So... foxfi works on the Evo

decke003

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I was under the impression that foxfi (a no root tethering app) did not work on any HTC phone.... out of shear boredom I decided to install it just to see what would happen.

Low and behold, I am now typing this from my kindle fire while tethering it to my unrooted Evo.

I don't seem to be able to use any wireless security, but that is a minor issue to me.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Yes, working for me too but I figure that HTC or Sprint will send out an update that breaks it. I don't need wifi tethering often.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Indeed it does work. I agree that it probably won't last. Too bad Foxfi has no way to screen incoming connections like many of the other apps do.

Reactions: teejay69

decke003

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Well hopefully, with sprint pulling the direct link from the play store, it will take longer for them or HTC to take notice... fingers crossed.

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
An update shouldn't keep foxfi from working. I have it on my Epic 4G Touch and it works fine. I also have the apk file on my Google Drive so I can install it without sprint blocking it in the market.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
An update shouldn't keep foxfi from working. I have it on my Epic 4G Touch and it works fine. I also have the apk file on my Google Drive so I can install it without sprint blocking it in the market.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

I tried to download it from Google Play, and it didn't show up. Then I downloaded the version from the web for Sprint phones, and the updated version worked, but with very limited data. Something like a limit of 186 MB for the app. The older version wasn't limited.

decke003

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure if this is because I downloaded it before it was blocked, but all I have to do is google search "foxfi" from my phones browser and click on the google play link and it opens google play and downloads no problem.

da.bell

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't seem to be able to use any wireless security, but that is a minor issue to me.

True but I don't want everyone and their brother connecting either. I do hope they get the security part functioning correctly.

Does anyone else know how to change the name of the connection? I've looked in various locations and for the life of me can't find where the name "AndroidAP" is located. :(

Thanks in advance

decke003

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
AndroidAP is the default name for tethering in AOSP ICS. I am assuming HTC left this functionality in the phone but took away the ability to access it, and foxfi is accessing this hidden function... This is of course a complete hunch with nothing concrete to back it up. Makes sense to me though.

Reactions: da.bell

Ronedy Moore

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
so, I'm the only one that's getting the error message "WiFI mode can not be activated on HTC phones due to an HTC hotspot lock. Please use Bluetooth Mode instead. ???

TrueDrooid

May 22, 2010
Visit site
so, I'm the only one that's getting the error message "WiFI mode can not be activated on HTC phones due to an HTC hotspot lock. Please use Bluetooth Mode instead. ???

Im getting the same message too, tried two version, like the 1.90 with the same results for each... maybe i missed the flight :-(

k000

May 12, 2012
Visit site
How can it change unless Sprint pushed out silent updates.... As I didn't see any updates to os/fw getting updated.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

k000

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Actually I just installed it via the link in this forum and it worked without a hitch.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Vysse

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Downloaded it and when I turn on WiFi hotspot it turns on my WiFi and uses that.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2