Spraypaint the Glossy Back?

flugelboy

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I've been a lurker on here for a while now. I was an OG Evo user for the past 2 years and just got the 4g LTE in the mail yesterday so I figured I'd finally join up and start chatting a bit.

So it's no secret that a lot of us don't like the glossy fingerprint magnet on the back of the phone. And we all now know that it does indeed have antennas attached to it.

I like to keep my phone naked, no case, so screen protector, etc. With no 3rd party options available (yet) as a replacement top, would spray-painting it possibly cause an issue with the antenna reception? It would be a simple enough and cheap fix. I was thinking either a flat black or dark grey. There are also some textured spray paints that might look good too.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Do you really want to do something that permanent to your new device?

Why not a slim case? Or an adhesive product?

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Regular spray paint would tend to want to flake and chip. If you are going to do this use something like vinyl dye that is solvent based and will actually penetrate and bond with the plastic. You will find it at most auto parts stores as it is used in auto restoration to refresh the plastic bits in car interiors. Computer case modders also use it for plastic parts like changing the color of the front of a DVD drive to match the computer case, etc.

Antwonizzle

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I personally will most likely use a carbon fiber decal for the full backside... That gloss doesn't like fingerprints

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

donntiger

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I recently got a roll of duck tape from Walmart. Its red with black dragons on it.What do you thank? Cut out the shape and a hole for the camera and if it looks like crap,you just peel it off.Much better then painting it and then deciding that wasn't such a good ideal.Maybe I'll just get one of those case thingies,they seem to work.;)

flugelboy

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I actually didn't think about a decal of some kind. That does sound like a better option as long as it fits well. There's a lot of curves on that thing! So far that thing is getting more fingerprints than my screen. :eek:

Husker Z

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Plasti-Dip would be PERFECT for it, best thing about it is if you don't like it, just peel it off. Yet, it's super durable and won't chip (I plasti-dipped the emblem on the front of my 4Runner and there are zero chips). It would be a perfect matte finish!

Reactions: crzycrkr

JManekia

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Or you can always go this route

HTC EVO LTE 4G Black Carbon Fiber Back [HTC EVO LTE 4G Black Carbon Fiber Back] - $14.95 : Screen Protector | Screen Protectors | Shield | XO Skins

IMG_2995.jpg

Picture taken from XDA.

I'd do this but I am not a big fan of carbon fiber pattern. I wish they'd come out with a plain matte finish.

Bamm83

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
skinomi is making a full body skin (clear) that will take care of the finger prints. Think they aren't ready to ship yet, but go to their site and use promo code skinomi25 for 25% off. I ordered one a couple of weeks ago, but no ETA yet. Amazon is selling the same thing, but I don't they ship until mid June.

cr33p

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I work in a body shop, I could easily refinish the black with a matte black that should match the rest of the rear. I would like to have a replacement back on hand in case it didn't work out though!!!!

ImNoPrince

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree with just going with a Skin . Skin-It doesn't know how long brfore they will have a cut.

But I think PlasticDip spray would be fine. It's really easy to apply, Durable , easy to remove it you don't like it. I see spraying it being no difference then going with a Silicon case you shouldn't be an issue.

Also this should be easy to do with it off the Phone and just don't see any damage you could do unless it's some weird material that the PlasticDip eat at it or something lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair