Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

solid battery life. Best phone I've ever had.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,415 Global Posts

Default Re: Battery Life

Yesterday I was getting excellent battery life. Today? No.

At 52% of battery now. Taken off charger (full) at 8:30a this morning (10 hours off charger). Have made no calls or texts, played no music, don't poll for Email, don't use Facebook or G+, have almost no services running. Actually used the phone maybe a total of 12 min all day, just wifi analyzer and about 4 program updates, that's all. Have phone set to CDMA only.

Battery use detail is: Android OS 26%, Screen 24%, WiFi 14%, Cell Standby 11%, Phone idle 10%, WiFi Analyzer 9%

"Android OS" seemed really high. Clicking on it just says: CPU Total 1h 3m, Keep awake 8h 16m.

Sounds like an app is keeping the phone awake.

This is my second full day.... And I do mean full day!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery Life-uploadfromtaptalk1338417863405.jpg   Battery Life-uploadfromtaptalk1338417879448.jpg  

Global Posts
    2,415 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by decke003 View Post
    Sounds like an app is keeping the phone awake.
    I thought so too, but there is nothing unusual in task manager: Messages, google services, people, maps, voicemail, htc weather, cdm, smart device manager, bluetooth share, htc account, easy reminder, and wiper app. Those are literally all that is running, and it is all stock stuff except "easy reminder" which I have used for years on other phones and days on this one without any issue.

It might be a fluke. But from what I am reading, seeing "Android OS" as "keep awake" for 8 of 10 hours on a phone bared used at all is probably abnormal. I took some screenshots of it all and will reboot and see what happens tomorrow.

I never had this.much time off.my charger with my OG EVO I'm lovin this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery Life-2012-05-30_19-58-37.jpg   Battery Life-2012-05-30_19-58-30.jpg  

This was my personal best thus far.
    only thing different was that I turned off LTE. Now if it could just last me until nighttime then I'll be happier.

Sent from my eVo LTE

Notice how Maps is the 2nd most ued app sitting at 13%, how do i get it to go away? I cleaned it out in multitask, i even rebooted the phone and didnt open GM after it rebooted yet it still shows GM as a running app. How do i clear it out?...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery Life-uploadfromtaptalk1338427071944.jpg  
    Last edited by htc evo 4g; 05-30-2012 at 08:40 PM.

My phone is great on battery, I dont have it activated yet, but I use it all day and it has no problem getting me through.

Global Posts
    2,415 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    I thought so too, but there is nothing unusual in task manager: Messages, google services, people, maps, voicemail, htc weather, cdm, smart device manager, bluetooth share, htc account, easy reminder, and wiper app. Those are literally all that is running, and it is all stock stuff except "easy reminder" which I have used for years on other phones and days on this one without any issue.

It might be a fluke. But from what I am reading, seeing "Android OS" as "keep awake" for 8 of 10 hours on a phone bared used at all is probably abnormal. I took some screenshots of it all and will reboot and see what happens tomorrow.
    I charged the phone completely, then rebooted the phone and left it off the charger for an hour. Sure enough, under "Android OS" it had a "keep awake" of 59 minutes. All I did today was install some more games and "disable" some of the pre-installed apps I won't ever use (like dropbox, facebook, stocks). So I just enabled everything I disabled, then turned off "Fast boot" and did another reboot. Just doing that (enabling the apps again took about 4 minutes or less) and being off the charger for an hour claimed 11% of my battery! Let's see what it does tomorrow after another charge. I guess if this doesn't fix the problem, all I can do is restore to factory defaults and hope that works

Is anyone else seeing "keep awake" times that approach the "on battery" times?
    Thanked by:
    bc2k 

Quote Originally Posted by htc evo 4g View Post
    This was my personal best thus far.
    only thing different was that I turned off LTE. Now if it could just last me until nighttime then I'll be happier.

Sent from my eVo LTE

Notice how Maps is the 2nd most ued app sitting at 13%, how do i get it to go away? I cleaned it out in multitask, i even rebooted the phone and didnt open GM after it rebooted yet it still shows GM as a running app. How do i clear it out?...
    Try disabling / signing out of Latitude. This might be the problem.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

ROM
    CM7

I charged the phone completely, then rebooted the phone and left it off the charger for an hour. Sure enough, under "Android OS" it had a "keep awake" of 59 minutes. All I did today was install some more games and "disable" some of the pre-installed apps I won't ever use (like dropbox, facebook, stocks). So I just enabled everything I disabled, then turned off "Fast boot" and did another reboot. Just doing that (enabling the apps again took about 4 minutes or less) and being off the charger for an hour claimed 11% of my battery! Let's see what it does tomorrow after another charge. I guess if this doesn't fix the problem, all I can do is restore to factory defaults and hope that works

Be wary of that factory reset. If you set-up google wallet and factory reset without resetting Google wallet, then it is rendered useless.
    Originally Posted by sdrawkcab25
    From what I've been reading, there is no going back once you get the secure element error. The NFC chip is bricked (for purchases).

The only for sure way to avoid the error is to reset the wallet app before doing any factory resets or flashing of new roms, kernels or radios. The reset has to be done from WITHIN the app, clearing data for the app is not enough.

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

Yesterday I was getting excellent battery life. Today? No.

At 52% of battery now. Taken off charger (full) at 8:30a this morning (10 hours off charger). Have made no calls or texts, played no music, don't poll for Email, don't use Facebook or G+, have almost no services running. Actually used the phone maybe a total of 12 min all day, just wifi analyzer and about 4 program updates, that's all. Have phone set to CDMA only.

Battery use detail is: Android OS 26%, Screen 24%, WiFi 14%, Cell Standby 11%, Phone idle 10%, WiFi Analyzer 9%

"Android OS" seemed really high. Clicking on it just says: CPU Total 1h 3m, Keep awake 8h 16m.
    WiFi at 14% seems high. Do you have your settings such that after 15 minutes of inactivity it drops back to 3G?

WiFi standby uses a noticeable bit more power than 3G standby. Which is opposite of what you normally hear but that has to do with actually active data use power draw.

Lets just say that on my Xoom it went from just over 1 day with WiFi always on to 3+ days when i used the drop to 3G after 15 minutes setting. Obviously you won't see that much a difference here, but just as a point of reference.

My battery drained 50% over ten hours of me not touching it at all. Looking at CPU spy the phone is not going into deep sleep, the lowest clock speed the processor will go is 384 MHz. It looks like sm8921_eoc seems to be keeping it awake according to BetterBatteryStats. The question is, what exactly is sm8921_eoc?
    Thanked by:
    bc2k 

Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

If there is one thing for sure- it appears from everyone's data that the screen really sucks power! I am assuming it is the backlight. Almost every report has it over 60%- that is a LOT of energy!
    Yeah but it's worth it! I'm actually using my tablet less now too.

Sent from my HTC EVOLTE using Tapatalk.
    Kyo 6035 > Kyo 7135 > Palm 800W > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVOLTE > HTC One (M8) + EVO View 4G

Global Posts
    1,347 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperRom

These were my stats during memorial day weekend ... Taken off charger Saturday morning around 3am and screenshot taken at 11:12pm on sunday
    Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer...... but wish we didn't.

I'm seeing similar on mine. Did some searching, found posts alleging the 'Android OS' problem is a calculation error in pre-4.0.4 ICS, but I have way less battery life compared to another E4GLTE in the family. There might be a calc error wrongly casting blame on Android OS, but it seems like there's definitely a real battery issue one way or another.

Has anyone with (relatively) poor battery life tried a factory reset and if so, any difference?

Quote Originally Posted by cloak.n.dagger View Post
    No one really knows how well (or not so well) this phone will do once LTE connections are available. Either get use to plugging it in throughout the day, or get some kind of case oe external battery pack that will keep it alive when it's low on juice. I personally can't wait to root and ROM this phone and get a custom kernel on here that will give me 15+ hours and maybe even get me to 2GHz!

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE smarter than your phone!
    Well my battery life is way better than what I was ever getting with my original EVO 4G but it's not OUTSTANDING by any means... Currently at 9 hours 15 minutes unplugged at 37% remaining and 1 hour 54 minutes with the screen on and most of that screen time the display settings were set at the lowest settings (while inside) but I agree with Cloak... Keep it plugged up is your best bet... If you are an original EVO owner (or really any large screen smart phone user) you should be use to battery life issues... I have a charger at my desk at work, in my car and two in my house.. One in the living room and one in the bedroom... and with my original EVO I had two spare batteries for anytime I thought I was going to be away from a power outlet for any long period of time...

While I am at my desk at work I kept my original EVO plugged up and then any long drive in the car it was plugged up... if I came home and was going to head out again later plug it up in the living room or kitchen before leaving and then charge it all night..

Right now I am just playing around with and testing the battery life by not plugging it up at work or in the car.. just trying to see what kind of use I get out of the battery...

Global Posts
    2,415 Global Posts

OK, results are in. TODAY was a totally different experience. I was on battery for 9.5 hours, and at 90% battery!!! WiFi 29%, Cell standby 23%, Phone idle 21%, Screen 18%, Android OS 4%. Yep- 4%. And more importantly, the CPU total was 3 min instead of 60 and the Keep awake was 7 min instead of 9 hours.

So, what changed? As I said above, it appears to have been re-enabling those disabled apps. But I also changed the WiFi back to the default of off for "Best Wi-Fi performance" (which I don't think is the key). Tomorrow I will do another test just to make sure.
    Last edited by crxssi; 06-01-2012 at 03:29 PM.
    Thanked by:
    bc2k 

ROM
    CM10 Nightlies

OK, results are in. TODAY was a totally different experience. I was on battery for 9.5 hours, and at 90% battery!!! WiFi 29%, Cell standby 23%, Phone idle 21%, Screen 18%, Android OS 4%. Yep- 4%. And more importantly, the CPU total was 3 min instead of 60 and the Keep awake was 7 min instead of 9 hours.

So, what changed? As I said above, it appears to have been re-enabling those disabled apps. But I also changed the WiFi back to the default of off for "Best Wi-Fi performance" (which I don't think is the key). Tomorrow I will do another test just to make sure.

My advice- be very careful disabling any of the pre-installed applications. If you do, and your battery life takes a dive, then check the CPU usage and "Keep Awake" times. If they are high, then turn back on those apps and reboot and check again. Disable one at a time to see the effects. Theoretically, it shouldn't matter if things like "stocks" or "facebook" are disabled, but as you can see, reality doesn't necessarily equal theory sometimes. I have a feeling there are some bugs that need squashing regarding disabling the bundled apps.
    I'm lucky enough to get a full day out of mine. What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE!

Theoretically, it shouldn't matter if things like "stocks" or "facebook" are disabled
    Interesting since those are the ones I had disabled as well. Easy enough to bring 'em back to life and see what happens. Here's hoping the fix is sticky, and thanks!

(Update)
    So far no apparent change, still bleeding juice at > OG EVO rate. Grr.
    Last edited by bc2k; 05-31-2012 at 06:09 PM.

Global Posts
    2,415 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bc2k View Post
    Interesting since those are the ones I had disabled as well. Easy enough to bring 'em back to life and see what happens. Here's hoping the fix is sticky, and thanks!

(Update)
    So far no apparent change, still bleeding juice at > OG EVO rate. Grr.
    Remember, my problem was specifically that the "Android OS" would never go to sleep, destroying the battery life. Verify you have the same problem by going into settings-> power-> battery use -> Android OS and see if you have a ridiculously high amount of time under "Keep Awake" and a considerably high "CPU total".

If this *is* your problem, go in and re-enable *every* app you disabled. Turn off fastboot then reboot your phone and check that you don't have the "Best Wi-Fi performance" mode set, if yes, turn it off and see what happens (remember that the stats won't reset until after a 100% battery recharge)...
    Last edited by crxssi; 06-01-2012 at 03:30 PM.

My problem with battery life appears to just be the HORRIBLE signal I get at work... after 9 hours at work I went from 100% to 36% with just roughly 2 hours of screen time.. I get home and use a heart rate monitor app hooked to the bluetooth on my phone and with the screen on full time for roughly an hour while running on the treadmill the battery went from 36% to 32% with the screen on full time for an hour but with a strong signal.. At work I lose signal inside the building all the time and I bet it's killing the battery losing and searching and connecting to a signal all day (and I have it set to CDMA only since LTE isn't full time here yet)

Global Posts
    2,415 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie317 View Post
    My problem with battery life appears to just be the HORRIBLE signal I get at work...
    Yep, that is a common problem. I don't get a great signal at work either, and I can tell that eats battery. NOTHING is worse than if you completely lose signal, then it has to search for another tower, perhaps try it in roam, then notice the Sprint tower again, and switch back, then lose signal, etc. It used to be you could fix that situation for such areas by forcing roam on. But Sprint took the option away because people would forget to take that option back off again.

Personally, I think they should have kept the option, but have it automatically revert to Sprint + Roam after 12 hours or something.

I'm at 29% at 11 hrs, 33 min.... As crxssi has mentioned in his post, my EvoLTE doesn't seem to want to go to sleep. Of those 11 hrs, it has been awake for 9... I think my issue is that I have a terrible, terrible voice signal strength in my house in Brooklyn, NY; I barely get 1 bar and I'm experiencing drop calls. My OG Evo had no problems with signal - it had at least 3 bars.

Sprint is sending me an AIRAVE, but, if I read correctly on the Sprint Community forums, that may open up another can of worms.

Global Posts
    2,415 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AppleR112 View Post
    I'm at 29% at 11 hrs, 33 min.... As crxssi has mentioned in his post, my EvoLTE doesn't seem to want to go to sleep. Of those 11 hrs, it has been awake for 9... I think my issue is that I have a terrible, terrible voice signal strength in my house in Brooklyn, NY; I barely get 1 bar and I'm experiencing drop calls. My OG Evo had no problems with signal - it had at least 3 bars.

Sprint is sending me an AIRAVE, but, if I read correctly on the Sprint Community forums, that may open up another can of worms.
    Did you disable any apps or change the WiFi mode to "higher performance"?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast