with only 5 or so markets with LTE this summer, is it worth it?

jlo8720

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: with only 5 or so markets with LTE this summer, is it worth i

Texas for some reason is way ahead of the curve, Dallas/Ft Worth, Houston, San Antonio, and Austin all expected to be up in the first 6 months.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I currently have the Evo 3D, (and the original Evo) and have for almost 2 years gotten use to using 4G wimax. However, I live in an area that probably will not be on a LTE rollout priority list anytime soon. Was wondering if anyone else out there is going to wait to buy this because you will have to return to Sprint's horribly slow 3G network or if you are planning on getting it regardless? I want the new stuff with the phone and really never use the 3D, but I dont think I could live without 4G...

For me, it's less of a question because despite the fact that Washington, DC is in a Wimax coverage area, my home is in a suburb that isn't.

I bought my phones knowing that 4G probably wouldn't make it to me during my contract. In fact, even when I do manage to find some Wimax coverage, it's so poor & inconsistent that I seldom bother to use it.

I made my purchase based on the bill savings and overall specifications of the phones.

--Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget EVO!!"
HTC EVO 3D on Sprint (Google Voice-Integrated)

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650--> Treo 700wx-->
HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre--> HTC EVO 4G--> HTC EVO 3D :cool:

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

You know, I remember when Sprint first rolled out their 3G network. I lived in an area that did not have it, yet I still bought a 3G phone because they were still good phones (for the time) to uses despite not having 3G. Now, it took them about 2 years to finally get there but they did. I'd say that you are in a tough spot. You need to ask yourself how important 4G is to you... Then check the following list to see if there is a minute possibility of you seeing LTE where you live within the next 12 months at the most:

Network Vision/LTE Deployment Running List - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates

FYI, my city is on the list, which solidifies my decision on purchasing this device. For me, I use wifi a lot, but I do use 4G about 10-20% of the time I'm using data. So, for me, even though I may not have LTE in my area at launch, its not a deal breaker.

However, you need to ask yourself what your needs are. How often do you use 4G? Has it become an essential part of your life? If so, then DON'T DO IT. Can you live with Sprint's 3G speeds where you are for the time being? Think about it. The Evo 3D is still a very capable device which is being promised an ICS update later this year, so its not like you have a completely crappy phone. Your phone is still better than the phones most people will be carrying this year.

Cowchip

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I'm still rollin' the OG EVO 4G but I had no 4G coverage when I bought it... and still don't! In fact, it's never been on a 4G network to this day.

I'll be moving on to the next device with LTE probably in a month or two and don't care if I have LTE coverage or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: jalaazul

nkawal

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site

Being a loyal Evo 3D user and having the OG Evo as well will definately upgrade. The Phone is a beast spec wise. They will definately have LTE in all the major markets by October. If not, all those iphone fanboys will jump ship. Everyone know that Apple next iphone will be LTE.

lembowski

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site

Not a fan of all the "network" moves sprint is doing. I think they should just wait another year until that can roll out Lte on both the 800 and 1900 spectrums and make phones that can utilize both. To me I would not buy a phone knowing that the 1900 spectrum which has less building penetration will not be able to utilize the new network changes coming less than 2 years away.

N3tT3chMan

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site

Having been an evo no4g user since day 1 in michgan. No. Don't trust anything sprint says. Just switched to a razr maxx on Verizon and loving 4G coverage everywhere I go.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I'm with you there... I'm going to be switching to Verizon as soon as they release their new phones this year.. Will most likely go with the Droid Fighter if the specs are any good when its released. If not its the Razr Maxx for me as well. I have been told for 2.5-3 years now that sprint is working on 4g in my area and I still dont have it.. Sprint can kiss my rear end

gunderson

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Everyone always complains about Sprint's CDMA network when in reality, it is much faster than Verizon's 3G in most places, EXCEPTING when in the heart of a major city, Verizon's does not dip down to a crawl like Sprint's. Here are some speed test screenshots I took today on Sprint 3G,Nexus S 4G(single core 1ghz) outside Pittsburgh. Granted these are a bit higher than they were before due to Network Vision, but I always got around 1mbps before, and it has a lower ping than the bulletproof 0.7mbps that Verizon always puts up in the Pittsburgh area.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Everyone always complains about Sprint's CDMA network when in reality, it is much faster than Verizon's 3G in most places, EXCEPTING when in the heart of a major city, Verizon's does not dip down to a crawl like Sprint's. Here are some speed test screenshots I took today on Sprint 3G,Nexus S 4G(single core 1ghz) outside Pittsburgh. Granted these are a bit higher than they were before due to Network Vision, but I always got around 1mbps before, and it has a lower ping than the bulletproof 0.7mbps that Verizon always puts up in the Pittsburgh area.

Sheesh. 1.83 and 1.98 is bad?!! My God, now its know why everyone is complaining, their comparing it to wifi or 4g speeds.

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Good grief Sprint 3G speeds are abysmal in brooklyn. The only way I can listen to TuneIn radio off the net without a hitch or watch youtube vids at the gum on the hampster wheel is off wimax.

So for me, no lit up LTE, no deal.

carterpatterson

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I have had my Evo 4G for two years and I'm ready for LTE since IMO, WiMax sux. I live in an area described by Sprint as "In-Building 4G" coverage meaning it should work inside buildings. Its there highest designation on the map. We'll, I don't get 4G inside or outside my house. I do get it around Atlanta, but the maps are a complete joke.

sharkknuckle

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site

I'm personally planning on pre-ordering and buying it. It's a solid phone in its own right. Especially with the improvements over the One X (which is awesome as well). 4G will be icing on the cake, but I'm looking forward to the upgrade from the OG Evo 4G. It looks like the best phone in Sprints current lineup.

cowboys2000

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

I bought the EVO 4G on launch day based upon needing another phone and the pre-launch strong signal in my area.

Then, I started travelling on business the next few months. Los Angeles and Orange County. Horrible 4G coverage. Poor Building penetration. Memphis, TN and Omaha, NE I literally kept my phone OFF while in the building, sitting near the window hoping for coverage. Tried the Air Rave device in multiple locations. Barely helped.

And picking a phone based upon the price of the monthly service? Too each their own, but I grew tired of not being able to use 4G on a 4G device. Poor battery life that limited my wi-fi usage.

Choosing Verizon or ATT for their LTE network would be a better choice.

dubdrop

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I live in urbandale,Iowa. We have wimax tower in two spot I know of one being right by my house. They have never hit the switch! If you're close to it it will fire up. I live about a mile from that tower. Did they hold off the switch for lte to roll in? And is so do you think it will hit sooner than later?

Last edited:

N3tT3chMan

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site

Sheesh. 1.83 and 1.98 is bad?!! My God, now its know why everyone is complaining, their comparing it to wifi or 4g speeds.

id be happy with 1.0mb+ my speed tests aren't nearly as nice to me i get 150-300K most of the time sometimes i will get 600-800k

colorado_al

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

I had the OG Evo 4G from Google io. 4G came live where I am about 2 months after that. Changed the way I use my phone. I've since moved on to the SGS2/E4GT. I will not be switching phones until LTE is available where I am.

donntiger

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

I have the original Evo 4G and have never experienced the 4G. So a little thing like not having LTE won't stop me from spending my hard earned buckaroo's on a LTE phone and enjoy the blazing slow 3G speeds in my neck of the woods.

gunderson

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Not sure how you took my post as negative. I was praising Sprint's 3G for being faster than verizon. 1.83 and 1.98mbps down is awesome!

jer3my

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

Maybe its just me, I use 4g every now and then, mainly when I am charging the phone at work, watching netflix and etc, But I have good 3g coverage here in Chicago and everywhere I go and tbh thats more than enough. I am getting the phone, more for what the phone has to offer, LTE/4G is just an extra option. Not to mention everyone I talk to that says they get crappy battery life on their phone is due to them leaving 4g/LTE all the time. But once again I for one will forgo the Galaxy Nexus and upgrade to the HTC Evo 4g/LTE, upgrading from the Nexus S 4G.

rwong48

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

You need to ask yourself how important 4G is to you... Then check the following list to see if there is a minute possibility of you seeing LTE where you live within the next 12 months at the most:

Network Vision/LTE Deployment Running List - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates
My situation is a bit interesting. I only really use 4G when I'm on vacation, and I'll be heading to LA twice over the next month. I've used WiMAX there and don't remember it being bad but not good either. I think I will go LTE anyways, and switch to the WiMAX phone if absolutely necessary (I don't mind the hassle.)

But according to that link, LTE in Los Angeles should be up now, while San Jose (where I am) isn't for the later half of the year, which still sounds great.