HTC EVO 4G LTE First Impressions/Reviews

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Every amazing thing said in this thread are so true. Screen and speed! The phone is very near perfect. The shinny cover makes the phone "pop" and not make it look like every other phone out there.

There are just a couple negatives that I am sure I will get used to. No menu and no search buttons.

LTE would make this phone unstoppable! I am so jealous of the markets that will have it soon that I almost want to move.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Is it me or are the Icons extremely Small . I've tried every setting (and found nothing lol ) but they are just small conpaired to my OG evo.

Every thing is smaller when viewed from a higher resolution. This was most noticeable for me when I went from the OG EVO to the E3D. Not much change going from the E3D to the E4GLTE. Guess it's a first for you though, which is probably why it stands out to you.

Sent from my E4GLTE geniuses phone!

541rrhse

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: First Impressions?

Every amazing thing said in this thread are so true. Screen and speed! The phone is very near perfect. The shinny cover makes the phone "pop" and not make it look like every other phone out there.

There are just a couple negatives that I am sure I will get used to. No menu and no search buttons.

LTE would make this phone unstoppable! I am so jealous of the markets that will have it soon that I almost want to move.

Completely agree here, when asked what new phone did I get today I stated "The new EVO". I was bothered slightly by the search button gone however I replaced it by adding google search onto the lower right of the home screen task bar. Also, by having the "Google Apps" shortcut widget allows a single step to access many apps quicker.

I noticed Telenav was not preloaded but is available free from Google Play, I mostly use Google Nav anyway. I'm strongly considering a Car Dock for this.

I know this is first day of ownership, well partial day anyway, but as with any new phone it's been filled with heavy use testing it out etc. Since full charge out of the box, I've been using it heavily on full brightness, LTE off, mostly WiFi with web browsing youtube/tuneinradio for the last 6+ hours. The battery is currently @ 60%.

So far I personally haven't experienced any deal breakers. Sprint 3G data seems to perform better on this over my original EVO, LTE data will significantly improve the experience on this device. I'm happy with it today, should be even happier when LTE goes active.

Last edited:

Phoenix Rev

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

I am thrilled.

I got my EVO 4G LTE shortly after 7 PM this evening at Best Buy. Got home, put the charger on, waited 30 minutes, and then did the activation.

For the past four hours, I have been enjoying this phone much more than I thought I would.

The highlights:

The screen is absolutely gorgeous. Stunningly gorgeous, in fact. Just wonderful.

The phone is fast. Even after I filled it with apps, the thing was quick. It is also very sensitive on the screens, which I like.

The wi-fi is very fast. Much faster than my OG EVO. Great speeds.

Phone sound quality while making calls is excellent. No problems, and my friends whom I called said I was clear with a good volume.

The lowlights:

The shiny back is a horrible fingerprint magnet. So looking forward to a replacement or a cover.

Lots of changes in Sense and I am having a hard learning curve trying to figure out where everything is.

That's about it.

I need a few more days to get it all worked out, but I am completely impressed.

And, I will say, for the record, the extra 6-day wait was well worth it.

A fantastic phone.

witnercoat

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

No complaints about the phone, but the "menu" feature in ICS is a joke. They take away as much screen real estate in some apps to add a menu bar as you gain by having the bigger screen. The dedicated button would be nice to have again.

Reactions: kfr1334

jdizzle316

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
First off....Absolutely love the phone!

The speed of the phone doesn't blow me away. I had the gs2 for a short stint and I'd say processing speed is comparable. Switching from screens isn't blazing fast as I had expected. Even my Nexus a was almost as fast while navigating the phone. I'm not disappointed by any means, it just didn't amaze me in moving around in the device. However the fluidity of the movement is super smooth, nice transitions despite my expectations for speed. I'm sure without a doubt the developers will tweak to near perfection. we just gotta be patient and appreciative of their great work.

Camera, Awesome!

Screen, Beautiful, so clear and natural colors.

Form factor, nice and sleek, much better than I originally thought prior to release.

Battery life, from my short time with the new Evo, send to be very good, but only time will tell the truth.

Final verdict....best phone I've owned. Its the complete package.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Edit: As i spend more time with the camera, im actually disappointed, especially with all the sites giving GREAT reviews of the quality of the camera shots. The clarity of the pictures isn't even as good as my Nexus S let alone the SGS2. The sad part is that the camera is what convinced me to get the EVO LTE. But so far, this is one of my only gripes about the device.

Last edited:

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
+1 to every great thing that's been said so far. I'm coming from an Optimus S that was running an alpha CM9 port. So I'm going to give stock Sense a fair shake for a few days before I pass judgment on the OS. The only thing I've changed is the keyboard - I'm just so used to swiftkey.
The elephant in the room - multitasking. So far it's only been an issue with games. If I'm playing a game and get a text, answer the text and come back to the game through recent apps, the game reloads and I've lost my current progress. That may not happen with every game and there may be some adjustments that need to be made on my part with how I use the phone. This is the only nit I can pick so far, and it's definitely not the deal breaker some would have you believe that it is.

Sent from my E4GLTE using Android Central Forums

castingon

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

Waking up to 99% battery after 8+ hours idle is a win. Otherwise so far so good. Only complaint is the dedicated battery button not working all the time and I'm not sure if that's a phone or case issue.

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site

Didn't get to start the activation process until 9pm last night, so haven't had many waking hours to play around. But everything I've seen so far screams "badass" - screen, speed, battery life, slimness, camera. Haven't been off WiFi yet, but I'd have to imagine 3G performance will be as good or better than my EVO3D.

All the iPhone huggers in my office are gonna be drooling today...

Melaza

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Very Nice! ... Haven't had a chance to play with it that much, but today just started ;)

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

bdunn13

May 15, 2012
Visit site

Love to phone. Screen is gorgeous.

Only complaint so far is I wish the USB port was on the top or the other side. I don't like the fact I can't charge and use the stand at the same time.

anon(603471)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Got mine yesterday afternoon. I have hardly set it down.
- Like everyone has been saying, the screen and camera are excellent.
- Call quality was much better than my old Evo.
- The phone speaker is much clearer and easier to hear without simply being louder.
- My wifi downloads are faster than my Transformer TF300.
- I went for a walk with my dog and enabled gps tracking with endomondo (pro) and streamed music from Google music with no lag despite the fact that speed tests on 3g were showing under 100kb/s.
- The haptic feedback is much smoother than it was on my old Evo. It doesn't feel like an N64 rumble pack.
- The only thing that has bothered me so far is a few visual things with Sense4 that it won't let me customize. There is a lot of wasted space, so I may end up moving to a new launcher, but it's been less than 24 hours so we'll have to wait and see.

Overall, I love it and can't wait to waste my long weekend playing with it.

anon(603471)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Love to phone. Screen is gorgeous.

Only complaint so far is I wish the USB port was on the top or the other side. I don't like the fact I can't charge and use the stand at the same time.

It's spring loaded so you can flip it. As long as your power cord isn't hanging weird.

Brodequin

May 17, 2010
Visit site

If you get a text or email while charging, does the notification light flash or stay solid like on the original EVO? If its still solid, any suggestions on apps from the market as a work around?

quejay19

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

Got mine yesterday evening UPS. I work nights so I didn't have time to wake up and really play with it then. I will chime in like everyone else about the screen on this phone. Simply amazing. I thought that many of the reviewers online were being hyperbolic talking about about it but there is really no way to convey how crisp and colorful this screen is. The build quality of this phone also is excellent. Light but still feels premium built with premium materials. The dreaded plastic back does not detract from the look of the phone IMHO and makes it stand out. Given that there is a practical reason for it (better reception), I was already gonna give it a pass. Also, given that I have had phones where the ENTIRE phone(screen and body) was a fingerprint magnet, this small part doesn't really bother me. Can you say, Microfiber cloth!? Ha! Unbelievably thin for it's size. It just feels great in the hand. I see how Apple could be afraid of this phone. They are gonna have to ACTUALLY up their game in response to this one. The rhetoric used against the OG Evo won't do this time around. I hope you are all enjoying it as much as me!

my74034

May 17, 2010
Visit site

My First impression is that it is a nice phone, but I think it was over hyped. My expectations may have been a little high by all of the hype. One thing I don't like so far, is the profile pictures for contacts are very distorted. I hope that is just a setting that i haven't figured out yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781