Wi-Fi and battery

Exe44

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
HTC EVO 4G LTE Get Started manual in the Battery-Saving Tips states ?disable Wi-Fi on the phone when you?re not using them? (page 34)
So what happened to the logic that we should keep Wi-Fi on when we are in range of the wireless router, because an active 3G connection consumes more power than an active Wi-Fi connection?

Judynnnn

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
But if there isn't wifi where you're at,its just wasting battery.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Central Forums

ericj12

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
HTC EVO 4G LTE Get Started manual in the Battery-Saving Tips states ?disable Wi-Fi on the phone when you?re not using them? (page 34)
So what happened to the logic that we should keep Wi-Fi on when we are in range of the wireless router, because an active 3G connection consumes more power than an active Wi-Fi connection?

yeah i think that means turn off wifi when you know you arent using it, otherwise your phone will constantly search for a wifi connection...

Exe44

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Thank you Judynnnn.

I agree with you that it makes no sense to keep this setting on when there is not Wi-Fi.

My question refers to a situation at home where there is Wi-Fi.

ericj12

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Thank you Judynnnn.

I agree with you that it makes no sense to keep this setting on when there is not Wi-Fi.

My question refers to a situation at home where there is Wi-Fi.

oh in that case, yes, leave it on wifi. i stayed home all day today with my phone on wifi, and was messing with it for almost the entire day, surfing the web, playing games, testing out apps, etc. i unplugged my phone around 9:00 this morning and i didnt have to plug it back in until about 11:00 tonight, and that was with heavy use all day.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I never turn off wifi. I'm at 5% after 13hrs 28mins. I have been on wifi for maybe 40% of the day. Don't think leaving wifi on, even when not in use, will hurt you much in battery department (based on my experience today).

Judynnnn

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
As soon as I get home I turn off the mobile network and leave wifi on.:)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Central Forums

Judacles

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I've also been leaving WiFi on all day.. I have a very specific reason why. It may drain the battery ever so slightly during parts of the day when I'm not around WiFi, but if I do turn it off, I invariably forget to turn it back on when I AM around WiFi. I have found in experience that the battery savings from having WiFi on when you can use it, FAR outweigh the battery savings you get from keeping WiFi off when you're not.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I've also been leaving WiFi on all day.. I have a very specific reason why. It may drain the battery ever so slightly during parts of the day when I'm not around WiFi, but if I do turn it off, I invariably forget to turn it back on when I AM around WiFi. I have found in experience that the battery savings from having WiFi on when you can use it, FAR outweigh the battery savings you get from keeping WiFi off when you're not.

+1, this is exactly my experience and reasoning with the Evo 4G and Evo 3D. (It will be with the Evo LTE too, if I ever get mine)

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
+1, this is exactly my experience and reasoning with the Evo 4G and Evo 3D. (It will be with the Evo LTE too, if I ever get mine)

Does the EVO LTE still have the handy widgets to toggle 4G, WiFi, GPS, airplane mode on/off? Stock ICS doesn't, but needs these for the GNex.

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Does the EVO LTE still have the handy widgets to toggle 4G, WiFi, GPS, airplane mode on/off? Stock ICS doesn't, but needs these for the GNex.
HTC provides the toggle widgets for Airplane Mode, Bluetooth, Data Roaming, GPS, Mobile Network, Sprint Hotspot, and Wi-Fi.

There's no longer a specific toggle widget for 4G, so you'll have to turn that on/off by going into the settings.

Reactions: dtreo

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463