HTC EVO 4G LTE First Impressions/Reviews

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Now for the bad...Who's dumb idea was it to put the charging port on the side? How inconvenient and awkward this is! Not to mention the lack of the LTE and the Crappy 3g service My phone won't send emails can't upload pictures keep getting all kinds of data errors! SMH..On wifi this phone is bad a** on 3g it just sucks! Might have to go back to my old Evo!

Charging port: At first, I thought that was dumb too. But then I realized if it was on the bottom, you could not use the kickstand in portrait mode and charge at the same time. With it on the side, you can still use the kickstand in either landscape or portrait while charging.

Crappy 3G: Yeah, that's a step down if you were getting WiMax on your old EVO. All I can say is hold out for LTE and become acquainted with any local WiFi signals you can find. It was a wash for me because I went from crappy 3G to slightly less crappy 3G when I upgraded.

Reactions: sasha

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
"The lone economic bright spot is the iPhone, which is selling like crazy thanks to the release of a new model enhanced with the capability of sucking pieces of your brain out through your ear until all you want to do is play with your iPhone." -Dave Barry's Year in Review: Bailing out of 2008

Considering Wimax on my old EVO 4G lasted about 10 mins on battery, what was the point? I'll take a day and a half with the EVO LTE with heavy use anytime. Lovin it.

Sent via EVO LTE

cuffs50

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Picked up my EVO LTE about a 3 week's ago now. All in all its leaps and bounds above my og EVO. From the moment it came out of the box in the sprint store it was directly placed into the otterbox defender (blue version which looks pretty good). I hated to do it because I love the look of the phone and I know it takes away a bit of the sharpness of the amazing screen but alas I'd rather make those small sacrifices than pay for a new phone which would surely be the case as it saved my og EVO more times than I can count.

LOVE the camera! Not every pic is crystal clear but most are very good quality (remember it is a cell phone camera) even though it was quite hyped. But I love being able to snap shots at a moments notice and taking snapshots from previously recorded video is amazing.

Sense is fine in my opinion however I thought I remembered seeing that the widgets could be resized on the screen which I haven't been able to figure out so far. I like the feature of being able to swap around the screens when you zoom out and view them all simultaneously.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY miss my google search button. I mean the multitasking button is nice and all but I wish it had the ability to kill the apps that you swipe off the screen.

I'm hoping and praying that I actually get LTE service One day as it never happened with my og EVO for WiMAX. Luckily I get pretty good 3g signals however I have noticed that in some places I can go from full bars and 3g to absolutely no service whatsoever. Has really annoyed me a couple times but usually doesn't last long.

Another cool thing I noticed is that I don't have to enable the background processes to download and update apps from the store. It was always a step that annoyed me on the og.

This kickstand is also a vast improvement from the og. That thing couldn't fight its way outta a wet paper bag a the new one went all chuck Norris on its a**.

Battery life has been phenominal so far for me at least. Lasts 10-12 hours of moderate use which for me is YouTube, gaming and web browsing. The og EVO doesn't hold a candle to the battery life this thing has. I'm sure it will shorten with the LTE usage but hopefully not too drastically. Although I do wish that the battery was accessible because its a very real possibility that it could go bad at some point. I actually did my own screen replacement on the og so I'm fairly confident I could replace it if needed but don't want to break my phone down that far if its not necessary.

Oh yeah and like many others said that menu button SUCKS. hit it all the time when I'm playing games.

Hmm that's about all I can think of for now. It's got it. Quirks but I love it and its mine.

Last edited:

fasteddie1215

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
just got my evo today. loving it so far. had the og and the 3D. made a bad decision and get the galaxy s2 trying to give samsung a shot lol. well back to htc. going to flash it over to page plus tomorrow. contracts are wack. too much tech out here to get taken advantage of for 2 yrs a time lol. def miss 4 buttons but i'm getting used to it. not to mention THE CAMERA!!! can't believe how crystal clear/fast it is. i'm def going to love it more tomorrow once i have mobile network up and running but so far im loving it.

taniabonita52

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone :)

So I just got my EVO in the mail today. I have to say... I'm in love. My one issue is the loss of the search button. I really miss it. But other than that, I'm really happy...especially with the battery life and the crispness of the screen. The camera is great too. I will write a more extensive review after a few days, but so far, so good. I'm a happy camper, as they say lol. I hope everyone is as happy as me! :)

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

JN5586

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
The screen has a weird feel to it, sense is terrible and dark colors aren't represented well at all. It's a nice phone but not what I would consider a hardcore android device. In terms of UI and hardware design it doesn't matchup to the s2. With the s2 everything was positioned perfectly making it easy to use with one hand. No dedicated settings or search button sucks. Also headphones produce a lot of static feedback. I want to give it a little bit more time but most likely I'm exchanging for the s3.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
The screen has a weird feel to it, sense is terrible and dark colors aren't represented well at all. It's a nice phone but not what I would consider a hardcore android device. In terms of UI and hardware design it doesn't matchup to the s2. With the s2 everything was positioned perfectly making it easy to use with one hand. No dedicated settings or search button sucks. Also headphones produce a lot of static feedback. I want to give it a little bit more time but most likely I'm exchanging for the s3.

If your saying this on the Evo4GLTE I honestly believe it's your vision that is faulty. Every review when it come to display comparison with the S3 the Evo4GLTE wins hands down. I played with the S 3 and it demonstrably performs in most all comparisons. Just sayin...:beer::D

Last edited:

JN5586

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
That may have been a little drastic on my part, it is a great display. I'll say its better overall but there are a couple areas where the s3 even s2 beats it. But again overall ill take LCD over sa. I just need to find out what's wrong with my audio and ill be happy. I'll probably eventually take sense off though.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
That may have been a little drastic on my part, it is a great display. I'll say its better overall but there are a couple areas where the s3 even s2 beats it. But again overall ill take LCD over sa. I just need to find out what's wrong with my audio and ill be happy. I'll probably eventually take sense off though.

I also felt like I was playing with 50? gumball machine prize, while handling the SGS3. It's all plastic exterior and light weight feel made it seem way to delicate for an android phone. Just sayin...:beer::D

JN5586

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Just when it was starting to grow on me, more issues pop up. Buffering youtube videos seems to be hit or miss now. No matter the video it's stopping every few seconds to buffer. Ran my s2 side by side and it plays the same videos flawless. Also found out that the headphone feedback is due to so much of the connector being exposed. I can place my finger over the exposed area and the static stops, remove my finger and it instantly starts again. Not sure if Imma keep this phone.

Takes me back to the old htc g1 days where everyday was a new bug lol.

cuffs50

May 9, 2012
Visit site
After having the phone for a couple months now overall I'm pretty happy. If SPRINT could just fix their network issues it would be a beast. I watch a lot of YouTube, netflix etc and most of the time its just not possible. Praying the next OTA fixes alot. I haven't experienced any headphone or a lot of other problems described by users so I guess maybe I should consider myself lucky. I really feel that sprint should nix charging for premium data until they can get their issues worked out. Just doesn't seem fair.

Lonestaroc

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
This phone is beautiful but I'm having wifi issues. Poor reception. My old evo worked fine in my room but now I'm lucky if I can even use the phone on wifi if I'm in my room..any wifi or 3g radio issues I should know about..I would hate to Getty an s3 b c of a stupid issue like this

cuffs50

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately I have radio issues all the time. WiFi has been fine though. I will go from having a full signal and 3g to absolutely nothing in the exact same spot. Makes me wanna throw it sometimes but then I remember I gotta pay a deductible :mad:

psybr1

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Go for stereo bluetooth my backbeat from plantronics works great with my evo and I've used it with all of the evo versions I've had

chadmano

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine for a couple weeks. I bought it then 2 days later went on a weeklong vacation to Colorado. I bought the sprint cradle for my car, and navigation worked ok, had to restart the phone a few times. Granted I was driving Through the middle of Nebraska at the time. I used wifi at home so I never noticed how bad the data was at home. In Denver I had no data service in virtually any building I went in. In the mountains it was basically only good as a camera. when I got home and went to work I tried listening to streaming radio, and had no data signal, my old HTC desire on U.S, cellular had no problems there. Or at the grocery store, home, girlfreinds etc. Went to Sprint after work and traded for a new phone, data wouldn't even work in the store! They admitted that they have had a few phones come back with this problem. I've had the new one for a whole 16 hours and it is pretty much the same.

Other than that it's great phone! I'm thinking it's more of a network issue than it is the phone itself. Funny the only reason I switched to Sprint was because of the availability of this phone. But what's the point of having it if there is no network for it. Getting ready to head to the Sprint store and Cancel everything.

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine for a couple weeks. I bought it then 2 days later went on a weeklong vacation to Colorado. I bought the sprint cradle for my car, and navigation worked ok, had to restart the phone a few times. Granted I was driving Through the middle of Nebraska at the time. I used wifi at home so I never noticed how bad the data was at home. In Denver I had no data service in virtually any building I went in. In the mountains it was basically only good as a camera. when I got home and went to work I tried listening to streaming radio, and had no data signal, my old HTC desire on U.S, cellular had no problems there. Or at the grocery store, home, girlfreinds etc. Went to Sprint after work and traded for a new phone, data wouldn't even work in the store! They admitted that they have had a few phones come back with this problem. I've had the new one for a whole 16 hours and it is pretty much the same.

Other than that it's great phone! I'm thinking it's more of a network issue than it is the phone itself. Funny the only reason I switched to Sprint was because of the availability of this phone. But what's the point of having it if there is no network for it. Getting ready to head to the Sprint store and Cancel everything.

Used mine multiple trips all over Colorado and it works great. Hope you get a better one.

Sent via EVO LTE

cordellcc

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
If you don't have regular exposure to wi-fi, then yes maybe you should switch to another carrier because Sprint's 3G SUCKS! But if you're like me and have wi-fi just about everywhere you go to the point where the 3G issue won't effect you too much, stay with Sprint because this phone is a BEAST!

thomasr1950

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my 6th EVO LTE in 3 months. I have 2 lines of service, one phone has been replaced 3times, the other once. I'm trying to get Sprint to replace it with the S3, so far they say no. 3 of the phones just quit, did nothing, one quit sending/receiving texts. Every week i have a issue of some kind so i have to email HTC for assistance. I think the issues are a bit much in 3 months. Some owners swear by them & say they love it & haven't had any issues. Others say the S3 is a much faster, better phone. Then there are reception issues a lot of EVO owners say they have.

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm on my 6th EVO LTE in 3 months. I have 2 lines of service, one phone has been replaced 3times, the other once. I'm trying to get Sprint to replace it with the S3, so far they say no. 3 of the phones just quit, did nothing, one quit sending/receiving texts. Every week i have a issue of some kind so i have to email HTC for assistance. I think the issues are a bit much in 3 months. Some owners swear by them & say they love it & haven't had any issues. Others say the S3 is a much faster, better phone. Then there are reception issues a lot of EVO owners say they have.

I blame one or more of your app downloads.

Sent via EVO LTE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar