Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Paladin
  • 1 Post By henderjr
  • 1 Post By WeGlobal
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Anyone using Handcent for SMS/MMS?

I used Handcent on my OG EVO and decided to move it over to my LTE. I just noticed that none of my contacts' pictures or even my own are showing up on the main screen, only silhouettes. Is anyone else having this issue?

Also, do you have to have the paid MyHandcent account to transfer over settings? I would use Titanium Backup, but I haven't rooted the LTE yet.

EDIT: Digging around I found the issue. Apparently if you have the contacts linked with Facebook and Google, it won't display the pictures. I remove either Facebook or Google and the pictures return. Sounds like a bug on the Handcent app where it can't handle more than 1 link. :\
    Last edited by BPHusker; 05-25-2012 at 10:24 AM.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Default Re: Anyone using Handcent for SMS/MMS?

Where in Handcent can you remove either Google or BB to get the pics back? thx

Global Posts
    404 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IRBanite View Post
    Where in Handcent can you remove either Google or BB to get the pics back? thx
    I think he means in Android system's "Accounts and Sync"...

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 10

After having the Evo View for a few months and not being able to use Handcent, I'm ecstatic to be able to use it again.

...Of course, after they finish porting my number over (which was supposed to be done last night.)

I have been rocking GO SMS for about 8-10 months LOVE it , even better than handcent IMO.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    124 Global Posts

I did some digging on this issue this morning as I couldn't get contact pictures to work for Go SMS or Handcent. I really want to use the default messaging app but I miss the notification popup and contact specific ringtones. Anyway the issue has to do with Facebook blocking 3rd party apps from using it's photos.

I found two fixes but both require root and I only tried one solution.

One solution is an app that used to be in the market but got pulled. The app is called Photo Unlocker. Google "com.noshufou.photounlocker". It was a free app on the market. Worked fine for me after I rooted.

I did find another solution on XDA that had people running .sh scripts. This also required root I believe. You can find that solution here, Fix For Broken Facebook Contact Pics In Google Voice ICS Leak Here. - xda-developers. I was going to try it but the app solution worked so well I didn't feel like taking the time.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by henderjr; 05-25-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Call me crazy but I actually think the stock messaging app on this phone is more than sufficient.

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by othersteve View Post
    Call me crazy but I actually think the stock messaging app on this phone is more than sufficient.
    3rd party apps have pop-up notifications and unique vibrate patterns. Also you can change the look of the 3rd party apps.

Quote Originally Posted by henderjr View Post
    I did some digging on this issue this morning as I couldn't get contact pictures to work for Go SMS or Handcent. I really want to use the default messaging app but I miss the notification popup and contact specific ringtones. Anyway the issue has to do with Facebook blocking 3rd party apps from using it's photos.

I found two fixes but both require root and I only tried one solution.

One solution is an app that used to be in the market but got pulled. The app is called Photo Unlocker. Google "com.noshufou.photounlocker". It was a free app on the market. Worked fine for me after I rooted.

I did find another solution on XDA that had people running .sh scripts. This also required root I believe. You can find that solution here, Fix For Broken Facebook Contact Pics In Google Voice ICS Leak Here. - xda-developers. I was going to try it but the app solution worked so well I didn't feel like taking the time.

Hope that helps.
    There's another solution I read about using an app, SyncMyPix. It actually fetches all of your Facebook profile photos and syncs them with your Google profile. Has anybody used this app yet?
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

Used handcent until I could no longer find it on the market, switched to chomp.

Same difference, had that issue on my photon, thanks for the suggestions

Sent using my MoPho-King photon

Global Posts
    124 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RG129 View Post
    There's another solution I read about using an app, SyncMyPix. It actually fetches all of your Facebook profile photos and syncs them with your Google profile. Has anybody used this app yet?
    I used it back in the early days of Cyanogen on my OG EVO when it wasn't able to sync FB pictures automatically and it didn't work very well. Contact pictures tended to get mixed up. Maybe it's better now.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Thanks to the suggestions. I will have to try that app if I root it this weekend.

So I'm having another issue with Handcent. When I get a text, the icon pops up in the notification bar, but unlike my OG EVO it does not show the text message. Any ideas? I toggled privacy mode on and off and it didn't make a difference.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts

I have the same issues with the message not showing in the notification bar.

To correct the picture issue I found that SyncMyPix didn't work, and I'm not rooted so the other options are out but what does work and is a pain to do is manually assigning contact pictures to everyone.

I agree. I always used gosms with my epic 4g and nexus s and liked it better than the stock Samsung messaging app, but I'm liking HTC's so far.

Global Posts
    546 Global Posts

Bubble conversations suck. Period.

I've used notify light along with the stock messaging app and that worked great on my photon whenever Handsent was glitching on me. ( missing contact pics at random, multiple repeat texts) haven't tried it yet on my Ltevo.

Sent from my wicked EVO ONE using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

ive always used handcent, but to get around the problem with no pics loading, i just turned the pics off. i dont care if theyre there or not. i just like the customization of handcent.

Handcent is the best SMS app bar none. It works exacly the same for me as it did on the original Evo. It gets the images of the people from my contacts which in turn gets them from my Google Contacts so no problems.

<Insert FB Rant>
    I frekin HATE FB and am sick and tired of this trend to attach every damn thing to it!
    More and more web sites are now using your FB to log onto their site. STOP THE MADNESS!!!! Just let me keep my damn account as it is! I stopped using sites that do this.
    </End Rant>
    Systems Analyst by trade, drummer by desire and music lover by birth.
    A self proclaimed geek and gadget nut. ii <--Drum sticks
    Thanked by:
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

Chomp is basically the same thing.... But to each their own

Quote Originally Posted by tirith View Post
    Chomp is basically the same thing.... But to each their own

I have not tried that one. I may have to. I am always open minded to use new apps. I am never married to only one. I like to fool around. ii
    I do love the metal skin on top of handcent though. It looks cool!
    Systems Analyst by trade, drummer by desire and music lover by birth.
    A self proclaimed geek and gadget nut. ii <--Drum sticks
    Rose4uKY likes this.

Global Posts
    124 Global Posts

GO SMS Pro is another good one. I bounce between it and Handcent
    mstrblueskys likes this.

I used GoSMS on my OG EVO. Now I'm using Handcent on my new EVO because I've gotten complaints in the past that whenever I send someone a MMS, they only saw a link that they had to select.

I want to send someone the full MMS, not a link to the MMS. So that's why I changed to Handcent.

Officially sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE using Android Forums.
    Kath Diane likes this.

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

i used handcent on my og evo and i wanted to use it on my new evo, but for some odd reason the time my texts were received and on the main app screen, the most recent text sent or received for the thread is wrong. anyone else experience this?

I figured it out... After reinstalling handcent.... Too bad I have to reconfigure handcent.

In handcent go to settings...application settings......default messaging application..... Then pick at the bottom "use for all SMS & mms"
    Now it works!

I'm curious to know if it would have worked without reinstalling.... Seems like I remember that setting was on "disable" not sure how it got set to that!

Global Posts
    661 Global Posts
    ROM
    MeanROM

Quote Originally Posted by MrJackson View Post
    I used GoSMS on my OG EVO. Now I'm using Handcent on my new EVO because I've gotten complaints in the past that whenever I send someone a MMS, they only saw a link that they had to select.

I want to send someone the full MMS, not a link to the MMS. So that's why I changed to Handcent.

Officially sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE using Android Forums.
    If you were sending someone the link with GO it was becuase you were sending them GO hosted MMS, not an actual MMS. You can do either. I use GO as my only messaging app now. It does everything I need my messaging app to do.

I've used Go SMS but I wasn't happy with it.. Handcent is always free.. however they do offer a premium with no ads. I can send MMS, SMS etc and they all work perfectly and go directly to the person with no links. I like seeing when they arrive and when they are read. I'm one of those who likes customizing the look of everything, so Handcent is the perfect choice for me.