Protecting phone from heat

errbin

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
OK I work at a prison and the new warden is being a dick and removed all the lockers
for the staff. Now I have to leave my cellphone in the car. I live in Arizona and summer
is around the corner.

what's the best way to protect my EVO from the summer love of 115+ degrees

I'm thinking of putting it a sealed plactic bag wrapped in a small towel inside a
lunch box with a couple of blue chillers ice inserts

thoughts, ideas, and suggestions???

Oh and I can't sneak it in the prison there's metal detectors and x-ray scanners

krcm0209

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Well, while worrying about it getting too hot, you also would not want it to get too cold (battery life), and worse yet, you do not want to introduce moisture through condensation. Hmm. Never thought about this before, I've never really had this problem. Though just leaving it in the car shouldn't hurt it if it is turned off.

errbin

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I've seen people leave iPhones and other cellphones in their cars and the heat killing it even when they were turned off

jrham

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you . I'm at perryville and my phone sits in my hot ass car all day . I've been thinking of tryin one of the small insulated lunch bags .

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I've always kept my phones in my lunch box while at work for the last 10 years. The only trouble I had was the screen was a little fogged up for a few minutes when you first pulled it out of the cold. I would recommend keeping the phone towards the top of the cooler.

couragedragon

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I live in FL, and I can see being a little concerned. It's not uncommon for in car temps to be easily +140F. I used to burn my hand on my seatbelt buckle.

I wouldn't cool it though. You're risking condensation issues each time you take it out (even though it's dry as hell in AZ :D ). Not only do you risk damaging the phone, but you might trigger the humidity/moisture sensor in your phone negating any warranty/replacement claims. Why risk it?

I'd just get one of those small coolers, throw the phone in an insulated lunch bag and then throw that in the cooler and put that in your trunk. (You're basically making a double layer of insulation with air in the coolest part of your car.)

It's unlikely the air in the lunch bag will rise much higher than 100 degrees, which is plenty safe. If you're really paranoid, you could throw one of the blue ice blocks in the cooler, which will keep the air in the cooler cool, and still keep the phone in the insulated lunch bag.

All else fails, store the phone in your bosses ass. That'll keep it around body temp, and ideally bring your boss some discomfort for being a total dick. Might want to use the ziplock bag idea for that one.

IRBanite

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Trying different methods with a thermometer first, since you don't have the phone yet, might give you the best answer. As for the thermometer, I'm guessing an oven thermometer would work the best.

IRBanite

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Now that I think about it, the oven one probably won't give you the info you need. Try to find a thermometer that will show you the max temp it got to.

Sent from my LS670, til my EVOLTE arrives, using Android Central Forums

errbin

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Well its not summer yet but I've seen it get 130 degrees in a car but never checked the trunk won't it be hotter in there?

couragedragon

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Well its not summer yet but I've seen it get 130 degrees in a car but never checked the trunk won't it be hotter in there?

My cabin frequently hit 145 degrees while my trunk was "only" 130 degrees. YRMV. I think the advantage was inside the trunk didn't have direct sun beating down on it.

insulated lunch bag= solved :)

The problem for me with just using the insulated lunch bag is that there's no thermal barrier. Meaning, a lunch bag sitting for 8 hrs in a 140 degree car basically becomes 140 degrees itself and then proceeds to heat the contents as well.

That's why doing the double cooler method works a lot better imo.

errbin

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
OK I'll use the trunk and I have a insulated cooler with a top zipper to keep dry food I'll put the blue ice in bottom

Vysse

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Fairly certain that heat, unless well over 120 degrees, will not mess up your phone however, direct sunlight can and will.

sparkeater79

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
paulc has a good point, if you must leave the phone in your car, put it under the seat out of direct sunlight. Heat rises remember, so keep it low in the vehicle.

Jason Sands

May 27, 2016
Visit site
I live in FL, and I can see being a little concerned. It's not uncommon for in car temps to be easily +140F. I used to burn my hand on my seatbelt buckle.

I wouldn't cool it though. You're risking condensation issues each time you take it out (even though it's dry as hell in AZ :D ). Not only do you risk damaging the phone, but you might trigger the humidity/moisture sensor in your phone negating any warranty/replacement claims. Why risk it?

I'd just get one of those small coolers, throw the phone in an insulated lunch bag and then throw that in the cooler and put that in your trunk. (You're basically making a double layer of insulation with air in the coolest part of your car.)

It's unlikely the air in the lunch bag will rise much higher than 100 degrees, which is plenty safe. If you're really paranoid, you could throw one of the blue ice blocks in the cooler, which will keep the air in the cooler cool, and still keep the phone in the insulated lunch bag.

All else fails, store the phone in your bosses ***. That'll keep it around body temp, and ideally bring your boss some discomfort for being a total ****. Might want to use the ziplock bag idea for that one.

Jason Sands

May 27, 2016
Visit site
I agree you should cool an overheated phone gradually. The only other solution may be to buy a heat and cold resistant smartphone case from a company named Salt. The company mainly focus on iPhone cases but recently started manufacturing a universal smartphone case. The cases boast using NASA thermal material and the cases look quite nice (red and black tweed with leather accents). The price is 35 and up ...

Last edited: