat ware. If its not the bloat it's the non removable battery. If its not the battery it's Sense. You guys can pick a different phone, you know?

I agree. But giving critical feedback is what motivates manufacturers to improve their products. If enough ACTUAL USERS of a product offer constructive criticism and suggestions, manufacturers tend to pay close attention. It's OK to make observations and personal comments about a yet unreleased product; stir the pot, I say. But those criticisms don't carry much weight when they're made by people who haven't even touched the product. I'm just sayin'. :cool:

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Actually, while manufacturers do like critical opinion, what speaks to them is sales. If you don't like a product, don't buy it. If non removable batteries don't sell, they won't make it a common feature. The reason they are even doing an evo branded one x is because of the phenomenal sales success of the evo brand, specifically the evo 4G, so the red/black look and kickstand addition are due to some of the best sales feedback HTC has ever seen.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Actually, while manufacturers do like critical opinion, what speaks to them is sales. If you don't like a product, don't buy it. If non removable batteries don't sell, they won't make it a common feature. The reason they are even doing an evo branded one x is because of the phenomenal sales success of the evo brand, specifically the evo 4G, so the red/black look and kickstand addition are due to some of the best sales feedback HTC has ever seen.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

I totally agree, but have to make a little point. Its easy to say don't buy it if you don't like a nonremovable battery and just get something else, but if the whole iindustry decides they are going with a nonremovable battery, there isn't much choice. If there aren't any other current tech options out there the consumer is kinda screwed. I think this is where most high end phones are going whether we like it or not

Lorak

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
True, and if samsung S3 is going with a ceramic process, it wouldn't surprise me if it is a sealed design also.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

ChoppedBroccoli

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
So any more questions? :p

Sure I have a few (and possibly some might have been asked before and answered already):

* Is it bluetooth 3.0 or 4.0? Specifically does it have the capability to do the aptX high quality audio bluetooth streaming? The tegra version of the One X does both 4.0 and aptX.

One X Tegra specs (BT 4.0 w/aptx): HTC One X Product Overview - HTC Smartphones

Sprint specs (mentions BT 3.0): HTC EVO 4G

Att specs (no mention of either): HTC One X

ChoppedBroccoli

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
So any more questions? :p

A few more:

When the phone is locked OR in sleep (screen off) mode - does merely tapping the camera button unlock the phone and go to the camera capture screen? Is there any way to change this if so (require a long press hold or multiple taps?) Is the button recessed to prevent this? I would imagine there would be quite a few blank pictures if this is not changeable.

We will have to wait for Sprints Car Dock solution since they removed the pins, but is the HTC Car Dock app still around?

If a security PIN/pattern is enabled for the device - does hitting the camera button require the PIN/pattern or does it go straight to the camera app?
I think someone already confirmed that there is no way to have a secure lock screen with a user friendly single step to unlock. The options are:
a) Use the standard sense lock screen with no security
b) use (a) but then require a pin/pattern code as a 2nd step

It would be great if the HTC lock screen could be modified to either:
1) remove the sense unlock widget and only prompt for a pin/pattern
2) have the sense unlock widget but the gesture to perform to unlock straight to the app was obfuscated and customizable
3) escape the pin/pattern challenge for access to certain apps (camera) but require it for all other apps

Currently my ancient rooted HTC Hero Froyo phone allows for a hidden user gesture to be inputted from the lock screen (no prompt) for various apps thanks to CyanogenMod. That means I can have accessibility and security with a single step. Are there any ways to accomplish something similar with Sense. I'm actually fine with Sense for basically everything except the inability to customize the lock screen and security.

ratswallow

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Where is the external speaker located?
I don't see anything in any of the images that looks like a speaker grill...
There is some sort of strip on the bottom of the back...is that it?

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Where is the external speaker located?
I don't see anything in any of the images that looks like a speaker grill...
There is some sort of strip on the bottom of the back...is that it?

Right here.

evo-4g-lte-13.jpg

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
A few more:

When the phone is locked OR in sleep (screen off) mode - does merely tapping the camera button unlock the phone and go to the camera capture screen? Is there any way to change this if so (require a long press hold or multiple taps?) Is the button recessed to prevent this? I would imagine there would be quite a few blank pictures if this is not changeable.

Has that been a problem with previous phones? (Serious question. I haven't used one with a camera button in a long time.) But, yeah. It does open the camera app.

We will have to wait for Sprints Car Dock solution since they removed the pins, but is the HTC Car Dock app still around?

Probably, but not only because of the pins.

If a security PIN/pattern is enabled for the device - does hitting the camera button require the PIN/pattern or does it go straight to the camera app?
I think someone already confirmed that there is no way to have a secure lock screen with a user friendly single step to unlock. The options are:
a) Use the standard sense lock screen with no security
b) use (a) but then require a pin/pattern code as a 2nd step

That someone who confirmed it was me. It's not much of a lock if you can bypass it by hitting the camera button.

It would be great if the HTC lock screen could be modified to either:
1) remove the sense unlock widget and only prompt for a pin/pattern
2) have the sense unlock widget but the gesture to perform to unlock straight to the app was obfuscated and customizable
3) escape the pin/pattern challenge for access to certain apps (camera) but require it for all other apps

Sure would.

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Sure I have a few (and possibly some might have been asked before and answered already):

* Is it bluetooth 3.0 or 4.0? Specifically does it have the capability to do the aptX high quality audio bluetooth streaming? The tegra version of the One X does both 4.0 and aptX.

Bluetooth 4.0. Dunno about aptX. (But I'm willing to bet it's the same.)

FATIMACHAVEZ12

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Hello

I have an HTC EVO 4G that was flashed to Metropcs. And i was messing with it and by accident I deleted everything that was on the phone. So it has to be re-programmed. Is there a website that can help me re-program the phone?

Fatima

Pace Racing

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to answer all of these questions Phil. Here are a couple more:

I have the OG Evo4G. I love the phone, but hate the battery life. My current Evo has a 1500 mAh battery, and I know the new Evo has a 2000 mAh battery. My current phone runs Gingerbread (not rooted) and the new one has ICS, which I believe should make a good difference, but in real world terms, how big of a difference in battery life is there between the two?

Second question is in regards to the built in battery. I'm wondering if there is some advantage or design reason that they have taken this approach with the One line of phones?

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to answer all of these questions Phil. Here are a couple more:

I have the OG Evo4G. I love the phone, but hate the battery life. My current Evo has a 1500 mAh battery, and I know the new Evo has a 2000 mAh battery. My current phone runs Gingerbread (not rooted) and the new one has ICS, which I believe should make a good difference, but in real world terms, how big of a difference in battery life is there between the two?

Second question is in regards to the built in battery. I'm wondering if there is some advantage or design reason that they have taken this approach with the One line of phones?

Really depends on how you use it. But 500mAh is probably to the point that you'll start to notice a difference.

As far as design goes, I'll be asking that question a lot.

Reactions: Pace Racing

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad