Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
Like Tree21Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    vhira82's Avatar

    Posts
    106 Posts
    ROM
    stock

    Default Lack of Information

    Dear HTC and Sprint,

    The most difficult part of the new EVO being locked up is not the wait, its the utter and total lack of information from HTC and Sprint. Instead of allowing the general public and EVO fans to remain in the dark why not light up the room, be transparent about what steps and actions are being taken. Have the last say, always. If you have a court date today, announce it. If it goes in your favor, COOL, if not, Tell us why and who is holding up some sexy EVO goodness from us.
    It's understood that the US court system is inefficient and totally backwards by where we technologically are today. Put the information in the hands of the public and let us point our energy towards the true roadblocks.
    The majority of us believe and know that HTC has fixed the issue. Be it wrong or right, HTC followed the ruling and changed the software. It is well documented by reviews and by end users when the functionality to save a number from a text message disappeared. I was frustrated by it earlier this year. But hey, I can live with that.
    What I refuse to live with is treating the generally more intelligent Android (and HTC like myself) lovers like the cant and wont understand what is going on. Tell us and let us decide. (its not like we are iSheep).
    The ball is in your court HTC and Sprint. Give us the information. Allow us to be on your side, don't treat us like we don't know or understand what is going on.

    Signed,

    VHira82
    Sprint customer for 12 years
    HTC fan since the original EVO
    Follow me, everything is alright... https://twitter.com/FantasticVeej
    Thanked by 12:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
  2. #2  
    epidenimus's Avatar
    Racer of Elevators

    Posts
    1,139 Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

    Default Re: Lack of Information

    What do you want, besides your new toy now? It has only been a couple of days. Your luggage can get lost for much longer. The lawyers are involved and all parties are attempting to resolve the issue expeditiously. When they have progress or a dead stop, I'm sure a press release will follow. Write this letter when it has been unresolved for a couple of weeks or more.
    Thanked by:
    pov1 
    delthor7 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    vhira82's Avatar

    Posts
    106 Posts
    ROM
    stock

    Default Re: Lack of Information

    Epidenimus, I appreciate your comment and I believe I outlined what I want in my post. I want the information. Plain and simple. Oh and my EVO.
    Follow me, everything is alright... https://twitter.com/FantasticVeej
    Thanked by:
    losmercedes and cfbauer like this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Lack of Information

    I recieved an email last night from sprint that the EVO is delayed. In Sprints defense, I did get the email before the actual launch date. I think that there were no communications sent out until last night because Sprint was wating to see if they could get the phones out at the last minute and they didn't want to panic everyone. Even though alot of people were already paniced. lol. I for one am not mad or angry about this situation. Not even at Apple. Its business and in business, you don't make money if you are the nice guy. Apple had the insight to see something that may help their sales and they utilized it. It may be ethically wrong but that is the way big business goes. I will however, never purchase an Apple product because I belive that Apple is morally wrong in its actions and that the company has no good principles. I will not knock people who use Apple products, they simply like the product. This situation sucks for those of us that prordered the phone but I think that Sprint would rather us get the phone than not. The lack of communication is very common with companies these days, especially if they don't know whats going change from minute to minute. Waiting on the government sucks. I have done that for many years, but that is the government for you. The truth is that no one knows whats going on and as soon as there is an offical statement from Sprint, HTC or even Customs, I am sure that we (the customers) will hear about it. I also don't think that Sprint owes me "compensation" like I have seen on some forums. They have no controll when customs will release the phones, and neither does Apple. It is what it is. Have a fantastic weekend everyone!
    Thanked by 3:
    jhilker and larryyork22 like this.
  5. #5  
    svargas05's Avatar

    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Lack of Information

    Quote Originally Posted by vhira82 View Post
    Dear HTC and Sprint,

    The most difficult part of the new EVO being locked up is not the wait, its the utter and total lack of information from HTC and Sprint. Instead of allowing the general public and EVO fans to remain in the dark why not light up the room, be transparent about what steps and actions are being taken. Have the last say, always. If you have a court date today, announce it. If it goes in your favor, COOL, if not, Tell us why and who is holding up some sexy EVO goodness from us.
    It's understood that the US court system is inefficient and totally backwards by where we technologically are today. Put the information in the hands of the public and let us point our energy towards the true roadblocks.
    The majority of us believe and know that HTC has fixed the issue. Be it wrong or right, HTC followed the ruling and changed the software. It is well documented by reviews and by end users when the functionality to save a number from a text message disappeared. I was frustrated by it earlier this year. But hey, I can live with that.
    What I refuse to live with is treating the generally more intelligent Android (and HTC like myself) lovers like the cant and wont understand what is going on. Tell us and let us decide. (its not like we are iSheep).
    The ball is in your court HTC and Sprint. Give us the information. Allow us to be on your side, don't treat us like we don't know or understand what is going on.

    Signed,

    VHira82
    Sprint customer for 12 years
    HTC fan since the original EVO
    In Sprint's defense, they've done a MUCH better job communicating than the other carriers on issues like these...

    Though, Sprint could still step their game up a bit... I'm just saying, they do it better and more-so than others.
    Thanked by 2:
    pov1vhira82 
    venomousranger likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Lack of Information

    It really doesn't matter what Sprint does here, more information, less information, or even no information. Whatever they do, a large group of people will still be upset and complaining. I would guess the entire process (customs, courts, conference calls, etc.) is very fluid and changing constantly. One minute if looks like things are a go and the next minute things are a no-go. Would I like more information, sure absolutely. But I do not want to hear phones are shipping and then be told phones are shipping over and over again. Sprint is waiting until they can give us a firm update so they do not have to retract any statements or new launch dates.

    If the 23rd is the new unofficial date (maybe or maybe not) I would expect the phones to ship out to all of the pre-orders on Monday. But who knows!
    Thanked by 2:
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Lack of Information

    I agree with the TC.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Lack of Information

    I, too, would love to have the information that would make me feel all warm and fuzzy. The trouble is that the info doesn't exist. What we really want is our phones, and failing that, we want to know when we can have them. Sprint doesn't have that answer, and would probably like to have it even more than we would, as hard as that is to believe.

    Even if they are at liberty to discuss any court proceedings, my guess is that their legal department would advise against it. If I am an attorney on this case, and might have to negotiate or argue something, I do not want to be hampered by a PR campaign. Also, if you've ever been involved in court proceedings, you know that they are rarely predictable. Do we really need an email or press release getting our hopes up because Sprint is hopeful of a resolution, only to have something surprise them and then they get to explain to a bunch of customers who then whine, "But, you promised!" I once went through a long child custody battle and for for almost a year I fully expected to walk out of court with my kids. Time after time I walked away upset, angry, frustrated and confused because I believed the facts spoke for themselves. One day I got a call that when I picked them up for my weekly visitation that evening, that they were not to be dropped back off. Seemingly out of the blue, but in reality after 2 years. Not that I am saying we'll wait 2 years for our phones, just that none of the parties involved have any idea what is going to happen or when. Which brings us back to the question, what exactly are we expecting Sprint to say to us? I don't particularly want to get another email from them except the one saying that my phone is in transit. I have as much anxiety as anyone about this, trust me, and it is pretty disproportionate to the importance of this phone, but I have it. I would really love for someone to be able to relieve that anxiety. But, seriously, we all know what that is...and Sprint can't give it to us on anything but the court's timetable. Life sucks, and then you get your phone,
    Thanked by 2:
    squigey, kablewy, raven312 and 1 others like this.
  9. #9  
    raiderep's Avatar

    Posts
    113 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    These sort of forums are a good way to vent but remember that this is out of our control. Its kind of like being a passenger in a car and getting nervous, your instinct tells you to grab the wheel or yell instructions at the driver, neither will help but rather make things worse. I for one got in this "car" on my own free will and am enjoying the ride. Sometimes it helps to look at the scenery and have some faith in the driver you chose. The destination hasn't changed because the ride got bumpy.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    Thanked by:
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Lack of Information

    As of now, Sprint has posted up all the messages that they need to...for the general public. I'm not including people that's hitting F5 all the time on the Inside Sprint Now site, or here at AC. For the general public, they've updated their site, their forums, and even sent emails. They've let everyone know that it was delayed due to customs, made that public on their site and forums, and last night (before the phone officially went on sale) let all the people that pre-ordered the phone aware. Unfortunately, the news broke before the phone went on sale, and that's when everyone went into a panic...it sucks...but Sprint is working it. What else can you do now? It's Friday, and and that phone isn't going anywhere today....or not this afternoon anyway.
  11. #11  

    Default

    I actually added TEP when I ordered the Evo. If this goes on long enough, would I actually be charged for it without actually having received the device protected by TEP? Interesting possibility...

    Anyway, I think Sprint should just charge a small amount rather than the full price for preorders to avoid problems. Or just do like every companies do and only charge when the product is shipped...

    Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
    jeffreytz likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Lack of Information



    The problem is the Department of Homeland Security.

    According to HTC, U.S. Customs officials have refused to inspect its product or consider lifting the ban after a month of inaction. With the AT&T and Sprint left in a quandary about how to fulfill preorders, HTC is desperate to get the ban lifted.

    But the U.S. International Trade Commission and Customs have offered no clue that Customs officials might be ready to review HTC's seized shipments. Thus HTC finds itself in the position of a prisoner left forgotten in a holding cell.
  13. #13  
    sjcdal's Avatar

    Posts
    89 Posts
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

    Default Re: Lack of Information



    Hmmm...So NOTHING will happen until after the 28th now?

    Judge Orders Apple and HTC to Talk It Out
    MAY 17, 2012 AT 1:43 PM PT


    inShare
    Share
    Print
    With their patent war raging on, Apple and HTC have been ordered into face-to-face mediation talks to settle their legal differences. Issued by the U.S. District Court of Delaware on Thursday, the order requires counsel and key decision makers from both companies to attend a session on August 28, 2012. It follows by a single day the enforcement of an International Trade Commission import ban on two HTC smartphones won by Apple in December of 2011.
    misc>Launch Day PalmPre>>Launch Day EVO!>ditto Evo 3d>>Ditto Evo LTE>HTC ONE
  14. #14  
    dskwerl's Avatar

    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 10

    Default Re: Lack of Information

    Quote Originally Posted by sjcdal View Post


    Hmmm...So NOTHING will happen until after the 28th now?

    Judge Orders Apple and HTC to Talk It Out
    MAY 17, 2012 AT 1:43 PM PT


    inShare
    Share
    Print
    With their patent war raging on, Apple and HTC have been ordered into face-to-face mediation talks to settle their legal differences. Issued by the U.S. District Court of Delaware on Thursday, the order requires counsel and key decision makers from both companies to attend a session on August 28, 2012. It follows by a single day the enforcement of an International Trade Commission import ban on two HTC smartphones won by Apple in December of 2011.
    Note the 28th is actually August 28th there. It's reasonable, at this point, to assume it isn't going to take that long.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    vhira82's Avatar

    Posts
    106 Posts
    ROM
    stock

    Default Re: Lack of Information

    I hate to say it but IF it goes to August. I will wait it out till next year....
    Follow me, everything is alright... https://twitter.com/FantasticVeej
    Thanked by:
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Lack of Information

    Quote Originally Posted by sjcdal View Post


    Hmmm...So NOTHING will happen until after the 28th now?

    Judge Orders Apple and HTC to Talk It Out
    MAY 17, 2012 AT 1:43 PM PT


    inShare
    Share
    Print
    With their patent war raging on, Apple and HTC have been ordered into face-to-face mediation talks to settle their legal differences. Issued by the U.S. District Court of Delaware on Thursday, the order requires counsel and key decision makers from both companies to attend a session on August 28, 2012. It follows by a single day the enforcement of an International Trade Commission import ban on two HTC smartphones won by Apple in December of 2011.
    I'm pretty sure that's a separate issue. The judge wants them to hash things out to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen again. The whole stuck-in-customs thing will most likely get resolved as soon as they verify the patent is no longer on the phones.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Lack of Information

    Quote Originally Posted by vhira82 View Post
    Dear HTC and Sprint,

    ......

    Signed,

    VHira82
    Sprint customer for 12 years
    HTC fan since the original EVO
    I think you submitted this to the wrong place, this is not Sprint nor HTC
    FApple
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    kablewy likes this.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    vhira82's Avatar

    Posts
    106 Posts
    ROM
    stock

    Default Re: Lack of Information

    forward to them if you have an email or something.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Lack of Information

    Quote Originally Posted by silverthornne View Post
    I actually added TEP when I ordered the Evo. If this goes on long enough, would I actually be charged for it without actually having received the device protected by TEP? Interesting possibility...

    Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
    If they do, file a "Lost or Stolen" claim, maybe you'll get lucky and they will find you one...
  20. #20  
    BigDinCA's Avatar

    Posts
    870 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Lack of Information

    Quote Originally Posted by Duffin View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's a separate issue. The judge wants them to hash things out to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen again. The whole stuck-in-customs thing will most likely get resolved as soon as they verify the patent is no longer on the phones.
    You are correct - that is a totally separate legal battle.
  21. #21  
    sjcdal's Avatar

    Posts
    89 Posts
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

    Default Re: Lack of Information

    Quote Originally Posted by Duffin View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's a separate issue. The judge wants them to hash things out to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen again. The whole stuck-in-customs thing will most likely get resolved as soon as they verify the patent is no longer on the phones.
    Good...I sure hope so. Still hoping that BB had it partially correct.

    Amazon btw still showing it as shipping today with delivery estimate of Tuesday. If only.....

    Item not yet shipped
    Item: Qty:
    HTC EVO LTE 4G Android Phone (Sprint) 1
    [FREE GIFT] AmazonBasics Micro USB Universal Car Charger with Micro to Mini USB Adapter and Nokia Barrel Adapter 1
    Delivery Estimate: May 22, 2012
    misc>Launch Day PalmPre>>Launch Day EVO!>ditto Evo 3d>>Ditto Evo LTE>HTC ONE
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Lack of Information

    Called Sprint to play ignorant and ask for info. They really don't seem to have any. The Indian bloke on the phone was just certain that it would ship in a couple days, but said they won't know when it has shipped until I get the tracking number.

    The one bit of good news I got out of him is that they have expedited the shipment. So when it does ship, it shouldn't take long.

    Although... my last phone I ordered online was purchased at 5:30pm and at my door by 9:00am the next day. Seemed pretty expedited.


    On a side note... Just realized I spelled my user name wrong. Hmm... Glad the browser saved that one!
    Ang19027 likes this.
  23. #23  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Lack of Information

    I get the point of what the OP is saying BUT

    Why the heck would they let you, and their investors, in on inside information? If they are transparent, and say oh it is going to be a month, they risk losing pre-orders to those that do not want to wait AND to any competing phones that may be released. If they string you along, more people than not will stay with the original purchase out of hope and out of "this is my first choice".

    No doubt some people will cancel the preorders anyway, but it is a trickle compared to a possible onslaught. Just an example, it they lose 50% of pre-orders because of announcing the delay, they may only lose 30% by stringing you along. They save 20% of the orders this way.

    Sprint really cannot say anything because this is not their issue. they are just the distributor. here is the conversation

    S: Hey are we good with the EVO launch?
    HTC: um...well you know that lawsuit, customs won't let them in the country so they are stuck on the docks
    S: well that is bad, what are you doing about it?
    HTC: we are doing everything we can. Working with customs and we have our lawyers on it.
    S: Well how long?
    HTC: we just don't know at this point. We are working as fast as we can.
    S: ok you will let us know when everything is worked out right?
    HTC: yep, you will know as soon as we do.

    HTC owes you nothing except a phone that you paid for. THey couldnt hold up their end on time, but you have the freedom to bail out.

    This is the reality of it all. In a "hello kitty world" they would be totally up front and let us know everything. This is the business world and it makes better sense to say nothing
    Last edited by piizzadude; 05-19-2012 at 11:11 PM.
  24. #24  
    bwithey11's Avatar

    Posts
    18 Posts
    ROM
    CM7

    Default Re: Lack of Information

    Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    Why the heck would they let you, and their investors, in on inside information?
    The OP never said "I want a play by play of everything that happens" I feel it's more like a general outlook. If the phones are still being inspected, they should say so. They don't need to go into further detail, just give broad details that give the consumer (the people who are responsible for them making money) a bit of an answer if nothing else.

    Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    HTC owes you nothing except a phone that you paid for. THey couldnt hold up their end on time, but you have the freedom to bail out.

    This is the reality of it all. In a "hello kitty world" they would be totally up front and let us know everything. This is the business world and it makes better sense to say nothing
    You're right, HTC doesn't OWE pre order customers anything beyond the phone. But how do you think this affects the perception that consumers have of HTC? Especially those that are out $200 (or $550) with nothing to show for it and no idea of when they will get what they paid for? I don't care that you can cancel your preorder and get your money back. That's not the principle of the matter. If HTC wants to save face and show that they care about their customers, they would put out some information beyond "it's held up at customs." They can give date/time/location of court dates. That information is available to the public by law. They can say that the phones passed/didn't pass the inspection regarding the software (we know this bc the software was already brought up). So instead of being a negative Nancy, remove your hands from the keyboard and move on.
  25. #25  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Lack of Information

    Quote Originally Posted by bwithey11 View Post
    The OP never said "I want a play by play of everything that happens" I feel it's more like a general outlook. If the phones are still being inspected, they should say so. They don't need to go into further detail, just give broad details that give the consumer (the people who are responsible for them making money) a bit of an answer if nothing else.
    From the OP: Instead of allowing the general public and EVO fans to remain in the dark why not light up the room, be transparent about what steps and actions are being taken.

    Kinda sounds like a step by step doesn't it? Transparency would mean knowing everything...

    Quote Originally Posted by bwithey11 View Post
    You're right, HTC doesn't OWE pre order customers anything beyond the phone. But how do you think this affects the perception that consumers have of HTC? Especially those that are out $200 (or $550) with nothing to show for it and no idea of when they will get what they paid for? I don't care that you can cancel your preorder and get your money back. That's not the principle of the matter. If HTC wants to save face and show that they care about their customers, they would put out some information beyond "it's held up at customs." They can give date/time/location of court dates. That information is available to the public by law. They can say that the phones passed/didn't pass the inspection regarding the software (we know this bc the software was already brought up). So instead of being a negative Nancy, remove your hands from the keyboard and move on.
    You are basing this on one thing, the fact that HTC would want to care about what they are doing to the customer. Either way that this plays out, whether or not they tell all, this is not an issue that will break the company at all. It is almost irrelevant. Let me be generous and say they have 100K preorders and most of those preorders are techies and people that really research out what they want in a phone. Last year they sold 13.2 million phones, 100K is not that important and if you put it in terms of potential sales, it really isnt that important. Why? Because with what they have said up to this point they can push the blame all on Apple and on the courts (I do place the blame there BTW). Now if they do as you suggest and try to save face by putting out regular updates, they keep it in the news that HTC phones are stuck at the border. HTC has failed Customs inspection, HTC lost another court battle to Apple, HTC redesigning their software. It just isn't worth it for them to save face with 100K people and lose the potential sales.

    I am not being negative at all, just a realist. Businesses are based on taking a look at all the calculated risks. This calculated risk favors them not saying anything. I have an HTC phone, and with all that is going on here, it would not affect my decision to buy another.

    If I had preordered this phone, I would play the waiting game. I would keep my preorder until it is dead or until something better comes along. I havent lost anything...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B