A flawed phone dies?

p2cactus

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a number of concerns about the long term performance of the E4GLTE.

1. The GPU is last generation. It might be the current generation for Qualcomm, but it doesn't hold up against the Tegra3 or newest Samsung GPU in the international S3.

2. The phone seems to be low on memory. I think it needed 1.5 GB. Look at how Sense is aggressively killing background tasks, plus some of the lag that has been reported in the reviews. That to me indicates memory issues that will only get worse as apps get more sophisticated.

3. This delay could be significant. There is no way to tell which way this is going to go, but if it isn't resolved by the end of the week I think we are looking at months.

In my mind #1 & 2 are real issues for this phone in the second year of the contract, and #3 might just persuade me to give this update cycle a complete pass, because it looks like all of the top US phones are going to use nearly identical hardware.

Am I crazy?

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: christoph411

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
1. It's about twice as fast as the Adreno 220, and holds up very well to the Tegra 3. The Mali in the S3 is also "last gen" technically. It's just a higher clocked version, like the Adreno 225. It will be strong enough to play anything you throw at it for a good while.

2. Nope. 1GB is all that's necessary for the foreseeable future. There's a widespread obsession with too much RAM, prevalent throughout both the PC and gadget realms. Any more than 1GB is overkill right now.

3. It's looking extremely likely that preorders will have their phones within a week at most, and that the official release date will be pushed back to the 25th (1 week). What makes you think that it'll be significant? Especially if it doesn't meet the arbitrary deadline you've provided? What exactly is the magic trigger that will prolong the waiting period extensively?

You really have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: vhira82

p2cactus

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I hope I'm wrong. I'm not trolling. I have one preordered at Best Buy. I think the customs issue could be very lengthy. It isn't at all clear to me that HTC has changed Sense in any substantial way, despite what they claim.

I do disagree about the GPU and RAM, but we aren't going to solve that here.

Here's hoping for a quick resolution!

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
RAM is overvalued these days because people are still stuck in the old PC days with the old magnetic hard drives. With solid state permanent storage, the demand on memory is much smaller since data doesn't have to be sequentially accessed.

wolosyks

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
It isn't at all clear to me that HTC has changed Sense in any substantial way, despite what they claim.

This should provide some clarity...

HTC shipping custom Android builds on US devices to avoid Apple patents | The Verge

As for your other issues, all indications are that the specs on this device and the OneX are every bit as bleeding edge as devices carrying the famed Tegra3 in performance. In fact, outperforming in many cases. Tegra3 is just a techno-buzzword that is meant to sound elite.

The OG EVO made a believer out of me as I used to be a yearly (sometimes 9months) upgrader. I have been down since launch day 2010. Ill ride the EVO4g line till it gives me reason otherwise...

ScottWo

p2cactus

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Not trolling at all. I cannot wait to get my hands on the phone. I do call them as I see them though, and the lack of any real concrete news from HTC or Sprint today makes me all the more pessimistic that the phone is going to come out when it is still relevant.

I know there is the Best Buy thing. Let me show you the previous email I have from them stating it was coming out on the 18th. Not much credibility there.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
oh dear

facepalm.jpg

p2cactus

May 16, 2010
Visit site
And I rest my case with Best Buy. I now have two emails saying Sprint hadn't set a new release date.