LTE on by default?

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
My LTE was on by default.

Interesting decision on Sprints part.

I thought they were gonna leave it off until LTE is more widespread.

Robynsnest

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
good to know. I was just going to leave mine on. I'll cut it off now. I live in an area that won't get LTE till probably next year.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Phone settings, mobile networks (tap the globe), then change Network Mode to CDMA only.

I rebooted my phone, and LTE came back on. Maybe it doesn't stick on reboots?

nydis101

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I love the phone, but very dissapointed with the network, super slow!
Is changing the network supposed to make the phone a little bit faster?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
While having lte on will drain your battery faster, its nothing like wimax.

I did turn off lte early on and seen better battery life but nothing like cutting off wimax on the Ogevo. That was a true battery killer lol.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
90% of the time I'm on WiFi. I leave LTE on the default ON. I see no reason to turn LTE off when I get 16 to 18 hours of battery with heavy use.

Gladius Nova

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand how it seems to be a "split decision" on battery drainage with LTE on or off. I was getting the same crappy battery drain as my OG Evo until I figured out how to turn off LTE and only use CDMA. Now my battery lasts all day with heavy usage, whereas before it would drain in about 5-6 hours.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes your right. On the og evo wimax was a battery killer for sure and although i lived in Las Vegas (where wimax was strong) it totally killed my battery.

On our new evo lte the Lte network does not tax the battery nearly as much as wimax did. Even if you dont live in an lte area you'll still see minimal drains due to lte. But.....

Even if i get 5-10% more time during a charge cycle its well worth it to me to have it off. Instead of 20 hrs i maybe get 22hrs.

So in my experience i keep lte off and wifi and gps and 3g lol.

If you add a toggle to your screen where you can switch on 3g only when needed you will see the best battery gains possible for your phone ;)

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
LTE def kills your battery twice as fast

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

LTE may very well kill your battery twice as fast on your DROID RAZR but on my EVO 4G LTE there is essentially no difference in battery use with LTE turned on or off. Either way I get a full day of heavy use with battery to spare when I put it in the charger at bedtime.

Maybe it's because on the HTC EVO 4G LTE, the LTE radio is built in to the processor.

Negligible battery use is undoubtedly why they left LTE turned on by default.

kiwicarlos741

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Wait so does anyone know for certain if having LTE and cdma on, drains the battery faster than just vmda only, even if there is no LTE right now and isn't active?

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Gladius Nova

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Wait so does anyone know for certain if having LTE and cdma on, drains the battery faster than just vmda only, even if there is no LTE right now and isn't active?

For some it does, for some it doesn't ...seems to be hit and miss so IDK...

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Vysse

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Just want to say this was a smart move on Sprint's part. Those who know about this stuff can turn it off and those who don't will be happily surprised when lte is made available.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

I've had the EVO4GLTE since May 24. All I can tell you about is my own experience. I'm on battery close to 16 hours every day and I'm a heavy user. It would only seem logical that leaving LTE turned on would use more battery. Since LTE hasn't been turned on here in Atlanta, I've experimented with turning off LTE for the entire day and leaving it on. Either way I have yet to deplete my battery before putting it on the charger for the night. Based on my experience, I don't bother shutting LTE off.

Battery life with my EVO OG and EVO 3D was dismal. My EVO4GLTE battery life is amazing. Your Mileage May Vary.