Does multitasking work correctly?

oasis9389

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I really think Phil NEEDS to put a video of this issue happening/not happening on his evo..

Gonna be done with the evo and this site. Galaxy nexus FTW.

oasis9389

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
All i am saying is if this happened on your first view of the SG3, the site would of spun that article differently.

No one, not even an android user, should have to tweak anything in order to get a phone to multitask correctly. that should work out of the box.

MinistrOfJustiz

May 12, 2010
Visit site
All i am saying is if this happened on your first view of the SG3, the site would of spun that article differently.

No one, not even an android user, should have to tweak anything in order to get a phone to multitask correctly. that should work out of the box.

Multitask correctly? Subjective. You mean, "multitask the way I want it to."

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site

lmao. That's pretty good. Need you to pick my lottery numbers, too. :p

MinistrOfJustiz

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Actually that sounds cute, but NO. If something is closing the second you switch apps its not even multitasking at all. Its running the app in the foreground and that is it.

And stock ICS will close apps that it deems memory hogs when you switch. HTC has changed the definition of what is too much of a memory hog in their iteration. The phones will multitask, just not with the apps you want.

oasis9389

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
True.. Being able to switch between pulse and the browser, within 5 seconds, is not a requirement. 2 big memory hogs. Totally, browser should close every time you switch to a new app.

Can't wait to pick up this new evo!!!

shadowhawk2020

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I know, right? I mean, how dare we explain what's going on without setting our hair on fire. The horror of being rational.

And as Jerry explained, kernel tweaks can change this.

I know you are the messenger not the designer, but statements like this are frustrating.

When you say in another thread people shouldn't root their phones if they aren't comfortable voiding their warranty, you shouldn't dismiss this type of problem by saying you can fix it in the kernel.

Reactions: oasis9389

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I know you are the messenger not the designer, but statements like this are frustrating.

When you say in another thread people shouldn't root their phones if they aren't comfortable voiding their warranty, you shouldn't dismiss this type of problem by saying you can fix it in the kernel.

If you're going to quote me, get it right. We were talking about bootloaders and warranties -- not root -- and how I felt about using unofficial unlocking methods when official ones are available.

And who says I've dismissed anything? All I pointed out is that what we're talking about is customizable in the kernel, just like Jerry pointed out.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
And who says I've dismissed anything? All I pointed out is that what we're talking about is customizable in the kernel, just like Jerry pointed out.
I don't think you've dismissed anything, but the next valid questions are "why did HTC do this?" and "what impact does it have on the user?".

It sounds like the answers seem to be "because sense takes up the majority of the 1gb of ram leaving too little for the stock settings to be able to work" and "some users are really frustrated by not being able to keep multiple apps open that older phones had no problems with".

The answer is not the conclusion that I personally drew from Jerry's article which was 'it's a design choice by HTC (like color, or screen size), not a problem that needs correcting' (which I may have misinterpreted, but that's the feeling I got reading it).

Not being able to multitask the browser along side another app is an issue that should be called out as a "con" and highlighted as a potential significant annoyance, not an aesthetic choice open for various subjective feedback on. That's a pretty big step backwards and not what one might expect from a flagship powerhouse of a phone and would certainly impact my buying decision if this affects the evo 4g lte as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: BroadcastJunkie

shadowhawk2020

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you've dismissed anything, but the next valid questions are "why did HTC do this?" and "what impact does it have on the user?".

It sounds like the answers seem to be "because sense takes up the majority of the 1gb of ram leaving too little for the stock settings to be able to work" and "some users are really frustrated by not being able to keep multiple apps open that older phones had no problems with".

The answer is not the conclusion that I personally drew from Jerry's article which was 'it's a design choice by HTC (like color, or screen size), not a problem that needs correcting' (which I may have misinterpreted, but that's the feeling I got reading it).

Not being able to multitask the browser along side another app is an issue that should be called out as a "con" and highlighted as a potential significant annoyance, not an aesthetic choice open for various subjective feedback on. That's a pretty big step backwards and not what one might expect from a flagship powerhouse of a phone and would certainly impact my buying decision if this affects the evo 4g lte as well.

From what I have read on the One X forum at XDA it is worse than just the browser. Going into text messages closes programs.

For example: My wife plays Sudoku at lunch, if i text message her and she checks it, then she tries to continue her game, she will have to start over.

gruppe3942#AC

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I thought Sense 4.0 was suppose to be streamlined and if this is true then why should it require more ram? Does ics require that much more than say 2.3?

I don't get how this was never touched on the reviews?

Last edited:

oasis9389

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Guys.. come on.. You expect apps to stay open when you send a text message? That's not a real issue, that is just multitasking not working the way YOU want it to.

::rolls eyes::

Reactions: BroadcastJunkie

calvin35

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
From what I have read on the One X forum at XDA it is worse than just the browser. Going into text messages closes programs.

For example: My wife plays Sudoku at lunch, if i text message her and she checks it, then she tries to continue her game, she will have to start over.

It's actually everything. Mine was rooted and I think I bricked it last night. The funny thing is I don't even care. The way HTC crippled that phone and the issues with available RAM were really pissing me off. When I factor in why HTC probably did what they did I just decided that I was done with the One X and HTC. I'm using my vivid right now which actually multitasks properly.