Screen behavior during calls

SirThale

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
During calls my EVO LTE is not behaving at all like my OG EVO did. As soon as I place a call the screen goes dark, and if I take the phone away from my ear during a call the screen will usually not turn on again without pressing the power button. On another thread someone mentioned this same behavior. Is this common to most people?

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Android Central Forums.

errbin

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
are you using a screen protector?

IF you are it might be covering the proximity sensor

From the User's Manual, p. 10:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...LTE_sprint_userguide_05.03.pdf&token=HelDbuXg

Proximity sensor automatically switches the display screen off when you hold the phone near your face during a call. When activated, the proximity sensor does not affect the phone’s 3G, 4G, or Wi-Fi connection.
If you want to use a screen protector, please don’t cover and block the proximity sensor. You can purchase the dedicated screen protector for your phone that already has a small opening for the sensor.

SirThale

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, but it's a Zagg Skin HD which has a notch cut out for the sensor. Not saying Zagg can't have something messed up with their skin, but I haven't had problems with their skins in the past. It *looks* like it's uncovered, unless there's another sensor somewhere that I'm not seeing.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Android Central Forums.

magicsean26

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same issue.. I thought it could be the Zagg HD, but there is nothing covering the Proximity Sensor.. It does work some of the time, thats another reason I dont think its the screen protector. It could just be a software glitch.. I am planning on rooting it as soon as its available.. Has anyone noticed that on some screens the "blacks" are kind of pixleated?

Elmox

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Is the zaggs HD A's soon as I took mine of everything when back to normal. I contacted zagg to see if they had other complaints.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Sh3ngLong

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Damn... I have the same issue and I have the ZAGG HD on. When I'm on a call, the screen either stays on or stays off throughout the entire call, no matter if the phone is near or away from my head.

I know the screen was behaving properly before I had the ZAGG HD put on. I hope ZAGG fixes this issue and sends me a replacement because I'm about to remove it.

a22matic

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I think its a BUG. I'm not running a screen protector and I'm having the same problem. Kind of annoying.
-bobby

I'm with you Bobby. I don't have a screen protector on mine, & experienced the same issue. Funny thing is I just tried a phone call, & it worked. I think it may be (or have been) a bug.

Sh3ngLong

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I did more testing with my ZAGG HD still on.

For me, the screen behaves properly during calls in daylight or in a well lit room. But in the dark or in low light conditions, the screen doesn't behave properly.

I tested this a few times in a well lit room and the screen was consistently working correctly.

And I tested this in my closet a few times and the screen was consistently NOT working correctly.

So it looks like the proximity sensor has issues handling low light conditions.

manonmoon49

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Just tested the call and everything works perfect. I need to try it in the evening to see if there is any issue in low light

Sent from my ALL NEW HTC Evo 4G LTE!!

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Just tested my proximity sensor. Did not work at all in low light. Screen would not turn off while on a call and and when I removed it from my face, it would not wake.

On a similar issue, while still on the call, I could not wake it too end the call. Every time I tried to wake it, as soon as touched the screen it turned off.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE using Android Central Forums.

hypercubexl

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Haven't tested the sensor but I have been getting the same behavior with a completely bare screen.

One thing I have noticed looking at the area is that the top of the glass on my screen is not actually flush with the body, as it should be..could that be a cause of bad sensor behavior?

Want to find out if anyone else has a defect like that and if they might exchange for it..phone is otherwise running flawlessly, so it's tough, but if it might fix the proximity I'd want to do it.

dwightshrute

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I think its a BUG. I'm not running a screen protector and I'm having the same problem. Kind of annoying.
-bobby

This!! I don't have a screen protector as well and have the same behaviors. Most of the time it goes off and doesn't come back on once removed from my head but there are others where it's obvious that it's still on when it should be off but it eventually goes off. Both are annoying!!

MDteX

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I had to experiment with mine after reading this. I don't seem to have the issue. I have no screen protector. Works fine in normal light. I went into a dark room for a call and the proximity sensor worked as expected.

I wonder if the proximity/light sensor is flakey?

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I had to experiment with mine after reading this. I don't seem to have the issue. I have no screen protector. Works fine in normal light. I went into a dark room for a call and the proximity sensor worked as expected.

I wonder if the proximity/light sensor is flakey?

+1 working here also.

sent from my Evo4LTE

Sh3ngLong

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I removed the ZAGG HD screen protector yesterday and so far my proximity sensor is working correctly in any light conditions.

spants

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Haven't tested the sensor but I have been getting the same behavior with a completely bare screen.

One thing I have noticed looking at the area is that the top of the glass on my screen is not actually flush with the body, as it should be..could that be a cause of bad sensor behavior?

My screen is flush and I'm still having problems.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC