My solution to no "search" button

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Try "Wave Launcher" Gives you the ability to swipe up the screen and have apps appear in a "wave" stripe like was on the Palm Pre. I had this on my original evo but didn't use it much. With the LTE I've put Google search and vlingo on the wave along with the few other apps. Now I can open a search from any app or any place in an app.

Last edited:

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Swipe Pad is good too. Played with both of them and personally prefer the wave as it easier for one thumb operation for me and reminds me of my old Pre :)

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Thought Wave Launcher was a great option for this to - until I tried it. Wave Launcher reserves a portion of the bottom of your screen and for me it meant with my Swift Key X keyboard I was missing tons of commas, spaces, and periods. When typing those letters on the bottom row of the keyboard I was only able to use the top half of each letter. Not good!! I

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Thought Wave Launcher was a great option for this to - until I tried it. Wave Launcher reserves a portion of the bottom of your screen and for me it meant with my Swift Key X keyboard I was missing tons of commas, spaces, and periods. When typing those letters on the bottom row of the keyboard I was only able to use the top half of each letter. Not good!! I

You can adjust the "thickness" of the wave touch area as well as how wide it is and even whether it is at the bottom or the sides. I has a conflict with one game i play a lot but just made the gesture activation bar a bit thinner and moved it to the left and no more issues

Also, with Swiftkey I have the arrow buttons showing all the time. Not only do I like having the arrows, it moves the punctuation and space bar up to a better location for me.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If you don't mind nagware notifications showing up regularly. I think it is REALLY strange that Google would change the interface to remove the search button, and then not give us a 1x1 search button, only a 4x1. Even stranger that HTC didn't give us one.

I have switched to the Nova Launcher and, guess what, there is a 1x1 google search button that you can put on the task bar if you want! Also a 1x1 voice search. AND you can take the app drawer button off the task bar. Alas no menu...

svargas05

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Or instead of downloading a whole new launcher, you can either add "google search" app in the shortcuts tray, or keep the icon on your home screen.

It worked for me, because I too was missing the search button.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
what i miss is i was able to long press the search button and launch the quick sms compose w/ handcent or sms pro. i don't use voice search, but using the search button as a quick launch was a huge feature i miss.

manonmoon49

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
what i miss is i was able to long press the search button and launch the quick sms compose w/ handcent or sms pro. i don't use voice search, but using the search button as a quick launch was a huge feature i miss.

Doesn't having a menu bar with 4 apps kinda replace that capability though?

Sent from my NEW Evo 4G LTE... wait.... I have LTE?? Not yet?!? BLAST!!!