Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 64
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default 800 mhz compatibility?

    I am sorry if this is already answered, but I don't see it in the specs. Is there any idea if the LTE on the Evo LTE will be able to use LTE on sprint's pending 800 kmhz bandwidth?

    Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
  2. #2  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkp View Post
    I am sorry if this is already answered, but I don't see it in the specs. Is there any idea if the LTE on the Evo LTE will be able to use LTE on sprint's pending 800 kmhz bandwidth?
    CDMA yes, LTE no. Doubt we will see any 800 LTE (or 2500) stuff until next year at the earliest.
    Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    CDMA yes, LTE no. Doubt we are going to see any 800 or 2500 LTE stuff until next year at the earliest.
  3. #3  
    Phil Nickinson's Avatar
    Android Central Editor in Chief

    Posts
    3,994 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,161 Global Posts

    Default Re: 800 mhz compatibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by oversight View Post
    CDMA yes, LTE no. Doubt we are going to see any 800 or 2500 LTE stuff until next year at the earliest.
    And I doubt you'll see any interoperability between carriers on LTE. :-/
  4. #4  

    Default

    My question is that sprint is releasing their lte on the 1900mhz spectrum or something like that then down the road they will be getting rid of their iden network for the 800mhz spectrum and sprint said they were going to move their lte to that spectrum. Will the evo4glte be able to switch when they switch?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: 800 mhz compatibility?

    Yeah, that was my question. The sense I am getting is that it will probably not work, bt also 800 LTE will probably not be implemented during this phone's lifespan, at least not universally.
  6. #6  

    Default

    It better not or there might be lawsuits because of it
  7. #7  

    Default Re: 800 mhz compatibility?

    Iden is supposed to be kept alive till the end of 2013.
    Im sure in some areas with a large amount of IDEN coverage, and once the loading is taken off they can start to migrate some channels from IDEN to CDMA/LTE 800mhz. But i wouldnt count on it. Its more efficient to move them all at once then it is to move some at a time.
    Once IDEN has come to its end of life then they can farm out the needed frequencys/spectrum to CDMA/LTE.
  8. #8  

    Default

    Will the new evo be able to read these spectrums or is it a phone to have a year and then it won't work as an lte device down the road
  9. #9  

    Default Re: 800 mhz compatibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by xusxmarinesx View Post
    Will the new evo be able to read these spectrums or is it a phone to have a year and then it won't work as an lte device down the road
    I'm no expert, but based on comments I've read on this site my understanding is the EVO LTE will only be capable of running on Sprint's existing LTE network and it will not be able to take advantage of the new spectrum of LTE. Said another way, I think Sprint will eventually have two "flavors" of LTE and the EVO LTE will only be capable of running on one of them.

    Frankly, I think it's amazing this issue hasn't received more coverage. If my assumption is wrong and the EVO LTE will be capable of running on both LTE spectrums then Sprint's P.R. Department should set the record straight. If my understanding is correct, then sites like Android Central should expose this issue.

    I think it's ironic that there are so many people excited about the two-tone rear cover on the EVO LTE and no one is discussing a major issue which may render the EVO LTE obsolete in just over a year.
  10. #10  

    Default

    I agree... this phone is going to be obsolete when 2013 hits and its going to be another wimax debacle. Why can't sprint get this right...I may no longer going to buy this phone and stick with my galaxy nexus
  11. #11  

    Default Re: 800 mhz compatibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by dkp View Post
    ... also 800 LTE will probably not be implemented during this phone's lifespan, at least not universally.
    1900 LTE will probably not be implemented during this phone's lifespan, at least not universally.

    Heck still waiting (not really) for wimax here. Since Sprint is unlikely to have any flavor of LTE where I live before this phone is EOL it won't really matter to me, I'll probably still transition from my Palm Pre to this phone and Android when my contract is up.
  12. #12  

    Default

    Well I'm switching from Verizon galaxy nexus to this phone this is the only downfall I see with this phone. Also with the somewhat purple tint on the camera
  13. #13  

    Default Re: 800 mhz compatibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by camiller View Post
    1900 LTE will probably not be implemented during this phone's lifespan, at least not universally.

    Heck still waiting (not really) for wimax here. Since Sprint is unlikely to have any flavor of LTE where I live before this phone is EOL it won't really matter to me, I'll probably still transition from my Palm Pre to this phone and Android when my contract is up.
    What? "1900 LTE will probably NOT be implemented during this phones lifespan?"

    WHAT???? Sprint is in the process of upgrading its system to Network Vision, aka LTE in many markets across the country with at least 3 or 4 different phases of operation to be turned on with in a year. Im in Dallas, TX one of the phase 1 markets. So im not sure where you are saying 1900 LTE will probably NOT be implemented is pretty far off. Unless your specifying your city or something. Sprints plan is to make the entire 1900 spectrum it owns into LTE, and add 800mhz for capacity and in building penetration.
    Lets not forget it owns 51% of Clear, and if memory serves correct they recently announced they were going to start to overhaul their system and convert its 2.5ghz of WiMax spectrum to LTE spectrum.

    Unless i am misreading his statement.. which is possible. Ive only had 1 Code Red Dew today. By this time in the afternoon im usually up to 3..
  14. #14  
    TheOnlyMorgan's Avatar

    Posts
    237 Posts
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    ROM
    Decks GB 1.3d

    Default Re: 800 mhz compatibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    What? "1900 LTE will probably NOT be implemented during this phones lifespan?"

    WHAT???? Sprint is in the process of upgrading its system to Network Vision, aka LTE in many markets across the country with at least 3 or 4 different phases of operation to be turned on with in a year. Im in Dallas, TX one of the phase 1 markets. So im not sure where you are saying 1900 LTE will probably NOT be implemented is pretty far off. Unless your specifying your city or something. Sprints plan is to make the entire 1900 spectrum it owns into LTE, and add 800mhz for capacity and in building penetration.
    Lets not forget it owns 51% of Clear, and if memory serves correct they recently announced they were going to start to overhaul their system and convert its 2.5ghz of WiMax spectrum to LTE spectrum.

    Unless i am misreading his statement.. which is possible. Ive only had 1 Code Red Dew today. By this time in the afternoon im usually up to 3..
    Yes. 1900 is being done first, 800 next year. And Clear is putting LTE on the 2.5GHz spectrum along with WiMAX. I think there's still maybe 3 to 4 years of WiMAX life left, but of course they will not be building out WiMAX coverage anymore.
  15. #15  

    Default

    So when they roll out 800 MHz lte spectrum will the new evo be able to run off of it?
  16. #16  

    Default Re: 800 mhz compatibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by xusxmarinesx View Post
    So when they roll out 800 MHz lte spectrum will the new evo be able to run off of it?
    No, But you'll probably be eligible for an upgrade by then. Don't worry about it. It will probably take two years to saturate the 1900 MHz spectrum anyway.
  17. #17  
    crzycrkr's Avatar

    Posts
    1,516 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

    Default Re: 800 mhz compatibility?

    Pretty sure it has already been said it will NOT be compatible with 800MHz.

    Think they said the 800MHz build out will start around this time next year
  18. #18  

    Default

    So since we are only upgradeable every 2 years this phone will be dead on the network in a year
  19. #19  

    Default Re: 800 mhz compatibility? Yes!?

    I believe this phone-specs site states the EVO 4G LTE will do it all. (Unless there are other purposes for the frequencies in question.)

    HTC Evo 4G LTE - Full phone specifications

    2G Network CDMA 800 / 1900 3G Network CDMA2000 1xEV-DO 4G Network LTE 800 / 1900
    Thanked by:
    Melaza 
  20. #20  

    Default Re: 800 mhz compatibility?

    My post didn't save. Without the full preamble... here is a site w/specs. The frequency is supported.

    http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_evo_4g_lte-4665.php

    2G Network CDMA 800 / 1900 3G Network CDMA2000 1xEV-DO 4G Network LTE 800 / 1900
    Thanked by 3:
  21. #21  

    Default

    Good to hear that it is supported
  22. #22  

    Default Re: 800 mhz compatibility?

    OK, if I understand this, the 800 mHZ LTE really won't be available until the end of 2013, so new Sprint LTE phones will be utilizing it begining in 2014.

    However, this does not mean that the 1900 mhz is going away. It will simply be available on two frequencies. Just because LTE will be available on the 800 mHz spectrum in 2 years does not mean it will be completely gone from the 1900 mhz spectrum. Sprint owns the spectrum for both frequencies so they'll use both.

    Yes, the 800 mhz LTE will be better, so the phones that utilize will be better. But who does not expect that a phone that is released 2 years from now will be better than the phones being released today? If this is a surprise to you then you clearly do not understand how the technology game works.
    Thanked by:
  23. #23  

    Default Re: 800 mhz compatibility?

    I wonder how well Sprint's LTE building penetration will be seeing they're using the 1900 band for it. I know this was a big issue with their WiMax network.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: 800 mhz compatibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by experiment626 View Post
    I wonder how well Sprint's LTE building penetration will be seeing they're using the 1900 band for it. I know this was a big issue with their WiMax network.
    Probably as good as their current 3g/CDMA penetration, since that's the spectrum that their current CDMA network uses.
  25. #25  

    Default

    Supposedly it will start being switched over in the beginning of 2013 I could be wrong. If it happens in 2 years then cool I'll just upgrade but what if my city gets lte in the 800mhz spectrum in a year? Then what happens when still a semi new phone can't read it? Its no longer an lte phone. But from the look of that spec sheet it seems it can read both so I'm no longer worried about it
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions