Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    567 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock Galaxy S3

Default Does multitasking work correctly?

I read about this issue a few days ago and now there's a big article about it -

HTC One X issue breaks Android multi-tasking

If this is true HTC needs to fix it asap.
    Thanked by:
    VickMackey#AC likes this.

Default Re: Does multitasking work correctly?

You would have to ask Phil -- he is the only one around these parts who has the phone to see...

Yeah, I read about this on xda the other day. What got me excited about the OneX and EVOLTE was how HTC implemented the Recent Apps feature. It's like the webOS's card UI, which I liked and missed a lot, because it made multi-tasking so much easier.

If the problem exists in the EVOLTE, I hope HTC addresses it soon.

Now, this would be a deal-breaker for me. Too bad.
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,139 Global Posts

Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    Thanks, Phil! I plan on rooting soon after I get one. It's comforting to see it seems to be a Sense issue, so I know I'll be ditching that as soon as an alternative is available. That's my biggest beef with manufacturer-customized Android: the manufacturer will inevitably find a way to cripple an otherwise excellent device.

Does this gets fixed my using a different launcher? Like Apex?

Global Posts
    539 Global Posts

I love you guys, but I think that's kind of a silly spin on it to be honest.
    Thanked by 2:
    aeroPMKamin 
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    567 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock Galaxy S3

I would say this is what is called 'Broken by Design'. Which is a lot worse than something that's broken and can be fixed. It is a deal breaker.

And in light of the Customs fiasco that's just been announced... I rest my case about manufacturer modifications.

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Funny how people were installing task killers cause they couldn't stand how Android kept things running in the background and now it does it on its own and it's wrong too. Maybe Apple will sue them for copying their sucky multi-tasking and they'll have to fix it.
    Last edited by NicksGarage; 05-15-2012 at 11:55 PM.
    Kyo 6035 > Kyo 7135 > Palm 800W > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVOLTE > HTC One (M8) + EVO View 4G
    Thanked by:

100% deal breaker will try it in the strore of its happening I'll get the nexus. HTC last chance

I can't wait to see an HTC promo rep in my nyc store and show them the issue as I buy my nexus. This issue could end HTC.

customized? what the hell are you talking about? the phone cannot multitask anything. Reviewers missed a basic android functionality. I bought the phone based on the reviews I read at android central and I regret it. About to return the phone is HTC cannot come clean on this issue.

Ac has turned into team HTC. If this was the sg3 Sammy would get abused.

What HTC has done with multitasking on this phone is disgusting. They completely effed this phone up just to make room for their crap skin. If I'm watching a YouTube video, stop to open another app and then go back to YouTube, the phone tries to reopen YouTube and can't even do that. Nice going HTC. You took a guy who swore he was only going to buy HTC phones from now on and who convinced two friends to by the One X and turned him into someone who will be buying the GSIII in around a month and won't buy another phone from HTC until they stop with this stupidity.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by calvin35 View Post
    What HTC has done with multitasking on this phone is disgusting. They completely effed this phone up just to make room for their crap skin. If I'm watching a YouTube video, stop to open another app and then go back to YouTube, the phone tries to reopen YouTube and can't even do that. Nice going HTC. You took a guy who swore he was only going to buy HTC phones from now on and who convinced two friends to by the One X and turned him into someone who will be buying the GSIII in around a month and won't buy another phone from HTC until they stop with this stupidity.
    Ooops. Right rant, wrong thread. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Clocks View Post
    I love you guys, but I think that's kind of a silly spin on it to be honest.
    Completely agree. How did EVERY review site miss this?
    everybody check this, reboot your one X. With no tasks running go to task manager. Look at free RAM I have 228 MB Free. The One GB reported by about/hardware seems to be a crock as well. Add the available to the total in task manager and you get ~670 MB. Where's the additional 330?
    The Kernel alone is taking up 160 MB.
    I'm taking mine back for a refund and grabbing a GSM GNex. As much as I hate Sammy I want a 720p phone. Buying anything else in AT&T's stable is a step backward.

This is crappy, I work in a building with pretty low coverage (just like almost everyone with Sprint). So i will load a web site and shoot over to Twitter or Facebook while it loads. The fact that sense may force Chrome to close when I go to Twitter, then have to reload the web page when I come back defeats the purpose.

It sounds like how the iPhone handles multitasking. If I wanted something to run like the iPhone I would just buy the iPhone.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean!

This sounds like turning a bug into a feature.

I really think Phil NEEDS to put a video of this issue happening/not happening on his evo..

Gonna be done with the evo and this site. Galaxy nexus FTW.
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,139 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oasis9389 View Post
    Ac has turned into team HTC. If this was the sg3 Sammy would get abused.
    I know, right? I mean, how dare we explain what's going on without setting our hair on fire. The horror of being rational.

And as Jerry explained, kernel tweaks can change this.
    Thanked by:
    Xiphias and TenshiNo like this.

All i am saying is if this happened on your first view of the SG3, the site would of spun that article differently.

No one, not even an android user, should have to tweak anything in order to get a phone to multitask correctly. that should work out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis9389 View Post
    All i am saying is if this happened on your first view of the SG3, the site would of spun that article differently.

No one, not even an android user, should have to tweak anything in order to get a phone to multitask correctly. that should work out of the box.
    Multitask correctly? Subjective. You mean, "multitask the way I want it to."

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrOfJustiz View Post
    Multitask correctly? Subjective. You mean, "multitask the way I want it to."
    Actually that sounds cute, but NO. If something is closing the second you switch apps its not even multitasking at all. Its running the app in the foreground and that is it.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast