Sprint Car Dock pictures

cib227

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have any issues when the car dock is plugged in and charging? mine seemed to get very warm, overheating maybe, and then flashing green/amber light indicator...

wasn't sure if it was the hot sun or if it was just overheating. I was running navigation and just plugged in to the car charger, that's all...

thanks!

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Is it just me or does the phone look uneven in the OP pics? The right side seems to sit lower that the left side. Is this because there's a case installed? Pics posted a few posts up don't seem to show this but there is no case on the phone. Just wondering if it's the case causing the crookedness or if it just wasn't fully seated in the dock?

Sh3ngLong

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have any issues when the car dock is plugged in and charging? mine seemed to get very warm, overheating maybe, and then flashing green/amber light indicator...

wasn't sure if it was the hot sun or if it was just overheating. I was running navigation and just plugged in to the car charger, that's all...

thanks!

Mine also gets really hot after I used the navigation for 10 minutes while charging. I'm not sure if this is normal. With my OG EVO, I always had a case on, so I never really felt how hot it gets.

I'll do more tests and use the navigation late at night and see if it's still gets hot.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Is it just me or does the phone look uneven in the OP pics? The right side seems to sit lower that the left side. Is this because there's a case installed? Pics posted a few posts up don't seem to show this but there is no case on the phone. Just wondering if it's the case causing the crookedness or if it just wasn't fully seated in the dock?

It comes with some small foam pads to stick under the phone with a case to get it level. The connector will hold it up on the left but I'd put them on both sides to not strain the connector.

Sh3ngLong

May 16, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, it looks like the microUSB is pushing the phone up, causing it to be uneven. I just got my Seidio case today so I can verify it tonight and post some pictures.

Also, I remember seeing a one-sided sticky padding that came with the car dock. Didn't know what it was for, but after you pointed out the crookedness, I think it's actually for the right side of the base to make the phone stand evenly. Maybe I should read the manual. :p

I'll send an update later tonight.

EDIT: NicksGarage already mentioned the foam pad. :)

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it looks like the microUSB is pushing the phone up, causing it to be uneven. I just got my Seidio case today so I can verify it tonight and post some pictures.

Also, I remember seeing a one-sided sticky padding that came with the car dock. Didn't know what it was for, but after you pointed out the crookedness, I think it's actually for the right side of the base to make the phone stand evenly. Maybe I should read the manual. :p

I'll send an update later tonight.

EDIT: NicksGarage already mentioned the foam pad. :)

The sticky foam pads are actually to put on the dock's "main" surface (the big flat part the back of your phone would rest on) if you've taken the adapter out but are using a thin case (I think the little paper insert said 1.5mm or so). If your case is too thick for use with the adapter insert in but flops around with it out, those pads are supposed to take up the slack.

Using them to level out the phone at the bottom is a bonus use :)

Last edited:

Sh3ngLong

May 16, 2010
Visit site
The sticky foam pads are actually to put on the dock's "main" surface (the big flat part the back of your phone would rest on) if you've taken the adapter out but are using a thin case (I think the little paper insert said 1.5mm or so). If your case is too thick for use with the adapter insert in but flops around with it out, those pads are supposed to take up the slack.

Using them to level out the phone at the bottom is a bonus use :)

Sorry, don't think it was meant for the back... ;)

7300106278_6ddc371dec_b.jpg

Reactions: jeffreytz

Sh3ngLong

May 16, 2010
Visit site
So I got the Seidio Surface case on and here's how it looks with and without the foam pad.

Without foam pad:
7300106502_c7304d5e3e_b.jpg

With foam pad:
7300106426_d950305742_b.jpg

The foam pad definitely helps level the phone.

Reactions: XxViperNYCxX

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok question I have that little piece of foam is there just the one that came with it? I didn't even know about that piece until I read it on here. My Otterbox Commuter fits in my dock now that I cut off the little rubber flap that covered the charging port.It's not completely even the left side sticks up a hair more and doesn't sit in there all the way but it seems ok to me. Should I use that foam to make it more even? I see the difference in your pictures but mine fits and at least charges. I guess I'll try the foam pad too so it will look better I'm getting a surface case this week.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone else's ringtone playing for ~5 secs when you plug into and remove from the dock? I have a custom ringtone (song) and hearing 5 secs of it is really annoying. Any ideas how to disable this? I use a custom car dock app (Car Dashboard Pro) and it still does it with that.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I bought the HTC car dock for the original EVO and barely used it... Number one the phone got really hot sitting hooked to the dash in the summer even with the AC blasting and the fact that when you used the GPS on the old EVO for long periods of time it got really hot as well... I still have that original dock and I bet I only used it like 5 or 6 times... Not to mention a couple of times it got so hot the suction loosened up and it fell off the dash to the floor board of the car (Which my Garmin mount has done the same thing from time to time as well) Seemed like a great idea being able to use your phone as a GPS but really that is what my Garmin is for... For me it was a waste of money.... But to each his own right????

Brandito

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I've been using my lte as well as my old evo as a GPS twice a day for an hour each way for 10 months, and off and on for long periods before that and have had only a few issues with over heating. I find my phones GPS superior in a number of ways to a dedicated unit. Maps are always up to date, real time traffic, and it's always with me.

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
The Sprint Car Dock for Evo 4G LTE comes with a round disc that can be mounted to the dashbord. The "trick" to get it to stick is to use an alcopad when putting it on the dash and then leave it to "bond" with the surface for 24 hours. This will ensure that when the suction mount is attached the disc has enough holding power. However, keep in mind that anything that is on top of your dash for months or years could leave a mark when removed.

As other users have pointed out most any dashboard "bean bag" will also work to hold the suction mount from the Car Dock. Since the Mount and the Dock is using a 17 mm ball joint, same as Garmin, there's plenty of other attachment options available, from fixed installed mounts to vent mounts. Hope this helps...

Reactions: ERicJ and DC Wuff

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
The Sprint Car Dock for Evo 4G LTE comes with a round disc that can be mounted to the dashbord. The "trick" to get it to stick is to use an alcopad when putting it on the dash and then leave it to "bond" with the surface for 24 hours. This will ensure that when the suction mount is attached the disc has enough holding power. However, keep in mind that anything that is on top of your dash for months or years could leave a mark when removed.

As other users have pointed out most any dashboard "bean bag" will also work to hold the suction mount from the Car Dock. Since the Mount and the Dock is using a 17 mm ball joint, same as Garmin, there's plenty of other attachment options available, from fixed installed mounts to vent mounts. Hope this helps...

I bought this car dock yesterday and was seriously considering returning it in favor of a future HTC mount, but this info may lead me to keep it. I'd love to have my dock vent-mounted. Thanks!

May 28, 2012
Visit site

thanks!

Same problem. In fact, it will stop charging when it flashes green/amber and I didn't know it until I ran out of battery...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc