Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    harold42483's Avatar

    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    646 Global Posts
    ROM
    Motorola Xoom Running ICS

    Default Disabling applications in Sense?

    I was reading Engadget's review of Sense 4.0 and i came across a paragraph that states that you can disable certain applications. Two of which that were mentioned are the phone and contacts applications. Here is the article link.

    http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/02/h...se-4-0-review/

    I wonder if these apps are disabled would that mean that the stock application for ICS would then be the default applications?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disabling applications in Sense?-uploadfromtaptalk1334012114529.jpg  
  2. #2  
    Phil Nickinson's Avatar
    Android Central Editor in Chief

    Posts
    3,972 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,139 Global Posts

    Default Re: Disabling applications in Sense?

    You can't disable the phone app. There's only one phone app -- HTC's phone app.

    Regarding the Contacts ... I'm actually seeing two contacts apps listed on the One X. One's 8 kb, the other's 28 kb.

    Disabling one of them borks the phone app. As in, it disappears. (It reappears if you re-enable the contacts app.)

    The other one ... I'm not sure what it does when you disable it. But it does cause the UI to reset itself, so it's doing something.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    harold42483's Avatar

    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    646 Global Posts
    ROM
    Motorola Xoom Running ICS

    Default

    Interesting. Is there any way to change the default setting. Like with a launcher (like ADW launcher), and make taht your dialer or contact app
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Disabling applications in Sense?

    Quote Originally Posted by harold42483 View Post
    Interesting. Is there any way to change the default setting. Like with a launcher (like ADW launcher), and make taht your dialer or contact app
    Launchers themselves don't come with phone or contact apps.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    harold42483's Avatar

    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    646 Global Posts
    ROM
    Motorola Xoom Running ICS

    Default Re: Disabling applications in Sense?

    Yes i know that but there are phone and contact apps in the play store. Like this one

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rocketdial.pro

    And if downloaded can this be set as a default application. Sort of like if you have two apps that can read pdf files you can set one as a default so that if you download a pdf file and open it after download it wil automatically open using said app.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Disabling applications in Sense?

    Oh gotcha. I don't see why not in newer versions of sense. I know on my original EVO you could set a different dialer app as default.
  7. #7  
    Phil Nickinson's Avatar
    Android Central Editor in Chief

    Posts
    3,972 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,139 Global Posts

    Default Re: Disabling applications in Sense?

    Quote Originally Posted by harold42483 View Post
    Yes i know that but there are phone and contact apps in the play store. Like this one

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rocketdial.pro

    And if downloaded can this be set as a default application. Sort of like if you have two apps that can read pdf files you can set one as a default so that if you download a pdf file and open it after download it wil automatically open using said app.
    I can confirm that works on the One X, and I see no reason why it wouldn't work on others with Sense. (Even bought Rocket Dial to test. )
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    harold42483's Avatar

    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    646 Global Posts
    ROM
    Motorola Xoom Running ICS

    Default

    Awesome cuz i fell in love with the stock ICS dialer and i would love that on this phone :-)
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    harold42483's Avatar

    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    646 Global Posts
    ROM
    Motorola Xoom Running ICS

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    I can confirm that works on the One X, and I see no reason why it wouldn't work on others with Sense. (Even bought Rocket Dial to test. )
    So hows rocket dial working out for you.
  10. #10  
    Phil Nickinson's Avatar
    Android Central Editor in Chief

    Posts
    3,972 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,139 Global Posts

    Default Re: Disabling applications in Sense?

    Quote Originally Posted by harold42483 View Post
    So hows rocket dial working out for you.
    Refunded it. I'm lame and am OK with stock.

    On another note, I'm gonna go right out and say BE CAREFUL disabling apps. It's pretty obvious (and there's a nice warning reminding you) that some apps affect others, and it'll take a little time to get it all figured out.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    harold42483's Avatar

    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    646 Global Posts
    ROM
    Motorola Xoom Running ICS

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    Refunded it. I'm lame and am OK with stock.

    On another note, I'm gonna go right out and say BE CAREFUL disabling apps. It's pretty obvious (and there's a nice warning reminding you) that some apps affect others, and it'll take a little time to get it all figured out.
    I see. Point taken. I guess im just gunna have to wait til i get the Evo to play around with it. So any word on when and if Htc /Sprint is gunna drop you a demo model.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    harold42483's Avatar

    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    646 Global Posts
    ROM
    Motorola Xoom Running ICS

    Default Re: Disabling applications in Sense?

    Ok i see what ICS has done here. We can basically disable all bloatware. This actually changes my perspective on the evo 4g lte. One of my main gripes about non nexus phones is bloatware. And the bloatware in my evo 3d is killing me i hate seeing it on the play store when i look at my downloads. I can't wait to get my hands on this bad boy
  13. #13  
    Crispy's Avatar

    Posts
    561 Posts
    Global Posts
    567 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock Galaxy S3

    Default Re: Disabling applications in Sense?

    You can disable (thanks to ICS) but not uninstall (thanks to carriers). The custom ROMs already out for the One X have all the bloatware actually removed from the image which gives better performance and more space.

Posting Permissions