An Open Letter to HTC and Sprint: How About a Compromise?

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Dear HTC,

As a customer and consumer, I want to thank you for the excellent phones that you continue to make every year. My very first HTC?made smartphone was the Windows Mobile 6.1 device called, the Touch Diamond on Sprint. Since then, I was in line before Dawn to pick up the HTC Evo 4G on the day it was released, and a year later, the HTC Evo 3D. I want you to know that I have greatly enjoyed these best in class devices over the years.

After reading through the press releases from your company and Sprint for your new upcoming device, the HTC Evo 4G LTE, as well as the many first impression reviews on the web, I can only conclude that you have another blockbuster winning device on your hands. I, for one, as has become a yearly tradition it seems, plan on being in line on the morning of the release of this excellent smartphone. That being said, many consumers in the Android community seem to take issue with a design decision on this device.

The removable top cover on the rear of the device is not sitting well with what seems to be an otherwise flawless device. The main issue people seem to have, is its ?shiny? color, which does not fit well with the overall aesthetics of the phone. It is my belief that the people who are bothered by this are not an insignificant minority. I will admit that I too, have a low opinion of the aesthetic choice being used. However, even though it has not affected my purchasing decision, it has affected the purchasing decisions of many others in the community whom have expressed their displeasure in multiple web forums.

I?m not an engineer, so I have no idea why that particular aesthetic decision was made. However, because I, like you, really want this to be a very successful and profitable device for both HTC and Sprint, I would like to propose a compromise for resolving this issue: I propose that you bundle an additional back cover with the device that is the same color, or close to the same color as the rest of the back of the device. Perhaps it could be a non-shiny matte plastic material. As I said earlier, I?m no engineer so, I have no idea how this would affect the functionality of the device, but it doesn?t seem like much. I believe that this will be a low ? cost solution to the problem.

It has been reported that you will no longer bundle Beats ? branded ear buds with your devices. If you were planning to include a pair of standard generic ear buds, I would propose that you keep those, since most of us will purchase our own ear buds anyway. This way, the savings could go toward the more important issue of including an alternative rear cover with the device.

Please know that regardless of your decision on this issue, I as well as a great many others will still be in line to purchase this awesome device when it is released. I simply believe that by acquiescing to this request, you will not only have firmly demonstrated that you are a company that listens to and are mindful of customer feedback, but you will have made and already great device, even more great, with the end result being more brand loyalty from consumers, word of mouth advertising, and more profits.

Thank You
From a Loyal Customer

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like a lot of issues for someone who hasn't even physically seen or held the phone.

Exactly, I think the phone looks great. Either way mine will be going in a case, after how many times i dropped my current phone, i want to protect this one as much as i can.

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I think you guys have grossly misunderstood me and my position. Did you even read what I wrote?

Basically, I don't mindthe way the device looks. It could be better, but I still think it looks good. But judging from the chief complaint about it, (just look at the number of top level posts that discuss the issue) it seems that quite a few people are turned off by its look and is affecting their purchasing decision. As fans of the Evo line, I'm sure we all want this phone to be a success for both HTC and Sprint. What is wrong with making a simple request to include a different back, along with the one that it comes with?

artman5x5

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Who cares about the back, put a cover on it, plus it in your hand facing away from you, and remember you look at the front of the phone not the back. :)

rub2008

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Producing another cover would totally affect the cost of manufacturing the product, I think its WAY too late to even think about proposing this now.

Personally who cares about the cover. Like most said, its going to go in a case so who cares what color or matte finish it is or isn't. Do you also want the red from the kickstand to change to another color??? Come on guys.... give it a rest. Stop complaining. If you want another color, go out and get an extra cover and PAINT IT!!!!!!! Since the cover is replaceable, REPLACE IT!

Just my two cents. I've been hearing lots of complaining about stupid stuff lately..... give it a rest.

Reactions: popularbelief

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Gonna give this some love on the front page. But, yeah. I think the phone's a little past the redesign stage.

Excellently written, however.

Thanks Phil.... much appreciated.

I'm not talking about a redesign though. Just an inclusion of an alternative removable back with the phone, instead of including a cheap pair of ear buds (if they intended on doing that) that not many will use.

JGuez

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a lot of issues for someone who hasn't even physically seen or held the phone.

How is it any different than someone who thinks the phone is perfect but never physically seen or held the phone?

Not different at all, and there's nothing wrong or "girly" about caring how your products look.

I think most of us are over the fact that they chose this design, at least I am. They did what they did, however comments like the following are just ignorant:

Man you people are still going on about the shiny aspect of a portion of the phone. Jesus, being a man is a lost art it seems. You're looking for anything to complain about like a bunch of chicks.

Sent from my EVO Shift

Most of us happen to think HTC has a winner on their hands, but made a minor misstep with the design of the back. Not a crime to express our opinion.

Our opinion does matter, by the way. If we don't like the device and don't buy it, HTC has a problem on their hands.

However, I do doubt this stops people from buying it.

To the OP, well written post. I do think HTC wont do anything about it, but I do like the idea.

Maybe a 3rd party will make a replacement back since it is removable.

Reactions: crzycrkr

graymulligan

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
"I'm already going to purchase your device"

"Please make a change to the device I've already stated that I will purchase"

This is not the right way to go about this. "I'm voting with my wallet. Until the issue I don't like is fixed, I won't buy the product" is a lot better way to get a point across.

jfitts75

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
You can always wait and buy an alternate cover on Ebay anyways as I am sure there will be some to choose from after the phone comes out.

joypunk

May 26, 2010
Visit site
However, I do doubt this stops people from buying it.

I'm probably in the minority, but a lot of the things about this phone, weighing the pros and cons, have me on the fence about buying it. This glossy plastic cover is the tipping point for me, and I will not be buying the device without alternative covers being available.

(On that note, I am sure there will be 3rd party covers made before long, and at that point I may pick up the phone myself. Until then, I'll pass.)

KSUJedi

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm much less worried about the color of the cover (which as others have mentioned will probably be rectified by 3rd party covers) and much more concerned with the non-removable battery, which is a deal breaker for me (and no, not trying to start a flame war, know that many will say that's a non-issue, just saying it's a deal breaker for ME, among others, maybe not you), and not an easy 3rd party solution issue.

afallingstone

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't really like it ether and i agree with what you wrote. Sprint wants the phone to stand out or maybe they couldn't make that finish match on the plastic. It is some new type of anodize process on the metal. Maybe they can't get the same feeling on the plastic portion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs