HTC's Email Response to Open Letter

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
So, because the design of the phone doesn't matter to you it shouldn't matter to any of us? Okay, got it.

And, to elaborate on my earlier point, this is an android phone forum. The people here are obviously into phones, that's why. It Chevy were to release a new Corvette that was better in every way than the current one, but put a body on it that half the current Corvette enthusiasts thought was ugly, should those people just pipe down and not buy it? No, they should let them know

I agree. I just saw what everyone's getting up in arms about and I am 100% on your side--it looks terrible. How could they ruin the sleekness like that?!

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I, for one, am just hoping all the people saying they won't buy it because of the design mean it. I really don't want to go through the wait I endured for my Evo 4G again :) Something tells me I'll have to though.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Many people whined about the people saying they didn't like the 3D on the last EVO. They thought the people saying they wouldn't buy it because of the 3D were stupid and tried to belittle them and muscle them into being quiet or I to agreeing. Funny enough the 3D didn't sell as well as they hoped, and go figure, no 3D on the new EVO. Speaking your displeasure does work.

Reactions: Starfleet Captain

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Many people whined about the people saying they didn't like the 3D on the last EVO. They thought the people saying they wouldn't buy it because of the 3D were stupid and tried to belittle them and muscle them into being quiet or I to agreeing. Funny enough the 3D didn't sell as well as they hoped, and go figure, no 3D on the new EVO. Speaking your displeasure does work.

Yes, and back then i was (and still am) one of the folks that thought people were being silly for complaining about the phone having a feature that they did not have to use. But to your point, HTC took notice with the drop in sales. I do not want to see that happen on this go-round.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes, and back then i was (and still am) one of the folks that thought people were being silly for complaining about the phone having a feature that they did not have to use. But to your point, HTC took notice with the drop in sales. I do not want to see that happen on this go-round.

I think it will somewhat though. THere are obviously quite a few here not happy with the look, and tons on other tech sites. I know probably 10-12 phone geeks, and they all laughed when they saw this phone. I showed my sister, who has an OG EVO and is not a phone geek, and she shook her head and said she doesn't want it. It seems the only people it appeals to is the geeks.

The way I see it, a flagship phone serves two purposes, to keep your existing customers and to bring in new ones. I think this will sell pretty well with existing, especially since the OG EVO owners are hitting their upgrade, but I don't see it bringing many new customers in. Plus, if Samsung unveils the GSIII before this hits the shelves, you might see more people defect, especially if it is the rumored quad Exynos

Lito187

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I am not to big on the design but since I am buying a case for it it won't be a problem for me at all. I am glad the kick stand is back.

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I think it will somewhat though. THere are obviously quite a few here not happy with the look, and tons on other tech sites. I know probably 10-12 phone geeks, and they all laughed when they saw this phone. I showed my sister, who has an OG EVO and is not a phone geek, and she shook her head and said she doesn't want it. It seems the only people it appeals to is the geeks.

The way I see it, a flagship phone serves two purposes, to keep your existing customers and to bring in new ones. I think this will sell pretty well with existing, especially since the OG EVO owners are hitting their upgrade, but I don't see it bringing many new customers in. Plus, if Samsung unveils the GSIII before this hits the shelves, you might see more people defect, especially if it is the rumored quad Exynos

Average consumer does not know what a Quad Exynos is. The GSII sold as well as it did for 2 reasons in the US:

1. Its form factor (Read aesthetic thin, big beutiful screen, iPhonish bezel looks).
2. Its wide availability on multiple networks.

The only 3 things that will matter to the average consumer when Sammy unveils the GSIII is looks, price, and availability. Us tech geeks will drool and/or whine about everything else.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Average consumer does not know what a Quad Exynos is. The GSII sold as well as it did for 2 reasons in the US:

1. Its form factor (Read aesthetic thin, big beutiful screen, iPhonish bezel looks).
2. Its wide availability on multiple networks.

The only 3 things that will matter to the average consumer when Sammy unveils the GSIII is looks, price, and availability. Us tech geeks will drool and/or whine about everything else.

I was referring more to the tech geeks defecting to the GSIII. Samsung just flat out owns every other Android manufacturer when it comes to the average consumer. I'll be waiting to see what they have coming before I make a decision too

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget about spec improvements - Bigger Battery and Micro SD slot - I'l take form over function (both would be nice) any day. If the Rezound wasn't so thick and heavy (Form) that would have been my last phone (couldn't get into the Nexus or Razr either - too big).

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I believe someone posted in another forum that the Evo LTE looks better in person than it does in pictures. If so, why not wait until it's released to make a decision whether to buy it or not? Besides, by then there will (hopefully) be other Sprint LTE phones to choose from.

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Never underestimate marketing. I remember all of the things said about the original Evo (too big, kickstand was stupid, lack of Wimax in most areas)...and there were still lines out of the door to buy it.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I believe someone posted in another forum that the Evo LTE looks better in person than it does in pictures. If so, why not wait until it's released to make a decision whether to buy it or not? Besides, by then there will (hopefully) be other Sprint LTE phones to choose from.

The lg viper 4g lte comes out in a week...

Swyped from my Photon using t-talk 2

Raadius

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Never underestimate marketing. I remember all of the things said about the original Evo (too big, kickstand was stupid, lack of Wimax in most areas)...and there were still lines out of the door to buy it.
Those lines were HIGHLY overestimated, and they were only in big markets like New York, Los Angeles, Chicago etc.

I remember when Sprint goofed and reported more sales of the device than actually sold to combat the iPhone 4 release. The thing sold well, but a drop in the bucket compare to the iPhone 4.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Those lines were HIGHLY overestimated, and they were only in big markets like New York, Los Angeles, Chicago etc.

I remember when Sprint goofed and reported more sales of the device than actually sold to combat the iPhone 4 release. The thing sold well, but a drop in the bucket compare to the iPhone 4.

I was right outside NYC when it released. I agree with you, there really weren't any lines. The only reason it seemed like it was because they botched the release horribly and many stores got less than 10 units in. Most Radio Shacks got 4 or 5

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I was right outside NYC when it released. I agree with you, there really weren't any lines. The only reason it seemed like it was because they botched the release horribly and many stores got less than 10 units in. Most Radio Shacks got 4 or 5

Yea, but in many markets, it was hard to get one because HTC was struggling to keep up with demand. Even my local Best Buy told me that the Evo 4G was their top selling phone edging out the iPhone. The original Evo's were flying off the shelves. There is a reason they are still trying to capitalize off of the brand.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Yea, but in many markets, it was hard to get one because HTC was struggling to keep up with demand. Even my local Best Buy told me that the Evo 4G was their top selling phone edging out the iPhone. The original Evo's were flying off the shelves. There is a reason they are still trying to capitalize off of the brand.

I'm not saying they didn't sell well, because they did, but Sprint definitely overhyped the sales. There was a reason they didn't release numbers for a long time. Keeping up with the demand had more to do with extremely low initial shipments than lines.