Updating apps on Android

bstryd

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm moving over to Android from WebOS with the EVO 4G LTE - finally putting the original Pre to rest. But I was wondering about app updates. In WebOS, it was pretty smooth with notifications and options to update all at once. This even included homebrew or third party apps through the Preware site - very cool. So how does that work on Android? Do I have to go chase them down?

Any help and info appreciated. And - boy - am I gonna seriously miss wireless charging. I can't believe I've been using TouchStones for over 2 years and nobody else has anything. Sad.

Anyway - thanks for giving this newbie some insight.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yes and no on the updates. You generally get an update alert when you go into the market, go to my apps, then updates, update all.

Homebrews you generally have to track yourself.

Wireless charging exists for android, just not the Evo

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
you can set it to update apps automatically, even set it to only update auto over wifi, or any connection. you get a notification while they are updating.

But if the apps permissions change with the new update, you will have to go to the market and update those manually (you get a notification) and can still click 'update all' to update all of those. This is so you can approve the new permissions.

Krasin

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
The page will look like this and there will be a separation up top with any app with an update. Its very simple.

ImNoPrince

May 7, 2012
Visit site
When I switched to the OG EVO and left the Pre the Touchstone was the only thing I really missed as I had them in my Cars as well. the Evo has a nice Dock so I just got a few of those it's drop in so not having to plug in was still not bad. I hope they have something similar for the LTE.

Also don't forget to sign up for the Amazon App store. They give a free app every day most are garbage but I have gotten a few very good ones from it as well.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
One thing you will notice a huge difference between updating apps on Android that you didn't see with webOS though is that many apps updated frequently. You may not want to set your apps to update automagically. I always wait a day or two and watch the comments for the app to make sure I really want to update the app.

DougB541#CB

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah i turned update automatically on...christ it starts doing it when i don't want it to haha.

I get a new update on at least one app once a day it seems...just the nature of the beast when the apps have to work with multiple devices.

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
One thing you will notice a huge difference between updating apps on Android that you didn't see with webOS though is that many apps updated frequently. You may not want to set your apps to update automagically. I always wait a day or two and watch the comments for the app to make sure I really want to update the app.

Agree with this 100%. Very often devs seem to rush out an update, only to find that it messed things up more things than it fixed. Indeed, sometimes the app becomes totally unusable after and update (not sure what testing some of them do....) Also sometimes the new version has added things you may not want like ads and such. I always look at what the update does and what people say about it before downloading.

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm moving over to Android from WebOS with the EVO 4G LTE - finally putting the original Pre to rest. But I was wondering about app updates. In WebOS, it was pretty smooth with notifications and options to update all at once. This even included homebrew or third party apps through the Preware site - very cool. So how does that work on Android? Do I have to go chase them down?

Any help and info appreciated. And - boy - am I gonna seriously miss wireless charging. I can't believe I've been using TouchStones for over 2 years and nobody else has anything. Sad.

Anyway - thanks for giving this newbie some insight.

Keep in mind that Android Apps can come from many different sources so the updates are different ... The same app may not update at the same time between 2 App Stores ... Angry Birds purchased through Google Play may update 3 weeks before the Update on Amazon ... Amazon, Google Play, Getjar etc all are totally separate App Stores and update differently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret