Can you turn LTE off?

hmmm

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I know with the LTE devices on Verizon you can turn it off to save battery I think because it is actually a separate chip (like the current wimax devicies I think) but if the LTE is built into the CPU in the EVO LTE will we be able to actually turn it off? Part of me doesn't want to worry about turning it on and off. I would love to just get LTE when available and have it managed like 1x/3G but the other part of me wants the battery savings, especially during the time there is no LTE in Minnesota.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I know with the LTE devices on Verizon you can turn it off to save battery I think because it is actually a separate chip (like the current wimax devicies I think) but if the LTE is built into the CPU in the EVO LTE will we be able to actually turn it off? Part of me doesn't want to worry about turning it on and off. I would love to just get LTE when available and have it managed like 1x/3G but the other part of me wants the battery savings, especially during the time there is no LTE in Minnesota.

Should be able to, yeah.

See this, and reverse it. :) http://www.androidcentral.com/why-it-makes-sense-sprint-launch-galaxy-nexus-lte-turned-default

Reactions: hmmm

hmmm

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I just didn't know if it was different due to the LTE being integrated rather than separate. That note from your link makes it seem like you would keep it on all the time though once it is available in your market which is nice.

The wimax toggling gets kind of old when I do want to use it. I toyed with leaving it on all the time when I first got my EVO Shift and that lasted about a day when I realized it destroyed my battery life.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I just didn't know if it was different due to the LTE being integrated rather than separate. That note from your link makes it seem like you would keep it on all the time though once it is available in your market which is nice.

The wimax toggling gets kind of old when I do want to use it. I toyed with leaving it on all the time when I first got my EVO Shift and that lasted about a day when I realized it destroyed my battery life.

The only difference is that the SIM card is integrated, rather than removable That's it.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Someone put out a report saying LTE would be disabled by default

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
This could very well be true considering the GNex on Sprint is releasing with LTE disabled by default due to the limited LTE market at this time.

JManekia

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
LTE will be turned "off" by default as Sprint has yet to announce the Official date for LTE to be switched on. But if you own the LTE device and live in the first few markets to get LTE first, you may be able to "discover" the LTE if you turn it on.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Yes you can turn LTE off. It will be off by default. An update will be released enabling it in the future but initially LTE will be turned off for battery reasons.