HTC EVO 4G LTE First Impressions/Reviews

koxler

May 15, 2010
Visit site
2 - Cannot synch music in itunes, only songs in my "music folder"? Will try using doubletwist.

DoubleTwist works great. Very similar to iTunes. You'll like it.

4 - Is there a way to permanently have the images open in emails, or do I have to hit "open images" each and every email?

I don't think so but it should remember if you select "Always show". That way the next time you get email from that sender it should automatically show the pictures.

6 - Is there a way to type in from a computer contact info that is not in outlook?

Sure, add it to your google contacts and they will sync.

It seems that if you use gmail and other google things, ICS is great, but its really not so easy for other email providers, etc For instance I dont see why they make a difference between getting a gmail email or another provider email, its all the same to me (and I do not get many gmails) Then every address gets a bing when it updates. On the ipod one ding is good enough for any or all accounts.

I suggest that you add your gmail account to the email app. This way they will all be in the same app and you'll get a single notification. I did this for a while till I switched to gmail from those other emails and it worked great for me. You'll need to tell it to stop syncing gmail if you do it this way in the Accounts & Sync settings.

While they say that with Android you have a lot of choices, so far I do not see them. Like its a big deal that you can have 4 icons on the first screen. The iphone/ipod has 16, but you do not have the lovely clock.

I got this big phone, as I do like the bigger keyboard for typing and like swype. But I have spent quite some time on trying to synch and it has not worked at all. The people in the store and when calling support are either not familiar with this new phone(as they have not seen it), or tell me that most of these things cannot be done.
While it may be great for tech-savvy people can do all sorts of things, most of us want everything easy, accessible and elegant. Thanks for your help

You can remove the big clock widget. Put 16 icons on your home screen if that is what you really like. Choice is about flexibility. With apple there is their way or no way. They have one device with its single form factor. With Android you get all kinds of devises with different screen sizes. You can also customize your home screen with widgets and icons to suit your tastes. Keep playing and as others have said you might find you like it. If not, take it back and get a iPhone.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed that my music player fails when I plug in a car charger. I think that the G1 believes that it's a USB cable and since the G1 can only either act as a drive or access the card itself (not both at the same time), I can't listen to music.

Anybody else ever run into this?

+1 best android I've had so far and loving the larger screen,ICS,HD video&camera, beats audio, dual core processor.
:);):D:thumbup:
sent from my Evo4LTE

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Wow. EVO was a champ today under very heavy use during work travel. Tons of calls, txt, emails, documents, maps and barely any impact on battery life all over 3g. Awesome!

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Just pulled the trigger today on the EVO. I know I could get the S3, but honestly I don't see either choice being wrong. So far, I'm very impressed with the design, feel, and screen.

My only letdown (which is a big one) is the frame rate when recording video. It seems that the behavior I observed on my EVO3D has appeared again. When recording and the lighting changes, it looks as if though via spot metering, the exposure is adjusted dynamically and video recording is not smooth as a result. I remember the S2 did not do this when I was using the camcorder feature on it. What could be causing this?

celticking

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I was really excited for the new EVO. I was coming from the ancient HTC Touch pro 2 running Windows 6.5 and at this point, anything would have done. Almost picked up the Nexus a few weeks ago but decided to wait. I figured if I am going to have this phone for 2 years, might as well get the best phone out there.

Overall, I really like the phone. It's massive. About as big as they can het in my opinion. The screen is massive and beautiful at that. It really looks like it's right on the glass as others have mentioned.

Beats audio is surprisingly very good. Listened to some Pandora earlier and music I've heard hundreds of times sounded different - Crisp, as it was meant to be. I was able to heard faint instruments, never noticed before, quite clearly.

Hardware wise, I am impressed. I am coming from the old touch pro so anything that worked fluidly would have been fine. GPS is very fast and accurate. No noticeable lag in the menus or apps. The camera is nice software wise. Hardware wise, the jury is still out. Some pics are quite blurry and I am not sure if it is simply my poor usage or if the hype around it is just that - hype.

Overall, very impressed hardware and software wise. Definite contender against the Galaxy 3.

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Wow. EVO was a champ today under very heavy use during work travel. Tons of calls, txt, emails, documents, maps and barely any impact on battery life all over 3g. Awesome!

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Edit: also, I'm amazed at how after a heavy use day like that, overnight it drained only about 2% off the battery. That is so great. I didn't charge it just to see what it would be at in the morning and it could easily go most of today if needed. Loving this phone for work travel.

Sent via EVO LTE

keld

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Overall I really like the phone, after 2 weeks of use, I have a few complains though:

1. The speaker when in speaker mode is pretty bad
  2. The phone doesn't ring very loud, I miss lots of calls
  3. The vibrate mode is very weak, can't feel it in my pocket or when I put it on my desk it barely makes any vibration. My old Evo was cool I could put headphones on really loud but it would vibrate hard enough so that I cold feel the surface on my desk vibrating.
  4. I was excited about the multitask button where you can see all the recently opened app and slide through them like the windows alt+tab, only to realize that it's only a screen shot that you see and when you click on it it reloads the web page or app. Kinda lame if you ask me.
  5. The physical shutter button, I wish half press would auto focus and I haven't found a way to give it a delay for the burst mode, while trying taking a single photo I end up with 2 or 3.
  6. I like how thin the phone is, but since it is big, it make it not very comfortable to hold in the hand (at least for me, I have big hands).
  7. The black shiny plastic on the back of the phone, the part you can remove, not a fan, looks like cheap hard plastic.
  8. The finishing of the phone is really far away from Apple quality, if you look closely around your phone, the different elements are not always perfectly aligned, the opening on the site for the usb cable, the port is not perfectly centered.
  9. I don't like that cable goes on the side of the phone, it makes it very impractical with car chargers, on the nightstand next to my bed, the cable comes from the other side so the phone is not staying parallel to the edge of the table.

Now what I like:

• The big screen
  • How flat the phone is
  • The battery life, far above expectations
  • ICS
  • The camera effects you can apply before and after taking a picture
  • Camera quality is pretty good I think
  • Sound quality with headphones, although Beats is probably a gimmick
  • No more running out of memory!

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Overall I really like the phone, after 2 weeks of use, I have a few complains though:

1. The speaker when in speaker mode is pretty bad
  2. The phone doesn't ring very loud, I miss lots of calls
  3. The vibrate mode is very weak, can't feel it in my pocket or when I put it on my desk it barely makes any vibration. My old Evo was cool I could put headphones on really loud but it would vibrate hard enough so that I cold feel the surface on my desk vibrating.
  4. I was excited about the multitask button where you can see all the recently opened app and slide through them like the windows alt+tab, only to realize that it's only a screen shot that you see and when you click on it it reloads the web page or app. Kinda lame if you ask me.
  5. The physical shutter button, I wish half press would auto focus and I haven't found a way to give it a delay for the burst mode, while trying taking a single photo I end up with 2 or 3.
  6. I like how thin the phone is, but since it is big, it make it not very comfortable to hold in the hand (at least for me, I have big hands).
  7. The black shiny plastic on the back of the phone, the part you can remove, not a fan, looks like cheap hard plastic.
  8. The finishing of the phone is really far away from Apple quality, if you look closely around your phone, the different elements are not always perfectly aligned, the opening on the site for the usb cable, the port is not perfectly centered.
  9. I don't like that cable goes on the side of the phone, it makes it very impractical with car chargers, on the nightstand next to my bed, the cable comes from the other side so the phone is not staying parallel to the edge of the table.

Now what I like:

• The big screen
  • How flat the phone is
  • The battery life, far above expectations
  • ICS
  • The camera effects you can apply before and after taking a picture
  • Camera quality is pretty good I think
  • Sound quality with headphones, although Beats is probably a gimmick
  • No more running out of memory!

These are all good points that you make and I agree. I've been so shocked at the great battery life under heavy use and the speed of it that these issues are fairly minor for me. But you do make good points that could make it slightly better.
One annoying thing is that the keyboard always puts in "AMD" when I try to type and. That one I correct all the time. Including in this post!
The big menu key at the bottom is pretty stupid too in apps such as the Android Central forums app.
Overall, still loving it. I need to use the camera more.

Sent via EVO LTE

jasonp1970

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
The phone is awesome, but there are two annoying things they changed from the original.EVO.and the EVO 3D. First I hate the fact that they switched the answer and decline buttons when a call is coming in. I can't tell you how many times I hung up on an incoming call. Something I will get used too. The other thing is picky, I know but the stock keyboard spacebar is shorter and the period is right where I used to press the spacebar on my 3D. So half of what I type has per.io.ds in between the letters. Other than that I love the phone.....

Ledward1245

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Well, I have had my EVO LTE for a week now. I was first on the fence about upgrading to another dual core phone but I'm happy to report that it has been worth it. Every one of my co workers has just loved the screen and love it even more when I use it for taking pictures. The camera has so many options, yet I have not heard anyone use or explain them. For example the ability to take slow motion videos or low light pictures.

I loved how the new sense has changed, its different but smart and it takes a little bit to learn. Beats audio is not a gimmick, it really does make a difference especially with the beats earbuds. One of my favorite things about it is the no search button at the bottom. I like the space between them because it makes easier to hold the phone without accidentally pressing one of them while holding it in your hand.

The few times I have talked on the phone the calls have been clear. To me way better then Evo 3D.

The one issue that I hope gets resolved is the bluetooth problem. It can not stay connected to my car, its just disconnects after a few minutes. I have also read that other people are having the same issue so hopefully its resolved soon.

One of my favorite things about the EVO is the screen, for some reason it stays with out having to much fingerprints. Sometimes it looks like I just clean it, when I really haven't wiped the screen at all.

Also good to see the up, down, left and right arrows are back. Atleast when the phone is on landscape. I prefer that over touching the screen to where one would like to edit text.

So over all I'm happy to own my third Evo, worth the upgrade

Last edited:

BUNK

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm on my third EVO also. This phone is awesome. It's fast and the screen is amazing. Battery life is great but I'm afraid about not being able to have a backup battery.

I upgraded primarily because of what I heard about the camera. On this issue I am disappointed. Almost all flash photos I've taken are not sharp. Outdoor shots in good lighting are excellent but that has been true with almost all the phones I have had over the years. :D

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Wish they had kept the menu key. The wasted screen space is ridiculous for such a nice large screen, like on the Android Central forums app, for example.

Still a great phone. Battery is awesome.

Sent via EVO LTE

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
The one issue that I hope gets resolved is the bluetooth problem. It can not stay connected to my car, its just disconnects after a few minutes. I have also read that other people are having the same issue so hopefully its resolved soon.

What kind of car, is it a Ford with SYNC ?

dwb3838

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so after a full day with this phone, all I can say is that I'm in love all over again! HTC has delivered the goods in a big way with this phone. There are a few misses, but everything else is a home run!

- The screen is second to none. Every single person that has seen this screen can only seem to muster up one word, "WOW!" Even outdoors this thing is awesome! The best screen on any device to date! I heard in one of the many reviews that the screen is Gorilla Glass 2! I haven't looked into this yet to see what Gorilla Glass 2 is, but I can say that I have noticed a serious decrease in the amount of finger smudges compared to what I have seen with all my other phones. I'm not sure if that is one one of the features offered by GG2, but it is noticeable!

- Data speeds seem to be the same for me despite more bars being displayed. Can't say that the speeds are worse as they were typically pretty crappy before. Wifi is the way to go with this beauty. Everything sings when on wifi! Can't wait to try out LTE when it's available.

- Kick stand is awesome. Going from the EVO 4G to the EVO 3D I was pissed to not have a kick stand. The EVO 4G LTE has brought kick stand back in a big way. I can use it in almost every possible orientation! It is a bit difficult to dig out, but I'll take that for the functionality that it provides!

- SD Card access was a bit odd. Using a file browser, the folder marked as sdcard was not my SD card! I had to enable extra features in my file browser to allow me to go up one level from /sdcard to /. Once at / I was able to access my sdcard via a folder titled sdcard2! Very strange. Not sure why HTC implemented things this way. Why have a folder called sdcard that isn't my SD card? Not sure....

- The camera is nothing sort of amazing for a cell phone camera. It isn't quite a replacement for my digital camera, but it has some amazing features that my digital camera does not! We all know about the rapid shot feature and the ability to capture still pics from video feeds. However, in accessing old videos (taken from my EVO 3D) from my SD card, I was able to capture still pics form those as well! Fantastic functionality! I used the camera extensively today at my son's soccer tryouts and the rapid shot feature is just amazing! I must have taken over 100 pics today! My only complaint is that there needs to be a back light feature. If there is a bright horizon in the background then the area you are focusing on tends to go really dark! You have to lower the camera to try to force out as much of the background light as possible to get the picture to brighten back up. This has always been an issue with cell cameras, but I was hoping that this camera would be different. Still amazing despite this continuing issue.

- The multitasking issue is a bit of an annoyance for me. I am accustomed to switching between at least 4-5 different apps at a time. In one case I was reading an AC forum thread via the AC Forum app and switched over to respond to a txt message. When I returned to the AC Forum app, it refreshed and was no longer focused on the post I was reading (you Android Central guys should be pissed about this!). I think this needs to be fixed ASAP by HTC. If you hit up XDA you can see that this is something that devs are currently working hard on fixing (Go Devs)! I have sent a tweet to @htc voicing my hopes for a fix and hope that others will also let HTC know how they feel about this. One voice in the dark is not nearly as loud as several hundred!

- The build quality is exceptional, second to none! I was 50/50 on the backing of this phone but when I saw it come out of the box my jaw hit the floor. This thing is damn sexy (and it knows it, LMFAO)! It is much thinner that I am use to and I do find it hard to hold when I am trying to power type out a message or email. However, I am not about to wrap this thing up in a case and keep the rest of the world from seeing my new baby! Every single person that has seen or held my phone has had the same reaction that I had when I first saw it! There is no getting around the beauty of this design when you see it in person!

- Battery life is still rather unknown for me. While today was my first full day with the phone, I did have it connected to a charger at various times throughout the day. I didn't use it much in the morning hours, as I was very busy at work, but used it heavily in the afternoon. I think tomorrow (Saturday) will be a better gauge of how well this phone gets through the day without being charged randomly. I do feel, though, that this phone may have a tough time getting through a medium to heavy usage day without needing to be put on a charger before bed time. We will see how things go tomorrow and I will try to keep in unplugged all day just to see how it does.

Update:
Battery stats after a full days of moderate to heavy use...
Click to view quoted image

- The only bluetooth device I have connected so far is my Sony SmartWatch, and it works perfectly. I had to enable an advanced feature in the bluetooth settings to get it to work, but it works flawlessly! I will try a few of my headsets tomorrow to see how they work as well.

- I haven't really tested out the speaker or music playback just yet. I did try to use the speaker for various things throughout the day and it seemed ok in some things and a bit poor in others. I will have to use it more to narrow down the specifics, but I can't say that it's better than the EVO 4G just yet. However, it does seem to be better that the EVO 3D for sure (that one was the worst I have ever seen).

There is a backlight feature its the hdr button it cuts out backlight and focuses on the main subject .

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Purchased this phone 2 days ago after my Beloved Evo 4G died on me. The screen is massive and beautiful, I like the whole slick look of the phone and it actually doesn't feel to bad in your hands.

Now I was home using this phone over wifi which by the way works excellently lighting fast speed downloaded and uploading. The camera takes some really stunning photos so I am very impressed with that.

Now for the bad...Who's dumb idea was it to put the charging port on the side? How inconvenient and awkward this is! Not to mention the lack of the LTE and the Crappy 3g service My phone won't send emails can't upload pictures keep getting all kinds of data errors! SMH..On wifi this phone is bad a** on 3g it just sucks! Might have to go back to my old Evo!