Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,990 Global Posts

Default Re: 800 mhz compatibility?

Quote Originally Posted by crzycrkr View Post
    Nope, no SIM slot. It's integrated
    Which of course brings up another question about Sprint's LTE- will it have the ability to support phones that have an ACTUAL [removable] SIM card? Or will all phones have to be made especially for Sprint? (Seems pretty stupid, since all the other carriers will use actual SIM cards on their LTE, even Verizon). So many questions.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if all phones worked on all networks? No frequency limitations. No different protocols. No locks. No proprietary designs. OK, I will come back to reality now...

Damn!

Quote Originally Posted by crzycrkr View Post
    Nope, no SIM slot. It's integrated

It should. There's no way that an LTE phone wouldn't. This is because of the way LTE was based on, which is GSM.

Agreed. But then without any locks, carriers wouldn't be able to gain any subscriber base and would lose money. Carriers are just protecting themselves...

Again, I would like to bring up frequency unlocking. Since HTC doesn't lock their bootloaders, etc. wouldn't it be possible to just flash a radio file that would unlock the rest of the frequencies?

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Which of course brings up another question about Sprint's LTE- will it have the ability to support phones that have an ACTUAL [removable] SIM card? Or will all phones have to be made especially for Sprint? (Seems pretty stupid, since all the other carriers will use actual SIM cards on their LTE, even Verizon). So many questions.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if all phones worked on all networks? No frequency limitations. No different protocols. No locks. No proprietary designs. OK, I will come back to reality now...

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Carrier
    stock Galaxy S3

No one knows at this point. We would all love for the phone to be unlockable/programmable to use any frequency, but we don't know if that will ever be possible, and you can be sure Sprint does not want that. All carriers want to sell you more hardware.

There is no guarantee that custom radios would ever be as stable as officially supported ones. It would be much better if the phone came with official support for 800mhz.

Let me just chime in and say that if it were up to me, a person would be able to purchase any phone they liked, pop in a sim card and use it on whatever network they chose. Carriers would still be able to offer discounted phones for multiple year contracts, but I believe that the consumer should have the freedom to chose whatever device they want for whatever carrier they want. Call me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by xusxmarinesx View Post
    So since we are only upgradeable every 2 years this phone will be dead on the network in a year
    Why would it be dead? Sprint isn't going to remove the 1900 band. Quit with the drama queen theatrics.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    hmmm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfleet Captain View Post
    Call me crazy.
    You're crazy! But, then again, I agree 100%, so I'm crazy too.

They planned ahead for the evo 3d to run on 800 MHz for cdma they couldn't plan ahead for an lte phone to run on 800 MHz lte

Quote Originally Posted by Robbzilla View Post
    Why would it be dead? Sprint isn't going to remove the 1900 band. Quit with the drama queen theatrics.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Drama queen and wanting the phone to work on a network are two different things. Yes it will work on the 1900mhz but when the 1900mhz lte tower isn't in range then I would be able to switch to the longer range 800 MHz lte. More options are better. If you want to read real drama queen theatrics go to the thread where they're all complaining about the back cover of the phone.
    XDCX likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by xusxmarinesx View Post
    Drama queen and wanting the phone to work on a network are two different things. Yes it will work on the 1900mhz but when the 1900mhz lte tower isn't in range then I would be able to switch to the longer range 800 MHz lte. More options are better. If you want to read real drama queen theatrics go to the thread where they're all complaining about the back cover of the phone.
    Question is, how soon or far off is 800 MHz LTE implementation if they are doing that. Is this a valid concern if it's a couple years off before they even start. What are the other Sprint LTE phones coming out spec'd for? The GN and the LG?

Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Question is, how soon or far off is 800 MHz LTE implementation if they are doing that. Is this a valid concern if it's a couple years off before they even start. What are the other Sprint LTE phones coming out spec'd for? The GN and the LG?
    800 LTE rollout starts next year. I don't believe the Viper has it, not sure about tthe GN

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts

Well with a two year contract it will work out perfect for pretty much anyone who buys this phone now. About the time we may see 800mhz available will be when the EVO 5 is released. I just buy and sell phones as I want them so I will buy a new one and sell the EVO LTE when something better I liek comes along anyway.

This really isn't much of an issue though to me or most likely anyone else not reading this board. If you get 3G signal you will get 1900mhz LTE signal so I really don't care. If you wait for a dual band phone you are probably going to have to wait until next year to get one that works on both if this one cannot be unlocked to work on both.

Knowing my luck the only 4g lte I'm going to get is the 800 MHz spectrum before the 1900 MHz haha

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

The nexus, the evo lte and the viper only support LTE on the G-block of the 1900 band where sprint is rolling out their initial LTE in a 5x5 spectrum. They have pretty much nationwide coverage of this band so most areas should see good coverage... as long as they build/upgrade a tower for the location. Building penetration should be similar to what we see today for 1x/3G.

Along with the LTE rollout they will also be rolling out CDMA 1x-advanced in a small section of 800mhz spectrum (from what I've been able to tell they didn't have adequate spectrum to deploy LTE here now since LTE requires 10mhz of bandwidth, minimum). This should help improve voice coverage in some areas where sprint has poor 1x/3G coverage today and provide basic service in rural areas where the 800 mhz spectrum gives them more coverage per tower. This 1x advanced CDMA network is the one that provides support for HD voice. The evo supports 1x advanced and HD voice... I'm doubtful that the nexus or viper do but I haven't heard anything one way or another for sure.

That's the stuff they are currently rolling out.

Then, in a year or two, they will expand LTE into the SMR spectrum in the 800mhz range (this network will co-exist with the 1900mhz LTE, not replace it). Sprint is in the process of transitioning the iDen push to talk customers to CDMA which will free up the SMR band for LTE. They will be taking advantage of advancements in LTE that allow them to bond the SMR LTE with the G-Block LTE to provide increased bandwidth. None of the phones announced support this yet because the needed technology isn't available.

This is my understanding of where things are today and where they are headed...
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123