Universal Inbox, really?!?

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Wow, how did I miss this? Did anyone else ever see this mentioned or demoed?

According to this document https://insidesprintnow.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/htc-evo-4g-lte-factsheet.docx, here is the feature explained:

• Universal in-box: See all your accounts in one place.
o No more switching between accounts.
o Just tap the bar that shows the current email account, and then tap All accounts.
o Email messages are color-coded so you can easily distinguish which email accounts they belong to.
o You can also choose to view accounts individually.

I can't believe I haven't heard anything about this. How did I miss it?

Funny, the same doc says this about battery life:

• Non-Removable 2000mAh, lithium-ion Battery with Up to X.X Hours continuous talk time.

chesalaam

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I can do this already on the 3vo. now I'm also rooted, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. I do it with the native mail feature

yocubed

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I personally don't want a universal inbox. I like keeping work email separate from my Gmail.

Agreed that's one thing that I actually prefer about my EVO over the new phone. I like having my separate accounts and having to switch from one to the other. The color coded identification is cool but when I open my email I want to specifically open only the one that I select. I guess I'll get used to the change but I think its a step backwards.

chesalaam

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Agreed that's one thing that I actually prefer about my EVO over the new phone. I like having my separate accounts and having to switch from one to the other. The color coded identification is cool but when I open my email I want to specifically open only the one that I select. I guess I'll get used to the change but I think its a step backwards.

it's an option, not a system wide change.

ollieg

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I never thought about this at the time.

My old Archos G8 had the universal mailbox feature back in Froyo (or before). The old Sense UI on our OG EVO phones must have been disabling a standard Android feature...

I wonder if that's an example of why Sense UI made so many people cringe?

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I personally don't want a universal inbox. I like keeping work email separate from my Gmail.

This isn't anything new, so it's nothing to get worried about. If you don't want your gmail account included in the mail app, then just don't add it. Gmail will still work through the gmail app. Even if you do add it, it won't show up unless you drop down the account box and select Gmail or all. Again, if you don't want your mail app to show more than one email account then don't add it. It will only show email accounts that you setup in the app.

ImNoPrince

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I use Windows Live Mail at home and it has the same function and works very well for me. I went with Enhanced E-mail on my Evo 4G as it has the same features and can do dump every now and then for the memory leakage issues . I do keep my Gmail out of that and just use the Gmail app for that account and run my other 4 account on the Enhanced.

cruiserandmax

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
My main gmail account has always been the "universal" account for all of my other email accounts (gmail or otherwise). I don't know why I would want my easy-come-easy-go phone to be the centralizer of that data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38