Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By richardrk
  • 1 Post By heyyu
  • 2 Post By jdmclemore
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Default Sdcard and Sdcard2?

Has anybody else experienced this happening to them? When I popped in my SD Card and fired up Astro. It defaults to the internal storage calling it "SDCard". And my actual card is named "SDcard2". How can I fix this? Please help its driving me bandanas.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Sdcard and Sdcard2?

its how ics has things set up. "sdcard" is the internal memory where you can move apps to. "sdcard2" is your real sd card where you can put photos and music.

They are separate storage areas so using Astro you could rename them to perhaps "Internal Storage" and "SD Card". Otherwise I don't understand what you mean by "fix".

With ES File Explorer the internal memory is labelled SD card and the external is labeled Ext. SD.

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts

What color are the bandanas?
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,839 Global Posts

You can't fix it. Not without root.

90% of android phones today are setup like that. The Epic Touch 4G is like that. It's super lame.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

I just want the damn thing to default to my memory card. Pretty annoying if you ask me.

heyyu likes this.

Global Posts
    124 Global Posts

This is so stupid, seems like it wasn't thought out well.
    KoukiFC3S likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by richardrk View Post
    I just want the damn thing to default to my memory card. Pretty annoying if you ask me.

With "Astro" you can go into settings and have it default to open wherever you want it to by changing the "Home Directory" under preferences. But be careful since that might get things confused depending on what you are doing. Remember apps can only be moved to the internal memory storage, the real SD card (without rooting anyway) is really only good for photos, video and moving some files from the internal to the external purely as a manual backup option.

Does the phone automatically show pictures, movies, music when you launch the gallery or music app from the external sd card or do you have to go to Astro file to see them?

Quote Originally Posted by RogueHawkeye View Post
    Does the phone automatically show pictures, movies, music when you launch the gallery or music app from the external sd card or do you have to go to Astro file to see them?
    The phone has no trouble getting/showing the photos off of the real external sd card.

Thanks for the info Midofan

Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    The phone has no trouble getting/showing the photos off of the real external sd card.
    However, Google Play Music app cannot find any (of my) MP3s in the music folder on the external SD card...

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

I didn't have issues with Google Play seeing the music on my additional sdcard. It just came up and saw them straightaway without my having to do anything. If it makes a difference, I did put my tunes in a folder called 'Music' on the root of the sdcard (/sdcard2/Music).

Sent from my Evo LTE

Hmmm, my other music apps (HTC Music, Amazon MP3) all see the music on my external card fine... Its just Google Play Music that is having issue with me...

OK, I force Stopped Google Play Music, cleared data and restarted the app. Seems like that took care of the issue for me as I can now see my music from the external SD card. Woot!

But the issue with Google Play Music is that it doesn't appear you can choose where music gets downloaded to. I want all my music and movies on my 32GB SD card, but when you tell Play Music you want to make music available offline, you don't get a choice of where to put it - it defaults to the "built-in" sdcard.

Yes, I realize I can connect to my computer via USB and copy mp3's to a folder on the 32GB card manually, but I prefer to take advantage of the application's ability to wirelessly download anything I want from my library, like it was intended. Hopefully this feature makes it into a future update of Play Music.
    megamitch and CarlosEsque like this.

Thanks to all who posted here. This is very helpful. When I connect the device, I don't see the same designation in explorer. I only see what I believe is the External storage. Is there way to view the internal and external? Reason I ask is that when I did the data move from my EVO, I ended up with duplicate folders between the card and the internal storage. I could probably figure out how to clean it up in Astro but it would be much simpler if I could do it on the laptop.

Carrier
    Viper4G

Quote Originally Posted by markvallaster View Post
    Thanks to all who posted here. This is very helpful. When I connect the device, I don't see the same designation in explorer. I only see what I believe is the External storage. Is there way to view the internal and external? Reason I ask is that when I did the data move from my EVO, I ended up with duplicate folders between the card and the internal storage. I could probably figure out how to clean it up in Astro but it would be much simpler if I could do it on the laptop.
    The best way I've found is to boot into recovery and mount internal storage...then you can play with it in windows explorer. TWRP has this option, not sure about CWM.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

You can't modify /sdcard2/ on the phone ive tried, maybe you can with root? . But you can access and modify files on the sd card while on the phone through SDcard/ext_sd

And while connected to the pc media sync gets you access to both internal and external sd

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE