Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jnl813
  • 1 Post By Darth Mo
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Who is sticking close to stock for a while?

Just curious...with my current OG EVO, I use a variety of apps to make up for deficiencies with some of the stock apps. I know we won't know for sure until we get our greedy hands on them, but wondering who is planning on replacing things ASAP?

I am going to try to run stock for a while, here is what I have on my current device:

Sense, replaced by Go Launcher
    Browser, replaced by Dolphin
    Messaging, replaced by Go SMS
    Lockscreen, replaced by Widget Locker
    Gallery, replaced by QuickPic
    HTC Weather, replaced by Weather Bug
    Clock, replaced by Beautiful Widgets
    Alarm, replaced by Gentle Alarm

I will most likely immediately replace the Alarm with Gentle Alarm and HTC Weather with WeatherBug, but I think the others will stay for a while.

What are you going to do?

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Who is sticking close to stock for a while?

I only replaced Messaging with Handcent, but I'm rooted so I have a few other things that I won't have for a while on the LTE. :\
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,657 Global Posts

The only app I will replace at first is the browser. I will use Chrome beta instead.

As for the rest, I will first use Sense 4 and see how it is. Based on the previews, it looks great and very functional.

Oh, and I will probably replace the keyboard with the swiftkey beta.

I'm not familiar with the features of ICS so I'm sticking with stock for a while till I learn them all. I'm currently running CM 7.1.0 on my Evo 4g.

Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Viper Rom ICS Android 4.0

Will be replacing the keyboard with Thumb Keyboard, browser with either Dolphin or Chrome. Other than that probably stock until I get bored. : )

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    daafisch likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by jesse813 View Post
    Will be replacing the keyboard with Thumb Keyboard, browser with either Dolphin or Chrome. Other than that probably stock until I get bored. : )

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Oh man, forgot about my keyboard....will be replacing mine with SwiftKey X.

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

will be using swiftkey, chrome, go sms pro, and probably nova launcher.

I prefer google Apps over htcs (camera, music, calendar, browser, people, etc)

the only app i know i prefer from HTC is clock (which includes countdown, alarms, timers, etc)

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts

Swiftkey is a must for me and I'm looking forward to using Chrome as a browser. Other than that...I assume I will be good until I've had the phone long enough and the hype wears off. After that, it'll be time to get my root on.

Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    The only app I will replace at first is the browser. I will use Chrome beta instead.

As for the rest, I will first use Sense 4 and see how it is. Based on the previews, it looks great and very functional.

Oh, and I will probably replace the keyboard with the swiftkey beta.

That's exactly what I am also planning to do. Swiftkey and chrome. Though planning to give the sense 4 keyboard some usage to see how it is.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Definitely sticking with stock for awhile, except dolphin.

What's this about ICS and Flash?

Quote Originally Posted by TraderGary View Post
    What's this about ICS and Flash?
    I thought I read that the Chrome browser for Android doesn't support Flash.

Flash may be on it's way out but it's still a must have in a browser right now.
    delthor7 likes this.

I'll try Sense out for awhile before I switch to Apex or GO Launcher. Definitely getting SwiftKey, WeatherBug, and Chrome to replace their stock counterparts.

I'm fine with out flash. And i have a back up stock browser if i REALLY need it.

Which has been approximately zero times in the last 8 months.

I'm fine with stock but would really like to get root. Then I can use titanium backup to quickly get all of my apps and data moved over. I also like to remove any apps I don't use. I'm a little worried that ASOP roms won't utilize the camera as well as stock. Overall I'm ok with stock for a while but I like to play so we will see how long that lasts. After seeing my battery life double on mean rom for the 3d it is hard to stick to stock forever!

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    I'm fine with out flash. And i have a back up stock browser if i REALLY need it.

Which has been approximately zero times in the last 8 months.
    yup, i find myselfuing chrome more and more. flash crashes a lot on the phone anyway, so i rather use flash on my desktop.

Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10, CM9

The one thing sense has gotten right is Exchange Active Sync policies. Specifically the "lock device after..." policy. Stock android does not support this being anything but "immediate" when the screen goes off.

Most policies give you a 5-60min grace period where if you sleep your device (screen off) you can unsleep it (screen on) within that grace period and not have to re-enter your password.

As long as I can get root and uninstall footprints, peep, stocks, friend stream, etc, I'm happy with sense.
    I like phones.

Stock, with exception of SwiftKey, HD widgets which mimics the features of the stock clock widget without the look and although I like the stock browser I will try Chrome, my favorite PC browser.

Global Posts
    737 Global Posts

I'll be sticking stock and no rooting. I've rooted for my whole Android lifetime since the HTC Hero. I'm tired of the reboots, hard resets, back ups and restores. I've grown accustomed to the iPhone and my phone running just fine out of the box without me manipulating it. So I wont be doing anything special with this Evo LTE. Stock for me. I may do a third party launcher but honestly, I doubt it. I love HTC and I'm getting an EVO 4G LTE for a reason.

Of course...I say this NOW...that may change. I mean I AM using an Android device, right?

Quote Originally Posted by grandebob View Post
    The one thing sense has gotten right is Exchange Active Sync policies. Specifically the "lock device after..." policy. Stock android does not support this being anything but "immediate" when the screen goes off.

Most policies give you a 5-60min grace period where if you sleep your device (screen off) you can unsleep it (screen on) within that grace period and not have to re-enter your password.

As long as I can get root and uninstall footprints, peep, stocks, friend stream, etc, I'm happy with sense.
    You're absolutely right. When I first got my OG EVO I had to use only 4 digit pin unlock. I hope this isn't the case with the newest version of sense.

I would like to stick with stock for a while, with the exception of Swiftkey. I will probably end up installing Dolphin very shortly.