Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By fivegear
  • 1 Post By IAmSixNine
  • 1 Post By FocusedOne
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    4.xx

Default Coverage with 4G lte, not 4G compatible!

Hi I was really excited to pre-order the evo 4g lte until I realized that the 4G LTE is not compatible with standard Sprint 4G network. I live in LA and LTE is not even scheduled for this year, this means I'm going to be stuck with the super slow 3G network from Sprint.
    Does it bother anyone? LTE is only coming to a few cities this year...
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,600 Global Posts

Default Re: Coverage with 4G lte, not 4G compatible!

It does suck, but we have to move on into the future.

Adding a wimax radio into the EVO would probably have made it bulkier.

I am also in the LA area, and will put up with the 3G speeds.

It doesn't bother me. Probably because Sprint never bothered to give my area 3G let alone any form of 4G. Yes you read that correctly, Sprint still has pockets of forgotten about, populated areas, that don't even have 3G..... I wish they would complete a network roll out before they start a whole new one.

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

yeah, i won't miss wimax either. i live in the dc area, and actually has a strong signal around my house, but i rarely use wimax. i use wifi at home and the wimax eats up battery like crazy. i am happy that dc metro area is schedule to recieve lte this year.

I bought the og evo knowing there was no 4g in my area, nor would there probably ever be for the life of that phone, and I was right. I cant miss what I never had.

I'm preordering the evo4glte knowing again there is no 4g in my area, nor will there likely be for the lifetime of this phone either. I use the heck out of wifi so I just dont care about 4g.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    4.xx

Even in LA, 4G sucks pretty bad, I can't believe that in such a big city, 4G coverage is so poor. If you stand still you get full reception with top speeds of 9mb/s but you r on the bus or in a car you keep switching back and forth between 3g and 4g.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    820 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

That's the problem with wimax and be glad you got anything. San Diego never got 4G coverage and not sure when it will get LTE. Only times I've used 4G on my EVO was out of town and a lot of times I would forget to turn it on. I'd still rather just have 3G and not deal with any other carrier.
    Kyo 6035 > Kyo 7135 > Palm 800W > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVOLTE > HTC One (M8) + EVO View 4G

ROM
    Venom, Gummy

Actually L.A. is scheduled for this year. I'm glad to be done with wimax because once I get on the road my 4g is terrible but it is awesome if I'm standing still in one place. LTE should get rid of that instability.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Looks like LA Metro area is in the first round.

Im in Dallas and am in a first round as well, however i have had better luck with Samsung devices so i am waiting to see what samsung provides sprint this year before i make a decision on an LTE device. Well a decision between the GS3 and EVO LTE.
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Twitter @AndroidTechGuy and @IAmSixNine
    Google+Google+
    Thanked by 2:
    delthor7 likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

ROM
    4.xx

Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    Looks like LA Metro area is in the first round.

Im in Dallas and am in a first round as well, however i have had better luck with Samsung devices so i am waiting to see what samsung provides sprint this year before i make a decision on an LTE device. Well a decision between the GS3 and EVO LTE.
    This is an interesting but then why on Sprint's website I don't see LA scheduled anywhere:

"Sprint 4G LTE coming soon! Sprint 4G LTE is expected to launch in Atlanta, Baltimore, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City and San Antonio in mid-2012"

I bought the OG EVO a few days after its launch, and the EVO3D on its launch day, and I have probably used 4G WiMax less than a cumulative total of 12 hours in that nearly two-year period. Most of that was consumed during one business trip when I used my EVO as a hotspot.

Translation: While I'm looking forward to seeing what LTE brings, that's not my primary concern. The more important thing for me is for Network Vision to improve 3G data speeds, overall coverage, and especially building penetration. If they do that, any LTE goodness will simply be the icing on the cake.
    Thanked by:

I won't be getting this phone until LTE is here in Miami. 4G Wimax is pretty useful to me in most areas when I get fed up with the slow 3g. Even tho I'm on 3g most of the time. We'll see if I'm still saying this once my upgrade is available

Quote Originally Posted by keld View Post
    Even in LA, 4G sucks pretty bad, I can't believe that in such a big city, 4G coverage is so poor. If you stand still you get full reception with top speeds of 9mb/s but you r on the bus or in a car you keep switching back and forth between 3g and 4g.
    Vegas is the same way. This is what really bothered me about WiMax. 3G ends up being faster without the switching back and forth.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

ROM
    4.xx

They recently improved 4G coverage in LA, before I barely got a signal at work, now I get one bar of 4G, and on my drive back from work, I'm almost 4g all the way except for a couple of spots where it switches back to 3g.
    If I don't get LTE for a yeah or so I'll be pretty bummed as 4g makes using a phone much more enjoyable, watching netflix on the go, opening web pages is a bliss even on a 2 years old phone.

This is an interesting but then why on Sprint's website I don't see LA scheduled anywhere:

"Sprint 4G LTE coming soon! Sprint 4G LTE is expected to launch in Atlanta, Baltimore, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City and San Antonio in mid-2012"
    Those were the initial first 5 cities that were announced. Since then other first round cities were added. The info from the site has been accurate for me so far so im ok with it.
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Twitter @AndroidTechGuy and @IAmSixNine
    Google+Google+

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

I called Sprint and spoke w/ a senior rep today. He told me they plan to have the majority of the network running LTE by the end of the year. I told him that is not what Sprint is saying; they are saying 2013-4. He said he was looking at a map of every cell tower getting upgraded and could see which ones had already been upgraded and which were in the process. He actually told me the install date for the upgrade of the tower closest to my house (chandler, AZ) was June 7th. I have no idea if this guy was blowing smoke, but he sounded pretty knowledgable. Take it for what it is, I'll believe it when I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pace Racing View Post
    I called Sprint and spoke w/ a senior rep today.
    Just curious, how do you know he was a senior rep (as opposed to the typical uninformed one)?

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Just curious, how do you know he was a senior rep (as opposed to the typical uninformed one)?
    My call was escalated twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pace Racing View Post
    I called Sprint and spoke w/ a senior rep today. He told me they plan to have the majority of the network running LTE by the end of the year. I told him that is not what Sprint is saying; they are saying 2013-4. He said he was looking at a map of every cell tower getting upgraded and could see which ones had already been upgraded and which were in the process. He actually told me the install date for the upgrade of the tower closest to my house (chandler, AZ) was June 7th. I have no idea if this guy was blowing smoke, but he sounded pretty knowledgable. Take it for what it is, I'll believe it when I see it.
    I have been with sprint for a long time and one the thing I can tell you about their reps is that they know nothing and will tell you anything to get you to buy something.
    KoukiFC3S likes this.

ROM
    Stock Android 2.2

Well, this is news to me and it makes me kinda sad. I didn't realize the 4g lte wouldn't get 4g reception. . . until LTE rolls out. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. .. and, I use 4G all the time. I may hold on to my Samsung a little longer though depending on how soon this area gets the LTE. . . I cannot imagine going back to 3g speeds

Never used 4G and will probably never use LTE either...Still preordered yesterday, 3G in my parts don't seem that bad, yet if you've never had something else it doesn't seem all to different lol

***Please excuse any and all typos as my large thumbs cannot fit the keyboard correctly***

Quote Originally Posted by kuscoot View Post
    Well, this is news to me and it makes me kinda sad. I didn't realize the 4g lte wouldn't get 4g reception. . . until LTE rolls out. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. .. and, I use 4G all the time. I may hold on to my Samsung a little longer though depending on how soon this area gets the LTE. . . I cannot imagine going back to 3g speeds
    If I were like you, I would probably wait too. But I am like the 99% on this one - don't have Wimax in my area, only used it very occasionally while traveling. So who cares if LTE is fully rolled out or not. You can't miss something you never had.

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Being in the Chicagoland area, I've always had 4G accessibility ever since I picked up the OG EVO at launch. So, it will take a while to get used to not having it when I need it for a while. But, for me the choice was a no-brainer. There are too many pros to justify getting an E4GLTE than there are cons to make me pass on it. Besides, it looks as if Chicago might be getting upgraded to LTE late this year (been researching S4GRU's website). I can hold out until then.

On another note...I actually had a moment unrooting my OG EVO in preparation for trading it in to Best Buy for the credits. Felt like saying goodbye to an old friend.

Because LA is a large market. It won't be fully built-out for another 4-5 months.

That being said, they are already launching LTE sites all around LA.

This is nothing like the clearwire 4G you had before - this is actually being done correctly. All new backhaul, all new base stations, all new antennas, using Sprint's spectrum.

Where you get Sprint coverage now, you will get even better 3G/4G coverage once they do the upgrades
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

ROM
    4.xx

That's good to know. I live right in the middle of the city in a dead spot, in my building I don't get reception, drop calls all the time, barely any 3g. Called Sprint many times they said they're having an issue with the antenna in my area (it's been like this for 2 years) but said everything should be resolved on June 17th.
    My neighbor has Sprint too but they sent him a free box (airwave?) so now he has 5 bars of reception. When I asked Sprint to get one too they said they cannot give one to everyone that doesn't have reception. That kind of pissed me off. It better get fixed on June 17.