EVO 4G LTE Wifi connection glitches?

bc2k

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else seeing wifi connection stability problems? I see forum posts for the One X that mention some wifi related problems, which HTC may or may not have acknowledged... :p

My connection at home keeps dropping and reconnecting. I have a year old Linksys E2000 / 2.4 GHz which I've used with my EVO 4G, no problems noticed there.

The E4GLTE might stay connected for five minutes, or thirty seconds - no apparent pattern or association with activity. Restart phone and/or router doesn't seem to change anything. Doesn't seem to be dependent on signal strength; it's just as likely to drop and reconnect ten feet from the router, yet stay connected 300 feet away and outside.

Anyone else?

dpineda85

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem last night. It was trying to obtain ip address, but never did. I disconnected, turned it off, restarted the phone (held power button for 10 seconds), and reconnected. It's worked fine since.

Kinolay

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problems. I've tried toggling all the settings in every conceivable permutation, and I can't get it to remain connected. It doesn't even find the network in the WiFi settings menu.

bc2k

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Great! Sort of. At least it's not just me. Or just you.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to let HTC know, and find out if they're working on a fix. That's the trouble with us having the first relatively few devices; nothing in the Googles on the soon to be common problems yet.

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Same problem here. Kept disconnecting and reconnecting when I was downloading all of my Play and Amazon apps yesterday. Haven't turned it on since.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I had the problem. Went into advanced wifi settings and changed it to high performance which it says may use more power. I looked and this was already the default on my EVO3D. Anyways, wifi works perfectly now and according to Wifi Analyzer gets a LOT better reception than the 3D did.

Reactions: bc2k

Kinolay

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
It's worse now. Now, in the menu to connect to a network, the "connect" button is grayed out. It remains grayed out even after entering the password. This is getting quite ridiculous.

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
It seems to kill my entire wifi network after an unspecified amount of time... I noticed it while trying to download most of the apps that I had on my OG Evo. Never happened before, rebooting the router fixed it for a while, and then eventually it went down again.

I'm guessing that there's some sort of incompatibility between the E4GLTE and my Netgear router, as the wireless network at work was fine. Tried changing some of my router settings, hopefully that fixes the issue.

Cowchip

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Just a followup to my comment about the wi-fi not connecting. This may not be the same issue as others are having but felt it was worth mentioning.

Every time, and I mean EVERY time, that I turned off wi-fi and then turned it back on the wi-fi would not connect without rebooting the phone. It would say that it was getting an IP address but never fully connected and the process would repeat.

I had a wi-fi toggle widget installed and on a whim decided to uninstall it and now I can disconnect and reconnect to wi-fi at will.

Kinolay

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I have tried three different routers on three different networks. I have tried a factory reset, and I've tried adjusting every setting that might be related to WiFi. I still haven't found a fix. Is anyone else still struggling?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Have any of you guys checked your router logs to see if there's any troubleshooting info there that might help?

Also, have you tried a public hotspot -- like a Starbucks? They don't use encryption settings, so it would be a good test to see if the EVO has issues with that or not. You could also test turning off all security settings on yours as well, if you're willing to do so.

It could also be an issue with 802.11n. If you have a B or G capable router, that might also be worth trying. I've experienced the symptoms described with other phones.

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I changed my router settings to turn down the LAN speed from "Up to 150 Mbps" to "54 Mbps," and changed the encryption from WPA2-PSK [AES] to WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES], and that seems to have fixed my issues. *knock on wood*

We'll see if this lasts me at least a few days, then I might switch the LAN speed back up again.

bkdraper

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I've been experiencing the same thing that somebody else on this thread said they were experiencing about the wifi "connect" button being disabled.

I just experienced the most bizarre thing with this and I confirmed it on 3 different WPA2 networks at my work:
The "connect" button was staying disabled until I entered the at least the number of characters that the particular network password required (i.e. network#1 password was 6 characters long, the connect button stayed disabled until I entered at least 6 characters, network#2 password was 8 characters long, connect button stayed disabled until I entered at least 8 characters)
Its almost as if the phone was polling the router for authentication rules or something odd-ball like that.

Either way, that was my experience. worked exactly that way for me every time I tried it.

mrbuddy

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm suffering from random outages. Seems to have chewed through my battery today reconnecting all the time. I read bad things about using "best wifi performance" so I've left that off, but something I just messed with is the wifi frequency band setting. Rather than letting it choose what to do I may force it to 2.4 GHz and see if that helps. Any thoughts?

This is a rather annoying issue.

Mophomania

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had great wifi service on my phone ( going on a week and a half)...until last night. It was on, working great, I went out for an errand and came back. Wifi was still on, but would not reconnect. I've turned wifi on and off several times, rebooted (full shutdown), rebooted my router and nothing so far. I removed my router from scanned wifi selections and reselected it, entering my password, and still nothing. I'm just glad i can still get internet thru my airave. Just really annoying. Not sure if its my phone or my router decided it had enough of my phone. If anybody has any other ideas, I'm all ears. Only had this problem with my photon a couple times and rebooting usually fixed it. It sees my router, and keeps saying its getting an IP address, then starts scanning again. Like an endless boot loop. Oh well.

sent from my wicked EVO ONE using mind beam.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay