Sprint Zone

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Well, I guess it should not surprise me that Sprint made it so we cannot disable Sprint Zone with the ICS app disable feature.

But when you go into Sprint Zone, there is no menu button option. There is no "..." symbol, there is no options button, there is no longer a menu key. So I can find absolutely no way to turn off Sprint Zone notifications or any other settings for Sprint Zone like I could on the Evo 3D.

Am I missing something obvious?

-----
UPDATE EDIT: As you will see later in the thread, Sprint DID omit the menu button/option, so there was no way to set preferences for notifications. This ability to get into the menu was added in a later update, although you still can't disable Sprint Zone.

Last edited:

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I can't be the only one horribly annoyed by Sprint Zone notifications, can I? Granted, none have come yet, but it is just a matter of time.

ericj12

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
they dont bother me. its no different than getting some stupid email from best buy or something. i think in the past 2 years ive gotten maybe 10 tops. one every couple of months is nothing to get upset over. now if it was once or twice a day i would be on the phone with sprint asking them how to stop them...

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had any notifications from Sprint Zone and don't know how to turn them off. I have found some useful info in there and in the help section it told me I had a PRL update available. I'm going to give the Zone a chance this time around.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
they dont bother me. its no different than getting some stupid email from best buy or something. i think in the past 2 years ive gotten maybe 10 tops. one every couple of months is nothing to get upset over. now if it was once or twice a day i would be on the phone with sprint asking them how to stop them...

ANY notifications from places I don't want really annoys me. More principle than anything else. Besides, if you get a few from this and a few from that, they add up to a major annoyance.

Is it that Sprint Zone is just broken in ICS and because there is no menu key, they forgot to add one or something?

ericj12

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
ANY notifications from places I don't want really annoys me. More principle than anything else. Besides, if you get a few from this and a few from that, they add up to a major annoyance.

Is it that Sprint Zone is just broken in ICS and because there is no menu key, they forgot to add one or something?

they probably want it to be tethered to the device and not give people the ability to turn it off. and i get that it can be annoying. maybe i'm just numb to getting stuff i dont care about since i get a handful of "junkmail" and advertising emails each week. i also get texts from the local sports teams and local sports media and i dont care about what some of them say so i just ignore some of them. i guess im just desensitized to unnecessary notifications. lol.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
They've never really been that annoying to me, and I use Sprint Zone to pay my bill, anyway, as I've been paperless billing for the last several years. I have a folder in my email account just to keep my Sprint stuff sorted, and it isn't a bad thing to me.

grayin

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
We should be able to turn it off. There is one minor area in the app that might be useful to some people. The "My Device" section has a screen that shows a few things in one place that are a little harder to find elsewhere.

Anthonicia

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Well if u would root your phone u can do away with 90% of your issues. The other 9.9% someone is working to fix.

Feel like I'm a parent telling my kids to just have patience til your bday to get your presents. All I hear is No, I want it now because I will take you back and get a daddy with 2 gb hmmphh!

Sent from OG EVO LTE with Android Central Forums

mggm100

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Feel like I'm a parent telling my kids to just have patience til your bday to get your presents. All I hear is No, I want it now because I will take you back and get a daddy with 2 gb hmmphh!

Sent from OG EVO LTE with Android Central Forums

So many trivial complaints, so much wasted time and energy.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Android Central Forums

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Well if u would root your phone u can do away with 90% of your issues. The other 9.9% someone is working to fix.

When I rooted my Evo OG, it stopped getting all updates and there was no way to unroot it without blowing everything away with reflashing an RUU. Blech. We shouldn't have to root a phone to turn off Sprint Zone notifications or to disable the app. ICS allows disabling all apps.... EXCEPT the one Sprint decided that we, as children, simply must have.

If there is an easy way to root AND unroot the Evo LTE, with zero risk of having to reflash or lose updates, I might end up doing it in an attempt to fix the very irritating "multitasking" issues and it disconnecting WiFi when asleep.... disabling Sprint Zone would just be a bonus.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I have never gotton sprint zone notifications.

On THIS phone I haven't yet. Not sure if it is just because it doesn't do that now (which I doubt) or Sprint hasn't sent any yet. Happened regularly on the Evo 3D, but there was an option to "unsubscribe" to all the various "channels", and it worked. It is missing in THIS version of Sprint Zone.

vinniemac

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
On THIS phone I haven't yet. Not sure if it is just because it doesn't do that now (which I doubt) or Sprint hasn't sent any yet. Happened regularly on the Evo 3D, but there was an option to "unsubscribe" to all the various "channels", and it worked. It is missing in THIS version of Sprint Zone.

A poem for you:

Yesterday on the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there,
He wasn't there again today,
I wish to God he'd go away.

Reactions: Anthonicia

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Today there was an update of the Sprint Zone app. Lo and behold- there is now a menu button!!! And if you go into the menu, then choose settings, there is "Enable Notifications"!! Of course it is checked "on" and of course I immediately unchecked it!

Good job Sprint! :)

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
How do you disable apps?

You go into settings-> apps-> all. Then you select the app and click on "DISABLE".

NOTE: You can't disable a built-in app if there have been updates on it. You have to first uninstall the updates.

NOTE: Before disabling, it is a good idea to force stop it, and clear its cache/data (clear data).

NOTE: Be very careful what system and/or service and/or preinstalled app you disable. You can render the phone very messed up.

NOTE: You can't disable Sprint Zone. Sprint made sure of that.

Reactions: kiwicarlos741

sonicraf

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
hey crxssi

i am with you on this !

totally outraged at sprint for pulling such a low blow. in the past i was able to stop it by texting something to them but looks like that no longer works.

and today i got a message from them: "sprint one news update - thanks for making this year special"

w t f !

so i looked at application settings, and all i could do was "force stop" .. the disable button is... disabled.

glenninduluth

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I hate the Sprint Zone notifications as well. One trick I have found to stopping them is this: When you power on your phone, go into the apps listing and just hit force close Sprint Zone. It will inevitably start back up on it's own but the notifications don't start again. This has always worked for stopping the notifications on both my 3D before and now my LTE. If your like most and don't actually power your phone on and off that much it's not to big of a deal. Having just read the previous post about there now being an option in the settings to stop notifications (that was news to me:)), I will be giving that a try.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2