Sense 4.0 multitasking - hands on impressions?

k000

May 12, 2012
Visit site
ive been singing my own praises. i love this phone and everything about it. the people that have done nothing but complain about it should just return it and find something else.

and that sounds completely ridiculous. show me proof of this law...

We are digressing, and I am not an expert, and won't be able to reply to any questions But a
small snippet -->

Are the FTC Endorsement Guides new?

The Guides aren?t new, but they?ve recently been updated. It?s always been the law that if an ad features an endorser who?s a relative or employee of the marketer ? or if an endorser has been paid or given something of value to tout the marketer?s product ? the ad is misleading unless the connection is made clear. The reason is obvious: Knowing about the connection is important information for anyone evaluating the endorsement. Say you?re planning a vacation. You do some research and find a glowing review on someone?s blog that a certain resort is the most luxurious place they?ve ever stayed. If you found out that the hotel had paid that blogger to say great things about it or that the blogger had stayed there for a week for free, it could affect how much weight you?d give the blogger?s endorsement.

Why did the FTC revise its Endorsement Guides to include social media?

The FTC revised the Guides because truth in advertising is important in all media ? including blogs and social networking sites. The FTC regularly reviews its guides and rules to see if they need to be updated. Because the Endorsement Guides were written in1980, they didn?t address social media. The legal principles haven?t changed. The FTC revised the examples to show how these standards apply in today?s marketing world.

Isn?t it common knowledge that some bloggers are paid to tout products or that if you click a link on my site to buy a product, I?ll get a commission for that sale?

First, many bloggers who mention products don?t receive anything for their reviews and don?t get a commission if readers click on a link to buy a product. Second, the financial arrangements between some bloggers and advertisers may be apparent to industry insiders, but not to everyone else who reads a blog. Under the law, an act or practice is deceptive if it misleads ?a significant minority? of consumers. So even if some readers are aware of these deals, many readers aren?t. That?s why disclosure is important.

Link abt just follow up questions -->
The FTC

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I just gloss over/ignore his posts because I know there's not going to be anything remotely objective about anything he says.

Sent from my E4GLTE using Android Central Forums

k000

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I just gloss over/ignore his posts because I know there's not going to be anything remotely objective about anything he says.

Sent from my E4GLTE using Android Central Forums

:) On some other forums there is a "ignore" option on posters I want to do that actually.

But seriously what bummed me this morning was that I was on Stitcher and as I walked from NY penn to midtown my audio kept getting laggy/cut out and then I stopped at Bryant part and noticed that everytime I was getting an email or a change in signal audio would stutter... not sure if it's a app issue or OS or just specifci to this device.

I really do hope we get some OTA update soon.

I am also thinking of going to a store today and compare my camera with an in store model. Maybe my camera is more blurry than others or maybe I have keener eye.. which is not helping me one bit. I already envy the iPhone pics whcih my friends / colleagues share :)

digink#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I've been noticing this multi-tasking issue more and more, and I must say, it is driving me insane.

As much as I love the E4GLTE, boy do I wish I was still in my 30 days with BB I'd return it for an S3 in a heart beat. I hate Samsung build/screen, but this issue makes it very hard to use the device to it's full potential.

I'm just waiting on good ROMs to start releasing and I'm going to ditch the stock non-sense ASAP. I liked Sense 4 a lot, but this issue makes it almost unbearable.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I've been noticing this multi-tasking issue more and more, and I must say, it is driving me insane.

As much as I love the E4GLTE, boy do I wish I was still in my 30 days with BB I'd return it for an S3 in a heart beat. I hate Samsung build/screen, but this issue makes it very hard to use the device to it's full potential.

Please Email HTC and give them your feedback. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...Fwww.htc.com%2Fus%2Fsupport%2F&token=3f3UJGcb Tell them why you are upset, how it affects you, and how it affects what phone you will recommend to your friends and family...

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Wait, my phone multitasks? The way it performs, I can't tell. It's like going back to using a second gen ipod touch! (which has no multitasking at all)

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm losing faith than a fix will come. I hope one does because I'm sure this issue will hurt sales with their future offerings. Although the amount of people who recognize this issue is in the minority, our voices are rather loud.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I really gave my evo4glte s workout yesterday. I was researching something on the net when a friend called and sent me some info through messaging. I went back and forth on the net for my research while on phone. Then through gallery and every time I returned to the net for my research, I was back to last page area I left. I had to have visited that at least a dozen times, while on the phone and receiving info from the messenger to gallery,it worked perfectly without the least bit flaw. Just sayin. .:beer::D:thumbup::p

Last edited:

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I really gave my evo4glte s workout yesterday. I was researching something on the net when a friend called and sent me some info through messaging. I went back and forth on the net for my research while on phone. Then through gallery and every time I returned to the net for my research, I was back to last page area I left. I had to have visited that at least a dozen times, while on the phone and receiving info from the messenger to gallery,it worked perfectly without the least bit flaw. Just sayin. .:beer::D:thumbup::p

The problem I am having and I know it will be fixed with an update is when I stream and try to do anything else the streaming app closes. That's my only multi task issue I am having. Love this phone, no complaints. I can deal with it until an update comes. Screen /battery life /speed /everything about this phone is awesome so I can put up with a few bugs.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

monkeypimp

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
For me I have had 2 issues with the multitasking that I find unacceptable.
1) using navigation in the car, phone rings, have a conversation, hangup and Navigation restarts but has lost my destination that I am supposed to reenter while driving...this is a huge safety issue in my opinion and HTC will have to fix.
2) when i am out riding my bike and listening to music(google music, Tune In, Pandora, etc) and a phone call comes in which I don't pick up, after the ringing stops the music does not return and I have to go back into the app and restart the music.

Other than that Multitasking hasn't really caused me any issues.

I contacted HTC and they called me to discuss. They had me go into settings then Developer options and check the keep activities option..then i was told to hit the home button(not the back button) Sense reloaded. then i was told to go back in and uncheck it and exit with the home button again and sense reloaded again. I then restarted the phone and last night using navigation while driving I received 2 phone calls and navigation restarted with no issues. Hopefully for me the Multitasking issue won't rear its head again.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
call me crazy but this multitasking "issue" is totally a non-issue for me. i guess i just dont need to be running 6 apps at once. maybe it's just me. ive found no problem switching back and forth between 2 apps. the funny thing is i remember when android first came out people complained about all the apps running in the background and everyone with an android device was mashing the task killer button every time they closed something. now when the phone does it for you all of a sudden people freak about that. i can guarantee that if htc makes a patch for sense that allows tons of apps to run at the same time people will start complaining about that. poor battery life will undoubtedly be one of the new complaints...

Let me choose which apps I wish to close. For $200, I don't need HTC making those decisions for me.
Man, I miss those days you speak of, when none of my apps in the background closed without my permission. Those were the good old days. *sigh*

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

I'm just waiting on good ROMs to start releasing and I'm going to ditch the stock non-sense ASAP. I liked Sense 4 a lot, but this issue makes it almost unbearable.

If you hate Samsung build/screen, why in the world would you opt for one? You do know that Sprint has other device choices, right?

PreMo15

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
call me crazy but this multitasking "issue" is totally a non-issue for me. i guess i just dont need to be running 6 apps at once. maybe it's just me. ive found no problem switching back and forth between 2 apps. the funny thing is i remember when android first came out people complained about all the apps running in the background and everyone with an android device was mashing the task killer button every time they closed something. now when the phone does it for you all of a sudden people freak about that. i can guarantee that if htc makes a patch for sense that allows tons of apps to run at the same time people will start complaining about that. poor battery life will undoubtedly be one of the new complaints...

Dude, right on...I totally agree. My social networking presence is pretty much non-existent (unless you count these forums), so maybe I'm in a different boat than a lot of people, but I like the fact that my battery isn't brought to its knees by apps I'm not even using.

Wrong. Background apps know they are in the background and consume no power at all unless they need to be doing something (unless the app is just defective). For example, when you switch away from Play Store, it should continue to download and install/update stuff you told it to, until it is done, then it will suspend all activity. Most games will instantly suspend all activity when you switch away, because there is no need to do anything without the screen.

Really? No power at all? I don't think that's right. If a background process is running, it needs power to do so...however miniscule it may be. I'm kind of a stickler about battery life, so I prefer to eliminate ALL unnecessary use of it. I'm aware of the argument that you supposedly consume more battery by having a process terminate completely and then restarting it than if you had just left it running, but I haven't seen any hard numbers to convince me that it's really that detrimental. In the instances that I open an app for some really quick task (like checking the news or weather or something), I want it gone when I'm done with it because it does me no good to keep running for hours until I decide to check it again. That's just my opinion...

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Really? No power at all? I don't think that's right. If a background process is running, it needs power to do so..

Really. Please see my response your your concern in this other thread:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/194498-multitasking-solutions-found.html#post2018314

All modern OS's, including Android, using signaling to apps. Apps that don't need to do anything do not poll for screen/kb and do not consume any resources, other than memory. If they *DO* need to do something, then that is exactly why we are supposed to have a multitasking operating system. Otherwise, we are stuck with a primitive suspend-and-refresh/reload design like the ancient PalmOS.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Had an annoying moment with the custom "multitasking" today. Went for a run with Nike+ and it kept pausing every few miles. I'd go to check my stats and it wouldn't be monitoring my run. App would not run in the background. Kind of important with a run taking app.

Also had issues with slacker pausing in the background a few days ago.

At first this didn't bother me but now I'm stating to get annoyed.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Android Central Forums

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Had an annoying moment with the custom "multitasking" today. Went for a run with Nike+ and it kept pausing every few miles. I'd go to check my stats and it wouldn't be monitoring my run. App would not run in the background. Kind of important with a run taking app.

Also had issues with slacker pausing in the background a few days ago.

Make sure to Email HTC, https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...Fwww.htc.com%2Fus%2Fsupport%2F&token=KyXjb756 , if you have not done so already, and describe why you are unhappy with this broken behavior. In fact, even if you have already done so, do it again, since you have even more real-world examples of how it is unacceptable.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Make sure to Email HTC, https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...Fwww.htc.com%2Fus%2Fsupport%2F&token=nbORGov7 , if you have not done so already, and describe why you are unhappy with this broken behavior. In fact, even if you have already done so, do it again, since you have even more real-world examples of how it is unacceptable.

And they will just tell you that you should uninstall the app and reinstall it. Then when you do and it still doesn't work they will blame the app. I've been through this with them for two different apps.

Frankly I'm convinced they will never acknowledge this issue.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Make sure to Email HTC, https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...Fwww.htc.com%2Fus%2Fsupport%2F&token=X6eGPXJC , if you have not done so already, and describe why you are unhappy with this broken behavior. In fact, even if you have already done so, do it again, since you have even more real-world examples of how it is unacceptable.

I posted this somewhere else but in a nutshell I have a back and forth email convo going with HTC and in a nutshell the dude is saying I'm nuts,, multitasking is just fine,, he described everything he does with his phone everyday,,, the enthusiasts are whack, etc, etc.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte