HTC/Sprint Reputation and Sales

Delay a good thing? Or a disaster for the success of HTC/Sprint

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

abdnach

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Again, I blame the broken patent system. If the system wasn't broken, EVO 4G LTEs would be in consumers hands right now.

This "absolutely" starts with a flawed patent system.

I don't blame any of the companies. If the roles were reversed and HTC had a patent that Apple was found to be violating which eventually led to iPhones being stopped by customs because of a USITC ruling, the same people who blame Apple in the One X/EVO 4G LTE delay wouldn't be blaming HTC for an iPhone delay.

What if it was another Android OEM, like Samsung, instead of Apple? Would there be so much fanboyish backlash against Samsung if it won a ruling against HTC that led to this situation?

P.S. I love Android.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

While I agree with you that the patent system is flawed right now and desperately needs a make over, I do think that blame has to be put on Apple. Before the iPhone, companies borrowed from each other and life moved on. Apple came and started borrowing from other OSes and then went to court and litigated against the very same companies it borrowed from. I think Apple should be taking a large part of the blame for this reason.

Before you call me an android fanboy, understand that I am looking at the broader picture of the events that took place in the tech world. If you really look at Apple and their iPhone, after the original iPhone, Apple NEVER introduced anything that was truly new, everything they released was already available on previous OSes but due to their marketing, they made it seem like they were introducing new and revolutionary features. I personally own an Evo 3D (until customs gives me my Evo 4G LTE) and an Apple iPad 2 (was a gift... never actually bought it). Comparing both OSes and features, I still go back to my phone to do stuff over the iPad. Its just the way Android works. Apple is seeing this right now and decided to litigate rather than innovate which is the biggest problem.

In the end, no matter how these lawsuits end, it will be us, the consumers, who will suffer.

Counting the days until I get my Evo 4G LTE!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Thus why to blame apple.... Samsung wouldn't have done something so petty unless provoked first and neither would HTC...

Sent from an alternate universe where I'm using my new Evo LTE that isn't held in customs.

So if the roles were reversed and HTC blocked iPhones by using a patent that some would call ridiculous, would you cheer HTC or blame HTC?

Say Samsung went that way and did the same thing to HTC, a situation you saw as petty - even if it was within the bounds of the current system. Would you blame Samsung?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
While I agree with you that the patent system is flawed right now and desperately needs a make over, I do think that blame has to be put on Apple. Before the iPhone, companies borrowed from each other and life moved on. Apple came and started borrowing from other OSes and then went to court and litigated against the very same companies it borrowed from. I think Apple should be taking a large part of the blame for this reason.

Before you call me an android fanboy, understand that I am looking at the broader picture of the events that took place in the tech world. If you really look at Apple and their iPhone, after the original iPhone, Apple NEVER introduced anything that was truly new, everything they released was already available on previous OSes but due to their marketing, they made it seem like they were introducing new and revolutionary features. I personally own an Evo 3D (until customs gives me my Evo 4G LTE) and an Apple iPad 2 (was a gift... never actually bought it). Comparing both OSes and features, I still go back to my phone to do stuff over the iPad. Its just the way Android works. Apple is seeing this right now and decided to litigate rather than innovate which is the biggest problem.

In the end, no matter how these lawsuits end, it will be us, the consumers, who will suffer.

Counting the days until I get my Evo 4G LTE!

There was litigation in the smartphone space before Apple came along.

If this was Samsung, or Motorola, or LG I truly believe that people on this forum would be more upset with the system rather than other companies.

Last edited:

abdnach

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
There was litigation in the smartphone space before Apple came along.

There was litigation in the smartphone space to collect licensing fees from companies that were stealing real IP from other companies. Apple's IP patents cover stuff that were available before their iPhone and Apple is litigating to BAN AND STOP Android phones, not to obtain licensing fees from other companies.

I agree that if a company has IP patents it needs to go after companies to get fees but not go after companies to ban their products from countries and stop the sales of the company.

As I said earlier, the patent system is definitely broken and we, the consumers, will pay the price in the end. If things keep going like this, companies wouldn't have to try to impress the consumer because of the less competition that will be found in the industry.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree that if a company has IP patents it needs to go after companies to get fees but not go after companies to ban their products from countries and stop the sales of the company.

And if they don't want to pay, what's the next step?

abdnach

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
And if they don't want to pay, what's the next step?

That's where more forced action would be needed but Apple refuses to settle with Android companies because it wants to "annihilate" android through a "thermonuclear war" that was started by Steve and continues through till this day.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
That's where more forced action would be needed but Apple refuses to settle with Android companies because it wants to "annihilate" android through a "thermonuclear war" that was started by Steve and continues through till this day.

If it wasn't Apple, would you be as passionate?

abdnach

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
If it wasn't Apple, would you be as passionate?

Yes. I believe that any company trying to restrict sales, rather than collect money or out-innovate other companies would be considered at fault.

Best example, look at the car industry... no one patents rear view camera, seat belts, steering wheel controls, bluetooth audio streaming, etc. No company patents these ideas... they just try to innovate faster than other car companies. That is SMART business that benefits everyone, the companies involved and the consumers, because it requires companies to push barriers to innovate and get better technology.