tarn451

May 19, 2011
Visit site
A simple poll.

1. Are you a Evo 4G/3D owner?
2. Will you upgrade to the 4G LTE? choices are -
a) yes
b) no
c) waiting for GS III news (or other phones)
3. Has the redesign affected your answer to #2?
4. What other factors might affect your answer

1)EVO 4G
2)Yes
3)No
4)Sprint LTE, WiMax was a letdown, and LTE is up in the air. Hopefully it works

gpdaddy95

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes, EVO 4G

YES

NO

Sprint's LTE Deployment may affect the timing of my purchase. If they don't get LTE down in DC relatively quickly, I'll hang on to my WiMax until it's available and then I'll make my purchase on an LTE phone.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Sprint is is still doing the early early upgrade program until the 15th of this month I believe. If you call sprint and talk to someone insisting about the buyout program they'll transfer you to someone who knows their stuff. At the very most you'll be paying 165 for the buy your way out of the contract. But at the very least it'll be cheaper than off contract priceing.

Search for " sprint Early buyout program" on Engadget for more details. :)

Thanks. Just looked it up. The 14th of this month is the deadline. So if I spend the $165, I assume I don't have to use the upgrade right away... instead I can wait until June when the Evo comes out. Do you know for sure?

Here's the info in case anyone else in interested. Sprint launches early upgrade promo, wants you to stay and chat awhile - Engadget

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site
1. Are you a Evo 4G/3D owner? yes, Evo 4g since launch
A
3. Has the redesign affected your answer to #2? no
4. What other factors might affect your answer...If new info about the SG3 becomes available. I may wait to test both phones out in the store before deciding. (If I can deal with this cracked screen for that much longer.

wernd

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Launch day Evo and Evo 3d owner

Like the new design but since Sprint did away with yearly upgrades I'm leaving for Verizon. To take things away from loyal customers to get the failPhone upsets me, plus VZW's LTE network in Iowa is too good not to use on a daily basis.

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
A simple poll.

a) yes
b) no

1. Yes, had an evo4g, insurance replaced to the evo3d
2. Yes
3. Nope
4. I really have to get my hands on it. I think it may be a hair big for me - that's my only concern. My factors for upgrades are strictly specs, functionality and handfeel.

Sent from my 3VO using Tapatalk 2

reznaeous

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
A simple poll.

a) yes
b) no

1) Evo 4G, shortly after launch
2) Definitely a - plan on pre-ordering as soon as it's available
3) Nope
4) None. Don't have 4G in this area ... from anyone. Nearest 4G from any carrier (that I'm aware of) is 1.5 hours away.

trinamorgan88

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
1. Yes, HTC EVO 3D.
2. I have to upgrade before December or I lose it, so C.
3. No.
4. Staying with Sprint for unlimited data and hoping LTE makes a major improvement in my area.

SNAFU

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
A simple poll.

a) yes
b) no

1. Yes.
2. Not Sure.
3. Yes. (Don't like the non-removable battery idea)
4. ...

Beach_Head

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
A simple poll.

a) yes
b) no
4. What other factors might affect your answer?

1. No
2. C
3. No
4. If it didn't come with a damn built-in SIM card so I could pop in a prepaid SIM when I'm abroad. Bad move Sprint!

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
A simple poll.
a) yes
b) no

1) Yes (EVO 4G)
2) C
3) Yes. I hate to admit it, but yes, and it's not the back...it's the overly-square/blocky look, which looks dated to me compared to newer phones. Maybe not so much if I get my hands on it as the pictures make it look bad. Also re-considering the need for the capacitive buttons. I realize most of what I am concerned about is not really part of the redesign, since the EVO 4G I'm using has all of those traits as well.
4) Main concern is the camera which may sell me if the GSIII doesn't stack up. Also lack of Sprint LTE in my area. I currently have Wimax coverage, but am not even on the rollout schedule for LTE. Verizon does have LTE though. Also concerned about how fast upgrades (to Jellybean) will come if I don't root.

Decided to wait and see what the GSIII offers and more importantly, when it will be available.

lmcdroid

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Evo 4g. I relative new commer to the Evo community but hooked on the whole rooting and tweaking game. Remenicent of the early PC days.

2. Will you upgrade to the 4G LTE?
Yes, fortuitiously I am eligable for an upgrade on July 1 as the last gasp of my Sprint Premier Plan. And my daughter ready has her sights set on my Evo 4g. Hopefully the mania will have subsided a bit and any serious issues will be identified and be fixed. I can then make a more informed decision and simply walk into a Sprint store and walk out with an activated phone.

No significant affect.

Its hard to imagine any other factors that will change my mind about upgrading to the Evo 4g LTE, but I am concerned about the lack of an SD card and only 16MB of storage space. If HTC was going to eliminate the SD card, they should have followed Apples cue and offered models with different storage. If HTC were to announce a follow-on version with 32 or 64 MB of memory that would be released relatively soon I might wait. The reality is my rooted and tweaked Evo 4g works really well and I am happy with it, so "grading" to the 4g LTE will bring some significant limitations for a while, that is the most exciting thing you will be able to do is switch between 6 or so canned themes, add or subtract apps and play Solitaire really fast. At least until the Android community has it hands on a few thousand phones and some time goes by. Then let the rooting and tweaking begin!

Last edited:

P_M_G

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
1) Yes - OG Evo now on a 3D

2) possibly A but not on launch, interested to see how battery life is with real world examples, follow its rootability because I loathe the Sprint bloat, and to see if LTE on Sprint is better than their pathetic wimax in my area (1 street) where i live and work otherwise i may be jumping ship to a Verizon Rezound!

3) don't care much for the shiny top back cover and agree the OneX is a "better" looking design but i'll have a skin/case wrapped around it so I don't really care

4) the non-removeable battery is a big letdown even with a jump to 2000mAh...why they couldn't include a RazrMaxx sized battery is beyond me if you're not gonna be able to swap it out. SD support is great but that battery is making me wait and see what's down the line....

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
1) OG Evo 4G with CM7

2) Definitely will pre-order on 5/7

3) It's what's on the inside that counts for me. I would love to wait for the next big thing, but with technology, you can wait forever.

4) No LTE planned in Vegas for a while, so that's a little disappointing. However, I've had WiMax and it's quicker than 3G but sucks battery. I think 4G is a little over hyped. Especially with WiFi being free in most places. All I want it a quick responsive phone and this will do it for me.

elfuego

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
1. Are you a Evo 4G/3D owner? No. I have the EVO Shift

2. Will you upgrade to the 4G LTE-Yes

3. Has the redesign affected your answer to #2? Not at all. I really like it

Tempted by the Galaxy Nexus, but afraid of Samsung Radios (GPS, Cell, LTE) way too many complaints on many of their flagship phones. Maybe if the GN has a great reputation after release on Sprint, I may be conflicted

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes yes no I want it now!
Evo 4g was such a good phone for me that I couldn't get anything else. I like sense repeat I like sense.
The only thing is Lte availability IM in stl.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
A simple poll.

a) yes
b) no

1. Yes, Evo 4G
2. A
3. Only in a positive way, I really love the new look.
4. I'm pretty sure I'll make the upgrade, but I will make sure to try it out in person before I make a final decision. A lack of custom ROMs (read as: stock ICS) would also be a bit of an annoyance for me although I don't know whether I'd hinge the entire choice on that. Seeing as how I won't be upgrading until August when my contract is up (unless they want to hook be back in sooner with some deal at the Sprint store) I doubt that a lack of development would be a problem.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Its hard to imagine any other factors that will change my mind about upgrading to the Evo 4g LTE, but I am concerned about the lack of an SD card and only 16MB of storage space. If HTC was going to eliminate the SD card, they should have followed Apples cue and offered models with different storage.

You do realize that the EVO LTE does have a slot for an SD card, right?

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
A simple poll.

a) yes
b) no

1. I had a EVO 4G and upgraded to a Photon 4G.
2. c) waiting for Apple/Motorola news.
3. No, the redesign has significant functionality improvements, which is a positive.
4. Quickness of a Motorola to release a new LTE phone with a high quality screen. Apple iPhone release/widget improves in iOS 6.

I am not interested in the GS3 at all, Samsung has proved, for me, to be significantly inferior in terms of cell signal strength. To me, that translates into unreliable which makes it unacceptable.

I have quickly grown tired of alternate screen technology, LCD provides the clearest picture, so my next phone will have to use that.

The quality of apps and polish of interface on iPhone pull me in, but the lack of customization pushes me away.

I am very interested in hearing news from the Apple and Motorola camp, but the EVO LTE looks very favorable.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000